Advice on first road bike on a budget, please!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Megan

Hello,

Have become obsessed with buying my first road bike, and am finding myself spending hours on ebay and in review forums, wading through conflicting advice and sizing confusion. Have narrowed it down to a few options (I think!) but would be grateful for any advice...

I am only 5'3" with an inside leg of 28" (if I'm measuring right), so being a shortie is going to be a factor. Also I have only ridden a road bike for five minutes at Decathlon, so I don't know how it's supposed to feel. I haven't been properly sized yet, two shops have given me advice that conflicted with what I read online. Dont know if I need a 48, 49 or 51, but know it may depend on brand. Argh!

What do people think about these options:
Second hand Raleigh Airlite 100 (2009 model, but never been ridden) £220, 48cm/19".
Brand new Raleigh Airlite 100, 2011 model, £369, 48cm/51cm.
Second hand Specialized Dolce women's specific 51cm (not sure if Sport or Elite), history unknown, £220, if I can ever get the guy to answer his phone, may no longer be available.
Second hand Giant TCR W (women's specific), Small, 2007 (so quite old? Been ridden a fair bit I think) £250.

Comments, advice, other suggestions all appreciated!

Megan

vickster

Legendary Member
51cm sounds quite big if you are 5'3 although a women's specific geometry may suit? I am 5'9.5 and ride a 55cm. If looking at a Specialized, the 2010 catalogue says 48cm if 5'1 - 5'3 or 51cm if 5'3-5'5. It's always advised to get a bike that is a little small as you can always add a longer stem, wider bars etc. It's harder to make a bike with a frame that is too big smaller

£250 for a 5 year old bike sounds quite a lot when looking at the Giant, unless it has had all new components lately

http://www.raleigh.co.uk/ProductType/ProductRange/Product/Default.aspx?pc=1&pt=14&pg=7874 Sizing guide for Raleigh, inside leg of 28" = a 17" or 18" frame. Do you have short arms too?

What's your max budget?

Do you have an Evans nearby - they are very accommodating on test rides (just need to pay a penny on a credit card)

PpPete

Legendary Member
Go Outdoors seem to stock Raleigh Airlite range. Not always very accomodating about test rides but if you have a shop near you it's worth asking.

OP
OP
M

Megan

Hi
Thanks for replying. What you say about making it bigger but not smaller makes sense. I thought the Giant a bit pricey, too, but wasnt sure if the brand held its price better than others. I don't know whether I have short arms, how do you tell?!

Max budget, well, ideally I wanted to spend as little as possible and get something knackered to bash around, but I now think that's probably unwise, so I'm thinking max of £200 ish for second hand, maybe a bit more for nearly new but not from a shop (like the £220 Raleigh). However, I can see that it might make sense to spend up to the £370 ish mark and buy new from a shop, although tbh I dont really have £370 to spare, so will have to smile sweetly at my other half to do that, and then REALLY hope that I take to it in a big way. And dont fall off too much!

Megan

vickster

Legendary Member
Hop on the train to the big smoke one Saturday or Sunday? Evans, CycleSurgery, On Your Bike etc...

I think there are LBS's in Orpington and Bromley if not wanting to go so far?

OP
OP
M

Megan

There's a Go Outdoors at Lakeside, thanks for the tip, I might try there. But then, where would I ride it around lakeside?! Would be terrifying. I went to Evans, but waited ages for someone to speak to me, and all the bikes were too big, and very £££££. They said I could order one in on deposit and try it out, but I felt a bit like a fish out of water in there.

vickster

Legendary Member
Just seen your reply - the thing with getting something knackered, will probably end up costing you more if you need new bits that are worn out, especially if mechanically challenged like me

Evans offer interest free over £300 for a year http://www.evanscycles.com/help/finance

Formbycycles do IFC too http://www.formbycycles.co.uk/page/20/0_Finance and probably others

You shouldn't really fall off at all...stick to normal pedals for now..it's not a habit to get into (believe me, I still have a gammy knee over 2 years on).

Given the limited budget, I'd go for the Decathlon Triban 3. Take some time off work and head to lakeside on a weekday and ask for some help. From what I understand, their staff are generally very good and helpful. The problem is there aren't many models available new in your budget (as you have seen at Evans)

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-3-id_8167038.html

I think you'll get a feel on a test ride but you won't know if road riding is for you. I have done several hundred miles on mine and I am still not sure (I have to learn to love it as I have a custom built carbon jobbie lol)

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
buy a proper bike ie steel its real

go for a nice vintage or retro machine from the 80's

always loads around from trusted sellers

OP
OP
M

Megan

The thing with Evans, is everything seems more expensive anyway, so it's a whole new minefield of middle - high range bikes. Any suggestions as to what might be a good start from their lower price range? The Allez seems reasonable, but I can't find many reviews.
I'm going straight to drops - the image of falling off I have is as I try to stop at lights and get my cleats unclipped, I know it's gonna happen.

vickster

Legendary Member
I am not sure I would start with cleats if you've not ridden on roads much...it's not obligatory and will add another layer of concern in traffic ;)

The Allez are very popular but a more aggressive ride than some bikes - loads of feedback and reviews, popular too so probably a few second hand ones around

e.g. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Specializ...0943828624?pt=UK_Bikes_GL&hash=item3371474690

I have to say you are very brave to be wanting to join a club straight off :becool:

OP
OP
M

Megan

Oh God, now my head is spinning even more! A Specialized Allez, no, a Giant Defy 4, no, the Airlite... :blink:

Yeah, I'm thinking cleats might be a bit of a push for the first few rides! I think maybe stupid rather than brave re club. I would just like it to be sociable, don't fancy floating about on my own. :sad:

Thanks for your replies. I think basically I need to get out and try some before I do anything, and be a bit more patient.

mike-L

Hi Megan,
Do get a test ride if you can, it will help a lot to understand size etc. Second hand, personally I'd say go for the smallest size you can within reason - you can always get a longer stem afterwards and / or set the seat back.
The Allez or Dolce is a very good first road bike if you can stretch to it, but the Carrera Virtuoso (Halfords) is pretty good too for its price. IMO better than the really cheap Raleighs. As you get more into cycling you can upgrade the wheels on either which can make a huge difference.

vickster

Legendary Member
Oh God, now my head is spinning even more! A Specialized Allez, no, a Giant Defy 4, no, the Airlite... :blink:

Yeah, I'm thinking cleats might be a bit of a push for the first few rides! I think maybe stupid rather than brave re club. I would just like it to be sociable, don't fancy floating about on my own. :sad:

Thanks for your replies. I think basically I need to get out and try some before I do anything, and be a bit more patient.

I am more than happy to meet up somewhere sensible once the weather gets a bit warmer and less snowy, and there are plenty of others, male and female, around here who would do likewise! Skyrides are great for getting some confidence and meeting some others. I was meant to do one across London today but brrrr + white stuff = no!

Given you are spending a fair amount of cash, best take your time. Do you have access to the cycle to work scheme? May be if use :smile:

Top Bottom