Advice on Rear Reflector Woes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

re84uk

Hi Everyone

I have recently purchased and installed a saddle bag for my bike, however this has caused a problem. I had to remove the rear reflector to make room for the bag and now there is not enough room to mount the rear reflector and I understand that I need this to stay legal on the road at night. If I were to fita rear light to the back of my saddle bag which also acts as a reflector, is this good enough for the purposes of satisfying the law? If not, does anyone know of any other solution?

Thanks

tyred

Legendary Member
The reflector is a legal requirement to the best of my knowledge. My Carradice saddle bag has a red reflective triangle sewed on it. I don't know if that is considered legal or not.

If you have mudguards, get a mudguard mounted reflector. Should only cost a few quid.

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
Hi Everyone

I have recently purchased and installed a saddle bag for my bike, however this has caused a problem. I had to remove the rear reflector to make room for the bag and now there is not enough room to mount the rear reflector and I understand that I need this to stay legal on the road at night. If I were to fita rear light to the back of my saddle bag which also acts as a reflector, is this good enough for the purposes of satisfying the law? If not, does anyone know of any other solution?

Thanks

You've answered your own question! Seriously though, most some modern rear lights also act as reflectors, but if you are unhappy about that, try mounting the reflector on your r/hand seat stay.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Pfft reflectors! Just put some good lights on.

+1.

First thing I do is bin the reflectors. On my commuter I do have reflective tape at strategic points, and it does happen to have a reflector on the guards. My other 3 bikes have nothing on them !

Alembicbassman

Confused.com
http://www.ctc.org.u...aspx?TabID=4071

Here's the CTC's helpful guide to the law.

*watches as everyone wonders how to fit orange reflectors to clipless pedals*

Shimano manufacture reflectors for both SPD mountain bike cleat and SPD-SL road cleat pedals.

Reflectors should be British Standard BS6102/2

I doubt you'll ever get pulled up if you have good lights fitted.

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
but if you're ever in an accident between sunset and sunrise without them on your bike, and it goes to court you may find that you end up with less than satisfactory results - contributary negligence i think it's called.

Alembicbassman

Confused.com
Mount it inverted on the seatpost like this pic

Attachments

• reflect.jpg
    reflect.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 497

barongreenback

Über Member
Shimano manufacture reflectors for both SPD mountain bike cleat and SPD-SL road cleat pedals.

Reflectors should be British Standard BS6102/2

I doubt you'll ever get pulled up if you have good lights fitted.

I thought the Shimano reflectors were pedal platforms rather than just reflectors? I wouldn't mind a couple of reflectors on the back of my SPD pedals for commuting in the dark, as movement tends to catch the eye.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Have you got a spare bracket from a light so you can mount it on your chainstay?

25 cm -90 in height according to CTC guidlines so you could get away with it legally.

I personally have my rack plastered with reflective stickers and i have found that the 3M spoke refelctors can be cut and superglued onto the rack to add even more "bling " :smile:

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
something like this....linky

Those lights dont have great burn time or brightness. The new reflector light is slightly better:
http://www.cateye.com/en/products/detail/TL-LD560-R/

+1.

First thing I do is bin the reflectors. On my commuter I do have reflective tape at strategic points, and it does happen to have a reflector on the guards. My other 3 bikes have nothing on them !

Yellow and red 3M scotchlite is available now. If you want to protect the frame then wash some old innertube and stick it over that.

Top Bottom