Advice on getting quicker on the bike ....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Tiny01

Tiny01

Darren on Bkool
Bloody hell - I could manage that average on a very flat run, but I've been riding five years and I'm the same age. This is just depressing!

Didn't mean to depress anyone , so apoligises if I have , just seem to have taken to it quickly , before the road bike I just use my MTB that I'd fitted with slick tyres & was getting fairly good averages with that , but the road bike has certainly taken it to the next level , now I want to improve a little more whilst I'm still sort of young , fit & healthy ;)

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
You should copy and paste some of your Strava rides on here:okay:

OP
OP
Tiny01

Tiny01

Darren on Bkool
I know Mayland SE Essex, I used to sail from Steeple ( Marconi sailing club) Yes its a very flat area . As I remember there was a thriving TT scene around there though. ( usually started from the Star Pub) TT'ing is another thing you could try, that will help with power and speed. If the club your in is Maldon CC you should be able to get plenty of advice from within the club. When is used to race CX, Maldon CC was always well represented.
Are you thinking of trying Criterium/road racing with the LVRC? or do you just want to go faster.

Yes I'm a member of the Maldon club only joined as it was the closest to me & to date I've not rode with them yet , yes the TT scene is very active & right on my doorstep & the Maldon 10/25 TT course makes up my training rides most nights , may well try a TT but know that I'll be well of the pace by my Strava segment tines best over the 10 so far is 29:04 & that was me rolling through the start , trying to avoid getting into it to much otherwise it's going to be another bike just for the TT .

I spoke to a member of another club who races on set courses on disused airfields think North Weald was one , Dunton ( ford proving ground another ) & think he said one @ RAF Woodbridge as well , this kind of event appeals more to me than a TT , can I ask what LVRC means please ?

OP
OP
Tiny01

Tiny01

Darren on Bkool
Could not get the link to work, but I stripped out the ></iframe at the end and I found it.

https://www.strava.com/activities/r..._share&utm_content=14000818&utm_medium=widget

I have to say, you are doing hills and climbs, and you are quick - good job.

Thanks I do try to ride the few that we have in our area , last week I rode the London to Brighton & tackled the Ditchling Beacon that was tough but did cycle the whole way I'd like another go at it without so many other people around

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
can I ask what LVRC means please ?
The mighty power of Google reveals all - The League of Veteran Racing Cyclists! :okay:

Yes I'm a member of the Maldon club only joined as it was the closest to me & to date I've not rode with them yet , yes the TT scene is very active & right on my doorstep & the Maldon 10/25 TT course makes up my training rides most nights , may well try a TT but know that I'll be well of the pace by my Strava segment tines best over the 10 so far is 29:04 & that was me rolling through the start , trying to avoid getting into it to much otherwise it's going to be another bike just for the TT .

I spoke to a member of another club who races on set courses on disused airfields think North Weald was one , Dunton ( ford proving ground another ) & think he said one @ RAF Woodbridge as well , this kind of event appeals more to me than a TT , can I ask what LVRC means please ?

From that Strava segment that was posted, I know someone else on that ride and you did it faster than him, me and him are very much on a par with each other, and I can post well under 28 for a 10 mile TT on a normal road bike, so stick a number on your back and I would not be surprised if you did a 26-27 minute on a normal bike.
North Weald racing is TLI racing, http://www.tlicycling.org.uk ( Not BC or LVRC) you have to join but ts fairly cheap. I used to to do them, very good intro into racing, generally no one gives a monkey's about the result and I found it fairly safe and you get to race against all sorts,pro cyclists, racing snakes, young,old,female etc. Usually split into 2 groups, fast boys and then the odds and sods. I used to race in the odds and sods.
Dunton is BC go-race usually though the LVRC do race there as well. The Go-Races can be really fast as well but in a lot of peoples opinion not as safe as the LVRC.

LVRC http://www.lvrc.org.uk is the League of Veteran Racing Cyclists, its who you race when you want the poop kicked out of you. You have to be over 40 to join. Then its broken down into 5 year age groups. So I'm a C ( 50-55) , you would be a B ( 45-50) . The races may well put A+B together then B+C all the way up to over 80's or sometimes they put ABCD in one race the rest in the other.However your result is only against your age group, so you can come 10th in the actual race but 1st in your age category. They are serious, I have raced with them in the past and always got a good pummeling. You will find ex pro's, people who have been racing all their lives then the likes of me who are late starters and fancy themselves. Its very safe I found, just very fast. Its cheaper than BC ( britich cycling) . They do road races( the road races sometimes get critisised for the lack of safety vehicles usually just one from what I have seen but the experience of the riders usually negates that fact IMO) and also criterium races mainly at Hog Hill ( redbridge cycle centre) , Dunton and the cyclepark in Kent. Its worth just turning up for one race so you know how much of a mountain, performance wise you may or may not need to climb. I used to think I was quick overtaking most people on my commute, I then raced with the LVRC and realised my true place in the league of fast old boys.
Sorry for the long post, get more involved with the club and I think you will have a good racing form ahead of you.

Karlt

That trace shows you going up a 12% ramp at around 10mph. I do not know how you do that. It's as much as I can do to keep moving at that gradient.

wajc

Veteran
Just checked out some of your rides on Strava, what struck me was how low your average and peak HR were. I know we are all different but when I'm pushing it to record a fast time, my HR on one ride was 160 average and max 171. It's often in the mid to late 150s. average. I'll be 47 in a few months so not miles away age wise to you.

This shows as a solo ride on Strava. Your HR 131 average and 150 max.

https://www.strava.com/activities/611161198

That would be quite a steady ride HR wise for me.

I'm no expert on these matters but out of curiosity how hard do you think you felt you were trying as it would seem that HR wise you've got quite a bit of headroom yet?

. A lot of people on this forum slag off Strava but going for Strava sections has increased my speed.

I've found the same - rather than long steady distance rides that wouldn't push my HR very high, going for segments is like a crude form of interval training. I've seen 186 bpm on a couple of occasions this year.

I'm sure a proper training plan would be more effective but not necessarily quite as much fun.

fimm

Veteran
Some people do just have naturally low HRs though - my O/H is like that.
@Tiny01 , I have a notion that you're actually quite tall? That's a good body shape for Time Trialling - long levers apparently.
If you want to get faster, then hill reps and intervals are the things to do.

Top Bottom