Advice on a new Hybrid Bike Please: £500 - £700 Budget

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Corsica_13

Corsica_13

In fact the Giant does have a carbon fork, it’s often described as ‘composite’, a aluminium steerer with carbon blades.
Sorry if that’s made it harder! Like I said the two are pretty evenly matched on paper and it might just be the colour that settles it.
Both use a screw in type bottom bracket so no danger of the dreaded pressfit.

Thanks for your reply, I called Broadribb to ask some questions about the Whyte Cambridge and he said they have a few in stock. I also asked him about the Carbon / Aluminium forks and which were better, he actually said Aluminium forks are better but carbon helps to alleviate a lot of the bumping due to the materials not being as rigid as Aluminum, which makes sense.

What's interesting though, is that all higher priced bikes from £800 - £2000+ have carbon forks or even frame, so if Aluminum is better, why is it more expensive for carbon?

On the other hand, I'm still struggling to decide what bike to go for, too many options! :wacko::wacko::wacko:

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks for your reply, I called Broadribb to ask some questions about the Whyte Cambridge and he said they have a few in stock. I also asked him about the Carbon / Aluminium forks and which were better, he actually said Aluminium forks are better but carbon helps to alleviate a lot of the bumping due to the materials not being as rigid as Aluminum, which makes sense.

What's interesting though, is that all higher priced bikes from £800 - £2000+ have carbon forks or even frame, so if Aluminum is better, why is it more expensive for carbon?

On the other hand, I'm still struggling to decide what bike to go for, too many options! :wacko::wacko::wacko:
Carbon forks are lighter :okay:

just buy the one you like the look of most that meets your spec and budget.:okay:

OP
OP
Corsica_13

Corsica_13

Will you buy online or at the bike store? If bike store (and my preferred route), and assuming the staff at the LBS are good, then just buy what they have in store (or can order from them).

I think the bikes are pretty similar at that price range. I got my SO a Boardman 8.6HYB. Its kinda light and it's kinda fine.

But generally, i think you'd do well with a hybrid, flat bar, road oriented bike and maybe you'd like mudguards too (get proper mudguards if you do get some). Spend £100 or so on muti tool, track pump, portable pump, lights, inner tubes, lock, helmet, shorts.

Thanks so much for your input and advice regarding the bike, tools and mudguards etc. all things that I'm also taking into consideration and are equally as important as the bike. In all honesty, at the moment, I'm struggling to decide on which bike but your mention of the Boardman has really taken my fancy...

https://www.boardmanbikes.com/gb_en/products/2181-hyb-8.6-grey.html

Are these good bikes then, how do you think it will hold out on my commute + weekend rides, would you rate it against the other bikes I referenced before?

I will be buying online hence why the decision is somewhat harder and we don't have any decent bike shops around here neither are they open due to Covid-19.

Thanks again :okay:

OP
OP
Corsica_13

Corsica_13

OP
OP
Corsica_13

Corsica_13

Do you fit the Whyte?

If yes, buy it. Notwithstanding a couple of points I made, it's a fine bike and rides very nicely. I suspect Vickster would agree.

Based on their sizing, yes I would fit it but I'm buying online so not had the chance to test it physically.

As per my last message, Grant Fonto mentioned he's 6ft3" and the Whyte XL was too big for him even though the sizing on the site suggests XL is for 5ft11" - 6ft4" which is what has thrown me off slightly going ahead with the purchase!

I think I will just go for the Whyte once I can have some reassurance the sizing will be OK.

Thanks all ^_^

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer

The mass produced stuff is a mixture of carbon and aluminium, depending on price and the whim of the manufacturer. The real high end custom stuff is often still made of steel, and personally I won't buy or ride anything made of either carbon fibre or aluminium - primarily because of the way those materials tend to fail.

OP
OP
Corsica_13

Corsica_13

The mass produced stuff is a mixture of carbon and aluminium, depending on price and the whim of the manufacturer. The real high end custom stuff is often still made of steel, and personally I won't buy or ride anything made of either carbon fibre or aluminium - primarily because of the way those materials tend to fail.

Thanks for your response.
Surely steel is a lot heavier though?

Smudge

Veteran
Based on their sizing, yes I would fit it but I'm buying online so not had the chance to test it physically.

As per my last message, Grant Fonto mentioned he's 6ft3" and the Whyte XL was too big for him even though the sizing on the site suggests XL is for 5ft11" - 6ft4" which is what has thrown me off slightly going ahead with the purchase!

I think I will just go for the Whyte once I can have some reassurance the sizing will be OK.

Thanks all ^_^

Frame size isn't as simple as just someones height..... and an XL size frame will vary from make & model.
If i'm buying a bike online, I always check the dimensions of all parts of the frame, against a bike that i know fits me well. Allowing some leeway for adjustment.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
If the choice on a bike is between aluminium , carbon or steel I’d go for steel or carbon every time for a fork.

As @Smudge says you need to check the frame dimensions very carefully before buying. Once you’ve checked the ‘Victor Silvester’ dimension is okay look at the reach, although this can be adjusted with a different stem.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Surely steel is a lot heavier though?

Depends on the steel and it depends on what you are comparing it to. Generally, the lightest material for a frame will be carbon fibre. Aluminium may be lighter than steel, then again it may not.
Weight is not the only consideration in choosing frame materials. cost always comes into it, so does failure mode, repairability, fatigue life, ride quality, and sound transmission.

vickster

Legendary Member

Thanks all ^_^
Where’s your height? Legs or torso?
I’m a leggy just under 5’10 and the large R7 was fine for me. If your height is upper body, I reckon it’ll be fine. Why not ask the seller?

faster

Über Member

The way those materials tend to fail is probably best described as 'rarely'.

Top Bottom