Advice on this forum

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simoncc

Whenever anyone asks for equipment advice on this forum the usual suspects parade their answers. A custom built tourer from a respected frame builder and equipped with the best wheels, racks , panniers and other equipment is suggested by many posters. A made to measure frame and bike, XT/105 all round, wheels spoked in various exotic ways etc are the norm in replies.

I can't think of a better way of discouraging cyclists to take up touring. The most expensive equpment is not required to have an enjoyable cycling tour. Predictably recommending top of the range equipment is likely to lead many novices that cycle touring is an expensive hobby. It isn't.

Abitrary

Only having done the odd short tour in europe on a cheap alu road bike, I can only agree.

Anyone touring in a proper cycling country like france, belgium or holland, should take heed of what the locals tour with. Grumpy looking alu hybrids, but with 5 kids stuck in the rack and a huge tent wedged in the handlebars.

You can tell they set off with whatever they find, and just do it, so to say.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
simoncc said:
Whenever anyone asks for equipment advice on this forum the usual suspects parade their answers. A custom built tourer from a respected frame builder and equipped with the best wheels, racks , panniers and other equipment is suggested by many posters. A made to measure frame and bike, XT/105 all round, wheels spoked in various exotic ways etc are the norm in replies.

I can't think of a better way of discouraging cyclists to take up touring. The most expensive equpment is not required to have an enjoyable cycling tour. Predictably recommending top of the range equipment is likely to lead many novices that cycle touring is an expensive hobby. It isn't.

It's a shame that your attempt at starting an argument uses a string of incorrect assertions. Dig up the evidence and quote it then I might believe you that fellow tourers insist on high spec equipment. Full messages please and no out of context snippets.

Meanwhile I'll stick with my £200 s/h Galaxy, Halfords panniers, £70 per pair wheels in standard spoke configuration, Acera mech, seven speed cassette and continued advice that a s/h touring specific bike is preferable to a new but inferior alternative.

All bikes are equal but some are more equal than others :laugh:

Magna

My my you touring cyclist love an argument it seems. New to the site it appears that Simon has a point- the top gear is always 'suggested'. It does not appear to me that he was trying to cause an argument rather just highlight a potential area that forum could be neglecting.

xilios

Veteran
I agree with Vernon, my bike is a Gazelle Playa, bought used for 300 euros with Acera parts, my first panniers were the cheapest AGU makes, cycling shorts, helmets, rain jacket are from Lidl.
But after several tours some items need replacing and now that were totaly hooked to touring (and had time to save some money) were investing in quality items like Ortlieb panniers.
Check out Touring Tips on our site.

Danny

Legendary Member
I'm not sure that I have ever read a post which says you need a top of the range cycle to tour on. I have happily used a mid range cycle for years.

More often the debates begin because the OOP is along the lines of "should I get a Dawes Super Galaxy or a Thorn", and usually people making these kind of posts don't want to be told that they could get something that is nearly functionally as good for several hundred pounds less.

One of the largest recent debates was about a £90 mixte frame tourer on e-bay. I thought it was a bargain and was duly bought by the OP. Sound advice all around was given and even Bonj added to the mix :laugh:

U

User482

My advice on this forum is usually to buy a decent second hand tourer. I got a used Thorn frame & fork in mint condition for £75. I fail to see how this advice would put off the novice.

yenrod

Simon: to me, a bike is a bike so I can race on it, go for a relaxed ride, shoot round the shops on it..loan it to mate...and if I put a rack on it maybe get quite far on it ???? lol....

simoncc said:

Danny

Legendary Member
User482 said:
My advice on this forum is usually to buy a decent second hand tourer. I got a used Thorn frame & fork in mint condition for £75. I fail to see how this advice would put off the novice.

As a matter of interest, how did you get Thorn frame and fork for £75?

U

User482

Dannyg said:
As a matter of interest, how did you get Thorn frame and fork for £75?

Got lucky on ebay - nobody else bid. A mint condition Audax Classic, not one of their far eastern jobs too.

An extreme example for sure, but there are plenty of bargains out there, especially as tourers aren't fashinable.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
As very inexperienced tourer I've always found the advice on this site, and previously the C+ site, to be excellent in all areas. Anyone taking the time to read carefully and think about the suggestions will usually find a solution, some cheap, some very expensive.

For instance without the advice given repeatedly about cycle shorts quality I would never have invested in a pair of Assos, which I now rate as my best ever cycling investment - except for my bike!!! Generally one does have to pay for quality and while some advice is for expensive items if it is oft repeated there is usually a very good reason for this.

Danny

Legendary Member
User482 said:
Got lucky on ebay - nobody else bid. A mint condition Audax Classic, not one of their far eastern jobs too.

An extreme example for sure, but there are plenty of bargains out there, especially as tourers aren't fashinable.

Humph. Everytime I see something that looks like it is going to be a bargain, it ends up going at what I consider to be an inflated price!

Not that I am jealous of your good fortune :wacko::angry::biggrin:

Tony

Simon, what a poor trolling attempt. I'll stick with my antique Galaxy, wheels replaced by the LBS after they wore out, transmission bought cheap at York Rally, Altura cheap panniers, nearly 20-yr-old front bags, and so on, other gear accumulated over nearly forty years of pedalling a full-sized bike.
I await a reference to one of these "millionaire" posts...

Top Bottom