Advice on Cycle Shoes Please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Your advice welcome please;

I have been using a pair of crane cycling shoes for the passed 2 years or so, my mileage is 60 ish over an 8 day period.

They are the type with cleat fittings (which I do not use) 2 Velcro straps a one lever type strap at the top.

They have become a bit sloppy over the past few weeks and my knees tend to ache a little. (Not sure if the two are related).

My ride IS a Giant City CRS 2

1. Would the full cleat set be of any benefit to me?

2. Do you think the now sloppy fit may be the cause of my knee ache?

3. What type of none cleat type shoe would be best, a normal trainer maybe?

Cheers :smile:

upsidedown

Waiting for the great leap forward
If you're using flat pedals then i would think anything with a soft sole would be ok. Cycling shoes for cleats tend to have stiff soles for good power transfer, if you're not using cleats in them i would think they'd be pretty difficult to cycle in.

Trevrev

Veteran
If i wasn't clipless, i'd use trainers with toeclips.
Which is what i used to use!!!!
Toeclips just to stop your feet slipping off the pedals. Don't see the point in cycling shoes without using the cleats though !!!

snapper_37

Barbara Woodhouse's Love Child
Bay Runner said:
1. Would the full cleat set be of any benefit to me?
Cheers :bravo:

Well yes.

But you have said you don't use cleats :evil:. Why not?

In any case, you can buy a decent pair of imo MTB shoes and just leave the cleat covers on.

MajorMantra

Trevrev said:
Don't see the point in cycling shoes without using the cleats though !!!

Well, cycling shoes will have a stiffer sole which means you're less likely to get sore feet over longer distances. More efficient too.

That said, I'd strongly recommend getting some SPDs or similar to take full advantage of your shoes.

Also, consider that the Crane shoes may just not fit all that well. I was satisfied with mine for a while but did have some minor foot pain with them. FWIW my Specialized and Sidi shoes are definitely more comfortable though obviously my feet are different to yours.

Matthew

OP
OP
Bay Runner

Bay Runner

Guru
Well I have gone for a pair of trainers and toe clips.

What a difference, the knee pain has gone and the heart rate is up and I get more of a sweat on.

I decided not to go for SPDs as I take in a steep hill with busy traffic and three roundabouts within a few hundred yards – stop start.

Top Bottom