Advice on night cycling please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
In July I'll be doing the London to Brighton Night Ride. Apart from a few occasions when I have left it late to get home, I have never really ridden at night before. I have been thinking about safety measures I can take.
There are two areas that concern me.
(1) Lights: I have got myself a really good quality re-chargeable front light (that really lights up the road) in addition to my existing basic battery light (which I regard more as being something to get myself seen). I also have two battery powered rear lights, which I will ensure have new batteries in them, plus spares. Whilst my good front light might not last the full 6 hours or so, I am guessing that the conventional one will do for the first couple of hours in London, due to street lighting, and I can switch to the better light when we head out into the countryside. Any thoughts?
(2) High viz clothing/accessories: I already have reflective spokes on my front wheel and will be using one rear pannier with reflective detailing and wearing Altura Night Vision tights, so I am on my way towards making myself visible. Whilst I could wear the high viz jacket from my car boot and be really visible, that would probably be inappropriate for carrying out strenuous exercise. I was thinking of folding it up and sticking it on my rear rack anyway for extra reflectivity. I was hoping to be able to do the ride in a cycle jersey. I might just hang all of mine on the line overnight and shine a torch at them to see which is most visible! I'm planning on getting a reflective helmet band, and a couple of arm bands to supplement this.
If it is raining, I might be scuppered. I know there's a big difference between being brightly coloured and being reflective, and my rain top is not reflective.
Any thoughts? Am I missing anything obvious? Is there anything else about riding at night that I should know? It's starting to play on my mind now, and I am going to have to go out late one night in the next few weeks for a trial run. Time's running out.
Any helpful suggestions gratefully received.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Stop worrying, that's my advice. You'll love it.

vickster

Legendary Member
Keep your eyes closely on the road...IME potholes are a nightmare at night, much harder to avoid with cars around

Presumably there will be thousands doing this so I would think that there'll be a reasonable amount of light around?

Yellow high viz doesn't show up well at night, reflectives better - you can get stickers for the purpose and even a spray for the bike!

In July, it won't be properly dark for very long, not like winter

Good luck :smile:

I did this last year and doing it again this year. No need to worry about a to see by light (except for one downhill) until Caterham at least. After that it's about a 4-5 hour ride, with a couple of stops, and before you get to the bottom of devils dyke it'll be getting light anyway. It's a great ride and full leg warmers might be too much, i did it last year in bib shorts, base layer, jersey, arm warmers and knee warmers with a back up jumper which i had on for about an hour.

Wobblers

Euthermic
You'll be fine. I'm just back from a ride in the dusk/night: it's actually a really pleasant time to ride - fewer cars, more wildlife. As vickster says, hi-vis doesn't really show up at night, but reflectives are good. Lights, however, are essential. The sun will come up around 5, and IIRC the route is similar to the FNRttC Brighton ride, so you'll only really be out of the street lights for 3-4 hours tops. Save your rechargeable light for the dark bits, and I bet it'll still be over half charged in the morning.

One thing to watch out for is that it can get surprisingly cool when you get out of the built up areas, so it's a very good idea to bring a couple of spare layers. I'd recommend a long sleeved jersey or arm warmers and bring a pair of full length gloves just in case your hands get cold. You'll probably be fine in your Night Vision tights, as long as you take it fairly gently.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I think those reflective slap bands show up well around your ankles, I think it is the pedalling motion which helps to catch your eye.

Don't have too powerful a rear light if you are riding with lots of others or make sure it is pointing slightly down rather than into the following cyclist's eyes.

Having a front light that you can vary the intensity of the light would be good or two lights.

You are over thinking it a bit. The darker your surroundings, [and by this I mean a quiet country lane out in the sticks, which is pretty much where we do 99% of our riding] the less you need to be lit up and a single good flashing rear light is perfectly adequate, on the front you need a good powerful light that does not blind oncoming traffic. Conversely, in the smoke you need as much reflective stuff on you and your bike that you can get.
I have never felt threatened by a vehicle at night out in the countryside, they tend to give you much more consideration and by extension, room. Seems the opposite is true in the city.
I agree with others in not having a flashing rear light when in company, unless there is no one else behind you.
Night riding is fantastic, highly recommended.

snorri

Legendary Member
Don't allow your eyes to be drawn to the lights of oncoming vehicles as this will ruin your night vision, instead concentrate on the road fairly close in front of you looking for potholes/debris on the road, also keep the verge on your left in sight to help you maintain your position on the road:smile:.
Night cycling is fun on quieter roads, enjoy^_^.

Pikey

Waiting for the turbo to kick in...
I'll be at that one too @Donger , me and a mate are doing it, I've gone for two cree t6 lights up front, a little head torch and my usual rear light. Think my mate is just using his normal usb charge commuting lights. Should all be fine as there will be loads there.
Think the only other thing I was gonna take were a pair of pmr radios in case we get separated as he isn't that experienced on long ish rides, and mobile phones are a fecking pain in the ass in comparison.

OP
OP
Donger

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
I'll be at that one too @Donger , me and a mate are doing it, I've gone for two cree t6 lights up front, a little head torch and my usual rear light. Think my mate is just using his normal usb charge commuting lights. Should all be fine as there will be loads there.
Think the only other thing I was gonna take were a pair of pmr radios in case we get separated as he isn't that experienced on long ish rides, and mobile phones are a fecking pain in the ass in comparison.
Thanks @Pikey (and everyone else). Considering I only posted last night, I've been given a fair number of good replies already. Looks like my "Fat Lad at the Back" shirt might be my most reflective, so you'll probably recognise me if you pass me. I've put in for an early (11:00pm) start and Mrs Donger & I have booked into a hotel that doesn't kick you out until midday so I have a chance of getting some kip afterwards. Haven't heard back about my exact start time yet. What start time have you applied for?

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
If you're riding with a friend on a group ride, may be worth spending a few seconds to make sure you can recognise each other in the dark. Your friend's striking mauve jacket may not be so striking at night, but it may have some retro reflective squiggles on it that you never noticed before, so worth checking that out.

Have fun, and as noted above, watch out for the bogey man.

Top Bottom