Advice on a new Hybrid Bike Please: £500 - £700 Budget

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smudge

Veteran
Hello all,

Thanks again for everyone's recent input and advice.

I finally managed to order the bike I originally wanted after really struggling to make my mind up, I went for the Whyte Cambridge:

https://www.discountcyclesdirect.co.uk/catalog/product.php?CI_ID=20753&Item='Whyte Cambridge Urban Hybrid Commuter Bike'

I ordered from this Website which wasn't the best customer experience in all honesty, the whole ordering part of the transaction could only be handled online via email and the over the phone advice on the bike itself, I felt the guy just wanted to get me off the phone, didn't seem to care I was about to spend £600.

Despite the experience, this is the bike I really wanted and couldn't get it anywhere else so decided to go ahead with the order last week, anyway it arrived today and I was super excited.

However upon unwrapping it, I discovered the following on the frame...

View attachment 520019

View attachment 520020

View attachment 520021

A small dent - absolutely gutted to say the least! After months of research, reading and watching content, I finally made my purchase and I receive damaged goods, so typical! :cry:

It's strange how the dent could have appeared because there is no obvious damage on the box it came in and it had those polystyrene wraps and cardboard protecting it 🧐

The returns policy on the website says you have to pay and arrange for your own returns etc. all a massive headache, I didn't even get to build it and test it, so disappointed!

I've raised a returns request with them with all the images etc., let's see what they come back with tomorrow, if they even respond that quickly!

Has anyone else ever received a damaged bike, if so how was it handled and what outcome did you have?

Thanks,

What a pisser, i would be absolute fuming about that. They are an incompetent company not to notice that frame damage before sending a bike out. It should be down to them to organise a courier to collect that bike, at their expense.
If you paid by credit card, contact them and see what they can do.

vickster

Legendary Member
The frame is damaged, you shouldn’t have to pay for the return
They do say this
For faulty items or if an item been dispatched incorrectly, we will refund the postage costs if the item is returned via 'Royal Mail Recorded' service or a standard delivery service. We will not reimburse for Royal Mail Special Delivery or more expensive courier services.
Talk to them

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Oh dear, sorry about that. I’m sure you’ll be okay with the replacement.
Did the damage happen in transit do you think?
Some of these online companies are ‘box movers’ and while you’ll get a good deal you can’t expect them to make love to you.

vickster

Legendary Member
Oh dear, sorry about that. I’m sure you’ll be okay with the replacement.
Did the damage happen in transit do you think?
Some of these online companies are ‘box movers’ and while you’ll get a good deal you can’t expect them to make love to you.
They’re a bike shop too (more than one in Oxon), not just a warehouse. They’ve had decent feedback in the past.

It’s a old model, possibly ex display, hence the big discount. Maybe it got bashed historically, repacked and just shipped out. From other feedback, they don’t do a full build or PDI on online sales.
Clearly not an excuse but a possible explanation

COYS

The frame is damaged, you shouldn’t have to pay for the return
They do say this
For faulty items or if an item been dispatched incorrectly, we will refund the postage costs if the item is returned via 'Royal Mail Recorded' service or a standard delivery service. We will not reimburse for Royal Mail Special Delivery or more expensive courier services.
Talk to them

They definitely need a phone call about this because recorded or standard Royal Mail is only insured for up to £50! If they won't play ball then next phone call is to your credit card company

vickster

Legendary Member
They definitely need a phone call about this because recorded or standard Royal Mail is only insured for up to £50! If they won't play ball then next phone call is to your credit card company
And I don’t think RM move bike sized boxes?

vickster

Legendary Member
Large parcel via Parcelforce 2nd class is up to 20kg £50 insured, 2nd class and £29.55

...not that I had just looked it up in curiosity ^_^
I don’t know if PF is considered RM
@Corsica_13 did you speak to Broadribb?

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
I don’t know if PF is considered RM
Joint branding, same price list, part of the same organisation afaik - and you can't use RM to return a bike as it's above their weight & size criteria. £28.80 now I do it more exactly on here:
https://www.royalmail.com/price-finder

...or OP would have to reduce the size of the bike somewhat to post via an RM service, and it's already damaged enough, I think!

OP
OP
Corsica_13

Corsica_13

Hello all,

So I managed to get a pretty swift resolution with Broadribb / DCD and to be fair to them, their returns team were absolutely spot on and very helpful indeed. They got on the case immediately yesterday morning and checked with Whyte directly about the impact to the frame, this is what they had to say:

We have been confirmed by Whyte that the frame’s integrity would not be affected and will be suited to be used as normal. If you are happy to accept the bike we would be able to offer a further 15% off the price of the bike.

I decided that this would be a really good offer meaning that I would get the bike for £510 and I could live with the small dent with the knowledge the bikes' safety is not affected. I also have it in writing so if any issues with the frame arose in the future, I feel reassured I would be covered by the lifetime warranty.

After agreeing to their offer, I went ahead and built the bike last night and took it for a test ride this morning:

1588803383379.png

Having not ridden for well over 10 years, after only 8.4 miles I was struggling a bit to say the least lol, overall a very pleasurable ride and a happy camper! :tongue:

My only gripe is the saddle is a bit on the harsh side, I was feeling it after the ride, the ride does also feel very stiff but I've never had a road / hybrid bike before now so I'll have to get used to it (only ever had Mountain bikes and BMX's when I was younger).

Thanks again for everyone's feedback and assistance! 👍

vickster

Legendary Member
If the ride is harsh, let a little air out of the tyres?
Your rear likely needs to get used to cycling, persevere with the saddle

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I’m glad you got it all resolved to your satisfaction. I think I’d have pushed them to 20% :whistle: but if you’re happy that’s fine.
The saddle will take a bit of getting used to but if you want an immediate improvement buy some cheap padded shorts (Decathlon do some).
If you haven’t got one buy a Track Pump so you can change your TPs. It’s a balance between comfort and speed but you’ll soon find the sweet spot. Also get a multi tool , some tyre levers and a spare inner tube to carry when out.
Enjoy.

Top Bottom