Advice on first road bike on a budget, please!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
M

Megan

Loafer - thanks for the link, if I stick to that as a shortlist, I might just not lose my mind

OP
OP
M

Megan

Thanks Vickster, that would be great. Will check out skyrides. Sadly no ride 2 work for me, 3 young kids, no other job at the moment.

Failing a proper bike measuring service, and I say this every time it comes up, get someone with a lot of experience to sit down with you, look at the options and go with you to look at any bikes. Vickster is correct though in saying much better to go slightly smaller than larger. My better half rides a road bike and a Time Trial bike and they are both 51cm c-c [top tube] this is the most important measurement, and she is 5' 6".
Oh and don't necessarily trust everything a bike shop tells you, a girl in my last club turned up on a large sized Giant and she is only 5ft!

lulubel

Über Member
Regarding sizing, you're the same height as me, but your inside leg measurement is 2in shorter. (Are you sure you're measuring correctly? You need to measure from the top of your leg to the floor, wearing shoes rather than barefoot - obviously not platforms, but whatever shoes you wear for cycling won't have a tiny, thin sole.)

I was lucky in that I had 2 independent bike shops reasonably close when I bought my road bike, and they both happened to stock one bike manufacturer in common. One shop recommended 47 or 50cm in the bike I looked at, but probably the 50. The other shop recommended 47, 50 or 52, most likely the 50, but possibly 52. Without a test ride, going by what I'd read online and my gut instinct, I ignored their advice and went for the 47cm, and it's perfect for me.

My partner has an inside leg measurement 1in (about 2.5cm) longer than mine, she insisted she wanted the same bike as me because she liked the colour (!) so we ordered her a 50. I can ride hers if I lower the saddle, although it's a bit stretched and I wouldn't want to be on it for long, but I have to be very careful stepping down from the saddle because I have absolutely no clearance over the top tube. Not as painful if I landed hard on it as it would be for a man, but still ....

So, from my experience, you may well be recommended a bigger frame size than you need.

(And, of course, the measurements I've used in my example won't be relevant to you at all because all manufacturers measure their frames differently, and bike sizes can come up different even between ranges from the same manufacturer. I was just using them as examples to illustrate my point.)

PpPete

Legendary Member
You are not a million miles from Epsom... I'd go along and talk to Paul & Guy at Corridori, perhaps better known for rather more £££ kit, but they are a Specialized outlet and from what I've see they just as happy to put you on their turbo to work out sizing for a low cost bike as a more expensive one. Obviously you won't get the full "3D" fitting session whithout paying for it, but certainly enough to pick the right size, and to choose between Allez, Secteur, Dolce....

Pedal pusher

Veteran
There's a Go Outdoors at Lakeside, thanks for the tip, I might try there. But then, where would I ride it around lakeside?! Would be terrifying. I went to Evans, but waited ages for someone to speak to me, and all the bikes were too big, and very £££££. They said I could order one in on deposit and try it out, but I felt a bit like a fish out of water in there.
While ur their have a look at the Claud Buttler Critirium. Just picked up one this week as a first bike:hyper:

HovR

Über Member
Decathalon is mentioned in the OP, and no one has mentioned the B'Twin Triban 3 yet? C'mon Cycle Chat! :laugh:

This is one of the better spec'd road bikes for a person on a budget if you are wanting to buy new - Carbon forks for £300 - Haven't seen that elsewhere!

Here's some more pics.

kishan

go outdoors do deliver some bieks to your home you just need to build it yourself or take it to a go outdoors store and they will build it for you. check out there airlite 100 and 200 range and also the raleigh racer and the claud butler road bike.

OP
OP
M

Megan

Update on bike buying...
Having got totally OBSESSED and chewed the ear off more than one bike shop sales guy I have decided to spend more of my (partner's) money and go for a Giant Avail 1. Having tried a few out I discovered I dont like thumb shifters, so have got Tiagra, and got properly measured for the compact frame (I'm 5'3", size small). My reasoning came down to thinking it's better to spend a bit more now than want to upgrade in three months, and I think I got a good deal. Plus he's paying ... ^_^

pnh

Regular
What a mine field! Your head must have been spinning......Well, now you have your bike, let me know if you want to take a rideout. Are you in Sevenoaks? I'm in Otford.

Top Bottom