Advice on puncture prevention.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
BrumJim said:
Woah.... Tyre bulging and coming away from the rim whilst trying to pump up the tube fully? Sounds like a major problem there. Defective tyre needs to be replaced FOC - not fit for purpose. And that will almost certainly be the cause of the punctures.

I've seen it happen with old, non-hook-beaded rims and cheap steel ones. Otherwise it might be that the tyre isn't seated properly - perhaps the valve hasn't been pushed up inside the tyre after fitting. Undo the the valve ring and push the valve in. Retighten the ring only after the tyre's inflated.

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
My wife's bike got a puncture last week which I fixed, and then within half a mile it got another puncture in the same wheel.

When I repaired the first puncture I did check the inside of the tyre for sharp objects and found nothing.

When I repaired the second puncture I also found no sharp objects protruding through to the inside of the tyre, however I did spot a small piece of glass stuck in the outside of the tyre. Maybe the glass only penetrated the tyre when it was under pressure, so I removed the glass and no punctures since. So the lesson for me was to check the tyre (both inside and out) for sharp objects.

Also, I would not ride a bike where the tyre bulges under pressure - one way or another that's going to end in tears!

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Shaun said:
My wife's bike got a puncture last week which I fixed, and then within half a mile it got another puncture in the same wheel.

When I repaired the first puncture I did check the inside of the tyre for sharp objects and found nothing.

When I repaired the second puncture I also found no sharp objects protruding through to the inside of the tyre, however I did spot a small piece of glass stuck in the outside of the tyre. Maybe the glass only penetrated the tyre when it was under pressure, so I removed the glass and no punctures since. So the lesson for me was to check the tyre (both inside and out) for sharp objects.

Also, I would not ride a bike where the tyre bulges under pressure - one way or another that's going to end in tears!

True, and sometimes it can only be found by flexing the tyre almost inside out. As I discovered last week on one of the kids bikes, tiniest thron I've come acroos. Was all but invisible from the outside and could only be felt inside when tyre was stressed.

I always attempt to find the cause of the puncture, even if it takes a while. The last one needed me to walk back to my office with tyre and shine my desk lamp on the inside. A small piece of glass shone, but I couldn't feel it on the inside with my fingers and there was no sign of it from the outside.

Got some Mr Tuffy's since and so far so good.

Willo said:
michael, have been flirting with the armodillos myself. I'm not exactly racing material so probably not a material difference relative to the basic but slick tyres currently on my bike, but how are they in terms of weight etc. and how easy to get on and off (even if they are virtually puncture proof, don't want to be wrestling with one in the middle of nowhere at 6.30 in the morning when the inevitable eventually happens)

I've not normally had a problem with Specialized All Conditions, but it can vary depending upon the type of wheel. They are a fairly light but good puncture resistant (for a road bike) tyre.

The best tip for avoiding punctures (apart from not cycling through glass :biggrin:) is to deflate your tyres once a week, and then carefully look them over and with a pair of tweezers or a sharp point, carefully prise out any bits of glass or grit embedded in the tyre. If left in, those bits can easily work their way through to the inner tube.

just4fun

Two of my bikes came supplied with Kenda tyres. They are rubbish and need replacing. My road bike would puncture every decent length ride. This was very frustrating. I invested in the expensive continental GP4 tyres. When i saw the diference between the these and my kendas, i immeadiately understood a) why i was getting so many punctures and :smile: why the GP4's were so expensive!

HI folks i have noticed quite a few postings with regards preventing punctures

i would like to let you know about the use of Puncturesafe which can be used in any type of inflatable tyre which stops punctures and extends tyre life etc. it seals a puncture upto 6mm on bicycles, high speed tyres eg. motorcycles, cars, vans, hgv etc and upto 9mm on off road vehicles.

its not a 1 hit wonder like certain foams out there and is guaranteed to seal the puncture for the life of a tyre. and in the event of a blowout it reduces the explosive nature which slows u down and saves lives etc. please feel free to read more on my website questions and answers page on www.puncturesafeglasgow.co.uk any enquiries on the product or for further advice feel free to email me direct from the website

ride safe

the snail

Guru
True, and sometimes it can only be found by flexing the tyre almost inside out. As I discovered last week on one of the kids bikes, tiniest thron I've come acroos. Was all but invisible from the outside and could only be felt inside when tyre was stressed.

+1 I had a tiny shard of glass like that. If the tyre is correct fit and pressure, something must have caused it. It sounds like maybe there is a mis-match between tyre/tube/rim (or damaged rim?) if it wont inflate without bulging, and punctures are inevitable if the tyre is soft? I think I would go to a LBS and seek advice.

jimboalee

The glass pushed through the tyre and into the tube when the tyre compressed against the road surface.

I have found that using tyres with no tread ( slicks ) makes finding the nasty sharp objects much easier.

I just had a similar problem with a flint embedded in the tyre on my commuting. Blasted thing was dug in deep but barely visible on the surface.

This was followed by the discovery that the rims on that bike are slightly deeper than my other bike and I had no tubes with valves long enough to fit.

A very frustrating evening all in all.

Top Bottom