Advice on a new Hybrid Bike Please: £500 - £700 Budget

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Corsica_13

Corsica_13

OP
OP
Corsica_13

Corsica_13

The Whyte Cambridge does indeed look like a very good deal. Don't know anything about the SRAM groupset but it should perform well. The only thing it doesn't specify is if the BB is pressfit or not. I'd stay away from pressfit if you can.
The other one to consider is the similar Giant Fastroad which also looks good on paper. It'll be better than the Toughroad which has fat tyres while comfortable will feel slugish on tarmac.
Both have narrow tyres which will feel quick on the road and should suit your needs. Both take a rack and guards.
If the Whyte is your size I'd go for it or if you want the more familiar Shimano groupset go with Giant, I'd say they are fairly evenly matched.
There's very little advantage to having a 1x chainset, there's one less shifter and one less chainring but you'll get a much lower bottom gear with the double on the Cambridge plus you'll get a better spread of gears if that's important to you.

Interestingly I can also see the Giant doesn't have the Carbon forks or peddles, the Whyte Cambridge does have the carbon forks and also comes with fibre reinforced composite pedals :thumbsup:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
In fact the Giant does have a carbon fork, it’s often described as ‘composite’, a aluminium steerer with carbon blades.
Sorry if that’s made it harder! Like I said the two are pretty evenly matched on paper and it might just be the colour that settles it.
Both use a screw in type bottom bracket so no danger of the dreaded pressfit.

Last edited:

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
AIUI composite is a portmanteau term for well, composites (of all sorts of things), just as alloy is, for er, alloys (of all sorts of things), but they have come to mean/be used for carbon fibre and aluminium respectively :smile:

vickster

Legendary Member
Cambridge. Colour, frame shape and brand preference (and I’ve owned one)
The pedals will most likely just be cheap plastic aka composite. You’ll probably want to upgrade to some better metal ones

vickster

Legendary Member
Maybe, certainly would not use the pedals as a reason to choose one bike over the other.

The Cambridge just looks so much better, cleaner :okay:

mustang1

Legendary Member
Will you buy online or at the bike store? If bike store (and my preferred route), and assuming the staff at the LBS are good, then just buy what they have in store (or can order from them).

I think the bikes are pretty similar at that price range. I got my SO a Boardman 8.6HYB. Its kinda light and it's kinda fine.

But generally, i think you'd do well with a hybrid, flat bar, road oriented bike and maybe you'd like mudguards too (get proper mudguards if you do get some). Spend £100 or so on muti tool, track pump, portable pump, lights, inner tubes, lock, helmet, shorts.

sleuthey

Legendary Member
Thank you for your feedback but I think I'd prefer more gears in all honesty, though it's been a while since I've ridden so unless I tried, it's hard to say.
Thanks again!
Surprised it was in your shortlist then!
I hope you extend your type of riding to make use of the extra gears and get the best of them, best of luck.

vickster

Legendary Member
Looks a decent bike, not seen too much on this brand, is it reliable? They seem to have sold out everywhere I've looked!

Decent little write up on it too...

https://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/cheap-flat-barred-commuter-oh-yes/

Thanks for your recommendation.
The last post in this thread suggests that there could be an issue if the build out of the box is not done perfectly (apparently it needs quite a lot of assembly). Given the price, could just pay LBS to build
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/buying-2-bikes-any-advice-appreciated.258710/page-3#post-5940728

Last edited:
Top Bottom