Advice on clothing...asking first this time

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

k turner

Hi there again.

On a limited budget, I dont want to make a mistake like I did with the bike, although all worked out well in the end.

I need to feed pony twice a day in winter, 6am and 4pm. What will be the most important purchase, besides lights.

have found that even on wet days the last few weeks I have been using t-shirt and shorts (normal ones) as I get very hot.

I already have very warm horseriding clothes but not all that waterproof and I have waterproof overtrousers for horseridiing, and I have tried cycling in the wellies and riding boots they are fine too. Also have lots of leather gloves.

It is the top half I need to sort out, I have feather, very warm but not too waterproof.

I was thinking long or short sleeve base layer and jacket. At 47 I have hot flushes as well as trying to cycle, really dont want to get too hot.

Could I just wear shorts under my waterproof trousers and normal t-shirt under cycling jacket. Get very hot mucking out and catching pony when I get there, so dont want to be overheating.

I have been reading up on internet sites on brands and shops and the type of thing I may need.

Any suggestions, favourite site so far Evans Cycles.

Globalti

Legendary Member
For jobs and activities, which make you hot you don't want any thermal insulation but at the same time you need protection from rain, wind and dirt. I find that a snug-fitting polypropylene top like a Helly Hansen Lifa (the one with the stripes on the arms, which runners wear) under a Goretex outer layer is a pretty good combination. However polypropylene does have the ability to absorb and hold odour molecules so there's a good reason why they are known as smelly Hellies. In the last couple of years I've discovered the benefits of merino wool next to the skin; it doesn't smell, it's luvverly and soft and it doesn't feel as clammy when it gets damp. Howies do some nice wool shirts. The last thing you want is cotton, which gets damp and clammy and is difficult to dry. Hope this helps.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
There is good and breathable waterproof material available. It tends to be expensive but you should get years out of it. As Rigid Raider says, Helly Hansen is a good manufacturer, as are Fjell Raven and Rohan. Your best solution IMO would be to start your ride with thin stuff next to the skin and with a waterproof shell. In your rucksack or pannier you can carry a warm layer for when you get to wear the ponies are as you don't want all the cycling generated sweat to chill you half to death.

The most important bits to keep warm in my experience are hands and feet. If you haven't got a pair of goretex shoes then consider waterproof cycling overshoes. There is nothing more demoralising than cold, wet feet at any time of year.

OP
OP
k turner

k turner

hellies was my first choice but I will heed the warning and go for marinowool which was my second choice. I was going for the Gore jacket if I can afford it, because my existing feather and down one has lasted me 10years so far and is the best I have got, so I am prepared to spend more on a jacket.

Definately need the wellies for the mud in the fields, have already checked that I can ride in them.

thanks. now about where to buy, is the internet a good choice as there is a wide choice and my halfords doesnt have anything, neither does langset cycles. anyone in sheffield have any ideas?

Arch

Married to Night Train
If you find waterproof trousers are too sweaty, you can get waterproof shorts, or even better Rainlegs. Designed for stuff like cycling and horseriding, they keep the worse of the wet off your thighs (which is the miserable bit to get wet, I find) but aren't sweaty because of the open backs. They're chaps, basically. They roll up very small, and you can wear them rolled up round your waist if you think it might rain, and then unroll them quickly when you need to - I find with full length W/P trousers, I'm hopping about trying to get into them in the rain...

BTW, I've done the cycling in Jodhpurs and boots thing, it gets you some funny looks in the middle of York. Not as much as the riding crop sticking out of the pannier though!:smile:

OP
OP
k turner

k turner

Arch - that made me laugh out loud. Yes I do look a little odd in riding gear on the bike, but yesterday, I led my child-sharer, on my pony on the road and I was wearing my bike helmet because it was cooler than the riding hat!

I have had a lot of fun on websites today, about 25 I think. Getting to know all the brands and materials now. Should have done this before I bought the first bike instead of trusting the shop guys.

Thanks for all the new names I am being given.

may i suggest wiggle??????

just used them first time last week, chose the free delivery option (pay for express delivery) and ordered after 12 noon, the stuff arrived the next morning!!- so why pay for express delivery?

anyway, if new customers spend over 50, they get free sunglasses if referred to them by an existing customer..- theyre good and all, well, im happy with mine anyway (and i for one would be happy to refer you, and get a voucher for doing it hehe)

OP
OP
k turner

k turner

Definately doing the lidl thing next thursday, it is my daughters 21st as well, so cant spend too much, or arrive at the party in dycling gear, no matter how fashionable it is.

I will get lidl stuff now, and slowly buy the expensive fashion tops during winter, one or two a month. Of course that means next summer I get to buy summer kit as well :blush:

Top Bottom