advice on which mtb please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alci4

hi folks i am looking at getting a new bike but was wondering which is the better spec from the 2 bikes below

will be using for on roads, canal towpaths and light trails but would like to move in to more rugged as i get more xp.

thanks for any advice you can offer

they are both £399.99

the first is

GT Aggressor XC 2 Mountain Bike 09 20"

• Frame Material: Aluminium
  • Frame Size: 19-20
  • Suspension: Front
  • Alloy Rims: Yes
  • Brake Type: Hydraulic Disc
  • Chainset: Truvativ Isoflow chainset with sealed Bearing BB
  • Exact Frame Size: 20"
  • Forks: Suntour XCR fork, 120mm travel, rebound damping & lock-out
  • Frame Colour: Black and White
  • Frame-: Lightweight hydro-formed aluminium Triple Triangle frame
  • Front Brake: Tektro Auriga Comp hydraulic disc brakes, 180rotors
  • Front Mech: Shimano Deore
  • Gear Shifters: Shimano Deore Rapid Fire
  • Handle Bars: GT oversize
  • Headset: GT Alloy
  • Hubs: Formula DC 20
  • Number of Gears: 27
  • Pedals: Classic Cage with Toe Clips
  • Quick Release Wheels: Yes
  • Rear Brake: Tektro Auriga Comp hydraulic disc brakes, 160rotors
  • Rear Mech: Shimano Deore
  • Rear Shock: NA
  • Rims: Alex ASD-1 disc rims
  • Saddle: SDG Bel Air saddle
  • Seatpost: Alloy Black
  • Stem: GT Oversized
  • Tyre size: 2.3"
  • Tyres: Maxxis Ignitor
  • Wheel size: 26"
  • Approximate Weight (KG): 12.7
and the second is

Carrera Kraken 20" Mountain Bike 09

• Alloy Rims: Yes
  • Approximate Weight (KG): 13.64
  • Brake Type: Hydraulic Disc
  • Chainset: Truvativ Isoflow with Power Spline BB
  • Exact Frame Size: 20"
  • Fork Lock-out : Yes
  • Fork travel: 120mm
  • Forks: Suntour XCR 120mm Travel
  • Forks - Adjustable damping : Yes
  • Frame Colour: Grey
  • Frame Material: Aluminium
  • Frame Size: 20+
  • Frame-: 7005 Aluminium
  • Front Brake: Tektro Auriga Comp hydraulic disc brakes
  • Front Mech: SRAM X5
  • Gear Shifters: SRAM X5 27 Speed Trigger
  • Handle Bars: Kalloy Alloy 31.8MM
  • Headset: Semi Integrated
  • Hubs: Fomula Alloy Black
  • Number of Gears: 27
  • Pedals: Wellgo Alloy Black
  • Quick Release Wheels: Yes
  • Rear Brake: Tektro Auriga Comp hydraulic disc
  • Rear Mech: SRAM X5
  • Rims: Double Wall Alloy
  • Saddle: Carrera
  • Seatpost: Kalloy Alloy 31.6MM
  • Stem: Kalloy Alloy 31.8MM
  • Suspension: Front
  • Tyre size: 26 x 2.3
  • Tyres: Continental Speed King
  • Wheel size: 26

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
Lots of bike available at that price and all will be fine for what you want, as long as you steer clear of Full Suspension.

Its worth looking at discounted stock from last years range, as you could be missing a trick and not making the most of your money.
ie The bike below is the model above the aggressor with the same, if not better kit, and its the same price.
http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m1b0s2p2234

OP
OP
alci4

alci4

Steve Austin said:
Lots of bike available at that price and all will be fine for what you want, as long as you steer clear of Full Suspension.

Its worth looking at discounted stock from last years range, as you could be missing a trick and not making the most of your money.
ie The bike below is the model above the aggressor with the same, if not better kit, and its the same price.
http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m1b0s2p2234

thanks but i am looking at funding it through my works cycle2work scheme which i think unfortunatly ties me down to halfwitfords

Cubist

Still wavin'
Both fine for the money. The choice will be down to you in the shop. Which feels better, lighter etc. Which colour do you prefer? If you are beset by bike snobs, then GT doesn't say "Halfords" to the "cognoscenti" . There is, however, nothing wrong with either bike.

GT is 12.7 kg. I suspect he Carrera will be heavier.

By the way, both bikes you describe are 20 inch frames. Unless you're over 6 foot tall they'll be a bit big. Try the 18 inch, and for MTB buying ignore Halfords sizing charts.

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
Paul is right! They should be able to get you any bike, but i don't think they can get Specialized.

So if you want to pick between them two, its the GT.

If you can stretch to £579 then its worth looking at the Voodoo Bantu which is a cracking good bike. The boardman at £579 is worth considering too, gets some good reviews in the MTB press* and generally gets considered to be the best in test at that price

*but then again i've never seen a bad review in a magazine!!

OP
OP
alci4

alci4

Cubist said:
By the way, both bikes you describe are 20 inch frames. Unless you're over 6 foot tall they'll be a bit big. Try the 18 inch, and for MTB buying ignore Halfords sizing charts.

i am 5'11 so just under 6 foot my mogul is 20" and nice size

Steve Austin said:
Paul is right! They should be able to get you any bike, but i don't think they can get Specialized.

So if you want to pick between them two, its the GT.

If you can stretch to £579 then its worth looking at the Voodoo Bantu which is a cracking good bike. The boardman at £579 is worth considering too, gets some good reviews in the MTB press* and generally gets considered to be the best in test at that price

*but then again i've never seen a bad review in a magazine!!
looks like a nice bike but i have read that you cant add to the cycle2work total to purcase a more expensive bike and the total allowed is £500 under the scheme :biggrin: , which is a pity because the voodoo looks sweet

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
you work for RM per chance, I`m in same boat as you and looking at those two bikes as well as the Carrera Fury in the vain hope that they have an offer on it which would bring it under the £500 mark!! TBH out of those two you mention the GT with Deore gears seems better value but hey I`m not upto scratch on MTB stuff. Oh and btw was told you can reserve any bike for a tenner and pay when you get your voucher. So if you see something and dont have the voucher yet then dont sweat.

Cubist

Still wavin'
alci4 said:
i am 5'11 so just under 6 foot my mogul is 20" and nice size
Rethink your idea of " a nice size".

It's your choice and your money, and if you are used to a rigid or a road bike in that sort of size then fine. I am the same height as you with a 33 inch inside leg. I was very fortunate to have the choice of 18 and 20 inch bikes to ride from a fleet of MTBs. I found the 20 inch great on road, but off-road the 18 was far easier to handle, and I didn't feel like I was pitching off on the rough stuff.

As I said, you may need to revise your fitting thoughts if you intend to do any technical off road stuff.

This is, however, only advice. You do with it as you please.

stewlewis

My MTB is 19", 6ft 34" trouser leg. Smaller frames and more seatpost. extra plum clearance when it gets bumpy and easier to throw the bike side to side when off the saddle.

Both those bikes look sound, GT has more 'cred' points than the Carrera but it's pretty much down to fit, which takes your fancy and Shimano vs Sram gear.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
well when I was into MTBs back in the old days before sloping top tubes etc Deore was the mutz then it was XT and XTR top of range. GT is taking my fancy, however trying to hang on to see if the Fury model goes on offer. I`m 6ft and reckon 18" is more suitable.

apologies for butting in on this thread :welcome:

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
I've got the GT. It's a cracking good bike - except for "maybe" the brakes.

I'm 6'1 and have the 20" frame. As I have a long body and short legs its a little-bit on the large size (not quite enough plum clearance for total confidence), but the next size down was too cramped in the top tube length.

OP
OP
alci4

alci4

MrGrumpy said:
you work for RM per chance, I`m in same boat as you and looking at those two bikes as well as the Carrera Fury in the vain hope that they have an offer on it which would bring it under the £500 mark!! TBH out of those two you mention the GT with Deore gears seems better value but hey I`m not upto scratch on MTB stuff. Oh and btw was told you can reserve any bike for a tenner and pay when you get your voucher. So if you see something and dont have the voucher yet then dont sweat.

Yep i am a postie lol

the one half decent perk royal mail gives and they cant even get that right :welcome:

and thanks to all you folks for the advice on the frame size, i am fairly (extremely) new to riding so all the advice is invaluable, but will be looking at the 18" frame thanks to all of the advice offered

the cencus seems to be swaying to the g.t. but now im wondering if i should wait see if they drop the price of the voodoo in 1 of their sales

damn 2 many choices with not enough knowledge :smile:

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
btw also read elsewhere that these C2W vouchers are not usable on sale bikes which if it is the case makes them poor value for money.

Scrap that got an e-mail back saying that you can buy sale bikes, just reserve the one you want.

Top Bottom