Advice on Rear Reflector Woes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alembicbassman

Confused.com
I thought the Shimano reflectors were pedal platforms rather than just reflectors? I wouldn't mind a couple of reflectors on the back of my SPD pedals for commuting in the dark, as movement tends to catch the eye.

The SPD reflectors are platforms, but you still have one side free for the cleats.

The SPD-SL reflectors attach via a bracket through the gap in the pedal platform. I had mine come with a pair of R540 road pedals. You can still use the pedal as normal.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
I know lights are far better then reflectors, but if I have an incident I dont want the lack of a rear reflector to count against me.

A lawyer will no doubt toddle along to correct me, but I understand that contributory negligence can only hurt you if your negligence in not complying with the letter of the law materially contributed to the severity of your incident. So if you can show that the driver should have been able to see your retina-impairing flashing rear light the lack of a tiny rear reflector shouldn't hurt you.

For the same reason, reflective ankle bands could be a very effective (if illegal) alternative to pedal reflectors - you lay yourself open to the theoretical possibility of criminal sanction, but have a good response to contributory negligence in any civil suit you bring.

Alembicbassman

Confused.com
Got these brake mounted ones if any good to you

Attachments

• reflect.jpg
    reflect.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 99

sabian92

Über Member
The first thing I did with my reflectors is bin them. If a driver who hits you doesn't see a flashing red light, they're sure as buggery not going to see a crap reflector that's covered in shoot from the road.

winjim

Smash the cistern
And when that rear light fails without you noticing the
reflector might be all you've got. On the subject of pedals, my spd shoes have (admittedly tiny and not orange) reflectors in the heels.

Edit: Sorry, just realised I've accidentally revived a very old thread. That'll teach me to come in through the back door.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
And when that rear light fails without you noticing the
reflector might be all you've got. On the subject of pedals, my spd shoes have (admittedly tiny and not orange) reflectors in the heels.

Edit: Sorry, just realised I've accidentally revived a very old thread. That'll teach me to come in through the back door.

Dont worry about zombie threads ;)
They can sometimes help others anyway.

Sara_H

Guru
Have you got a spare bracket from a light so you can mount it on your chainstay?

25 cm -90 in height according to CTC guidlines so you could get away with it legally.

I personally have my rack plastered with reflective stickers and i have found that the 3M spoke refelctors can be cut and superglued onto the rack to add even more "bling " :smile:

I've got red and white reflective tape covering my rack at the rear, and white reflective in rings around the frame all over the place!I've got reflective tyres and black reflective chevrons on my mudgards. My pannier bags have fot relective bits on too.

I am very naughty though, and haven't got a BS relector at the back.

PK99

Legendary Member
The first thing I did with my reflectors is bin them. If a driver who hits you doesn't see a flashing red light, they're sure as buggery not going to see a crap reflector that's covered in s*** from the road.

... apart from when the battery runs out mid ride? Reflector = belt & braces

uclown2002

Guru
... apart from when the battery runs out mid ride? Reflector = belt & braces
Spare batteries = belt and braces :laugh:

Top Bottom