Advice on replacing chain set

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cp40Carl

Über Member
I have a Felt QX60 Hybrid (2012) and want to replace or upgrade the cassette (Shimano HG30 7 Speed cassette 11-28T) and chain set. The chain set is a SR-Suntour XCT-T208 (48X38X28T) and I cannot seem to find a like for like replacement anywhere.

However, I am happy to replace it with an alternative chain set, perhaps a Shimano or similar but am not sure what type of bottom bracket I have and understand that this may affect or limit my choices. Is there any way I can find out what type of chainset might fit?

Apologies for the amateur knowledge level but this bike is a bit of a learning project for me. Any advice gratefully received....

adamhearn

Veteran
Suntour's site doesn't list the chainset but its probably just because it's an older model. I would imagine it's a standard Shimano BB fitting (square taper). You're going to need a crank puller (£15) and a BB tool (£5) to do the job yourself in about 20 minutes (+ any extra time wasted by attempting to undo the left handed thread the wrong way). You can pick up a cheap chainset with the same chainrings (normal size for a hybrid) for approx £40 (Shimano Acera on ebay).

The [exact same] cassette is readily available [Amazon £15] and you'll need a cassette tool £5 and a chain whip £10 to fit in about 10 mins.

if you're replacing those items then you'll need a new chain £10 and, to remove the existing chain, a chain tool £10.

Upgrading a chainset isn't something I'd consider unless there was a problem with the existing one. Chain rings last ages and cranks don't wear out unless you've left the crank bolts loose and elongated the square taper. I stripped the threads on my drive side crank a year back so had to replace. My hybrid came with a cheapy Suntour with fixed/welded rings and replaced it with a Shimano Acera as still available on ebay. It's less flexy than what was on there before and looks better too.

Prices and times are approximate :smile: Good luck!

OP
OP
Cp40Carl

Cp40Carl

Über Member
Thanks for the advice, really appreciated. Maybe I'll just throw a new chain on it and give it a clean then!

More money for the beer / coffee fund.

Thanks again.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Thanks for the advice, really appreciated. Maybe I'll just throw a new chain on it and give it a clean then!

More money for the beer / coffee fund.

Thanks again.

Unless the gears are slipping, the only good reason for changing the cogs would be to alter the gear ratios of the bike.

A clean and a new chain is a reasonable course of action, although it sounds like you could get more life from the existing chain if you want to.

OP
OP
Cp40Carl

Cp40Carl

Über Member
Unless the gears are slipping, the only good reason for changing the cogs would be to alter the gear ratios of the bike.

A clean and a new chain is a reasonable course of action, although it sounds like you could get more life from the existing chain if you want to.

Yes, you're right. I think I'm just in fettling overdrive after replacing my brake pads and cables! Thanks. I think I'll just spend my time riding the damn thing. :bicycle:

Top Bottom