Advice on bearing condition please.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
I've never worked on bearings before so improving my knowledge by servicing the cup and cone front hub on the mtb. It had a bit of a grumble going on so thought I'd have a look.

The balls look fine to me but the cones look pitted, one more than the other.
The races in the hub look ok to my untrained eye.

Any comments from these not great pics welcomed.

DSC_0644.JPG

DSC_0645.JPG

DSC_0644.JPG

DSC_0643.JPG

DSC_0642.JPG

DSC_0641.JPG

DSC_0640.JPG

DSC_0638.JPG

DSC_0637.JPG

DSC_0635.JPG

Last edited:

overmind

My other bike is a Pinarello
The drive side cone nuts look a bit pitted but the bb's look ok. Hubs look ok to me. I once had a set which collapsed.

Agreed the drive side cone looks knackered. Pick up a new one at the lbs along with new balls.
I fear it won't be quite that simple. There are an incredible, nay senseless, number of different cones. Lasf time I had to replace some it was simpler to buy a new hub and swap fhe internals over.

Reactions: C R

iluvmybike

Über Member
Take one of the cones along to your LBS - they will likely have a boxful and you'll get one to fit

SJSC have a large range of cones of varying dimensions. @Salty seadog what make is the hub?
Yes they do tim but that's the problem - which one?
Not criticising sjsc but the prices of individual cones can seem kind of disproportionate. God knows why shimano needs so many different ones.

Salty, my eyes are having a bit of trouble with your pics, and I am not necessarily the best judge, but have you tried putting it all back together with lots of quality grease, adjusting well and seeing how it feels? I found a slightly damaged looking cone the other week and did that. It all feels decent and definitely spins well. Have resolved to be better on hub maintenance in future - big 1lb tub of nice grease is on its way to me. Congratulations on making the move to hub maintenance - took me years and years - used to just ignore them. The good news is that I have been led to believe by someone who knows waywmore than me that with proper maintenance shimano loose ball hubs will lasf and last. No need for cartridge bearing nonsence.
Edit - i see it's not a shimano. Off to bike shop fingers crossed, if no luck try cleaning and greasing. Can recommend finish line teflon grease.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Salty seadog

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
Congratulations on making the move to hub maintenance - took me years and years - used to just ignore them.

Yes , I try and do my own work but was hesitant when it came to anything with bearings for some reason. Used to be lbs time.

You seem to have been careful with your disassembly and labelling.

Thanks. Always research a new task beforehand.

Venod

Eh up
No need for cartridge bearing nonsence.

I have owned and have no problem servicing cup and cone hubs, but when I buy new hubs or wheels I always look for cartridge bearings, they are fit and forget, when the bearings need replacement make sure good quality ones are fitted and your good for thousands of more miles, a cup and cone well looked after will last years but will need more maintenance IMO.

I have owned and have no problem servicing cup and cone hubs, but when I buy new hubs or wheels I always look for cartridge bearings, they are fit and forget, when the bearings need replacement make sure good quality ones are fitted and your good for thousands of more miles, a cup and cone well looked after will last years but will need more maintenance IMO.
Fair answer, but I have had problems. I once had cartridge bearings disintegate in a headset (though it was dahon specified) which gave the whole thing an incredible wobble for of course once the cartridge goes you are left with a load of tiny unsupported bits. It would be unusual to get that problem with loose balls. Also with catrtride bearings you have to keep a careful note of which ones you need - angles etc.
Each to their own of course but I'm personally glad that Shimano has stuck to ball bearing hubs. And by the by my XT hubs are nigh on 15 years old and only been serviced twice - once by a shop (at least they said they did) and once recently by me - not that I'd recommend this. It's every year, possibly every 6 months from now on. I'm then pretty confident any decent hub will outlive me - possibly with the original bearings.

Edit -the front XT hub actually uses a nylon holder for the loose balls

overmind

My other bike is a Pinarello
Yes , I try and do my own work but was hesitant when it came to anything with bearings for some reason. Used to be lbs time.

I used to hate bearings/axles but then I found a video that talked about using something called an axle vice. Ever since I have used that method. I just clamp the axle in a portable vice (that I clamp to a table). I then loosen/remove the top lock nut and cone and work on one side. Then flip it over and work on the other. I use a cone spanner and an adjustable spanner to loosen the lock nut/cone.

video:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dwNZQPNf-4

Top Bottom