advice on which mtb please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
ok went and sat on the 18" and felt it a bit small ( I`m 6ft ) so tried the 20", felt better but maybe a smidgen too big :S no 19" which is a pity. Guy in Halfords was very helpful indeed suggested a shorter stem, though I didn`t feel stretched just thinking about off road. Had just about an 1" of hee haw clearance on top tube. So have reserved the 20" just now and hes gonna keep his eyes peeled for anything else that comes up. BTW missed out on a voodoo boker ( ok a 2008 model ) but far far better spec than anything else for £400!!

Hmm might go back in and check sizes again ......

OP
OP
alci4

alci4

kinda stuck now

dont know if to go down and check i can still add the money for the voodoo or wait for my loc and play my face if they dont let me. If i do this and they dont let me then i will have missed the fury sale

that said i have falled head over for the bantu it's a fantastic looking bike

OP
OP
alci4

alci4

MrGrumpy said:
ok went and sat on the 18" and felt it a bit small ( I`m 6ft ) so tried the 20", felt better but maybe a smidgen too big :S no 19" which is a pity. Guy in Halfords was very helpful indeed suggested a shorter stem, though I didn`t feel stretched just thinking about off road. Had just about an 1" of hee haw clearance on top tube. So have reserved the 20" just now and hes gonna keep his eyes peeled for anything else that comes up. BTW missed out on a voodoo boker ( ok a 2008 model ) but far far better spec than anything else for £400!!

Hmm might go back in and check sizes again ......

hi m8

was wondering did u have to pay anything to order it

also have you had your letter of collection yet?

still waiting for my form to sign it's been a week and half now

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
not paid anything to reserve it usually a tenner but the sales guys just waived it, my letter has been returned should get an acknowledgement this week which is your 11 days cooling of period after which you get your voucher. Takes for ages to setup, same last time as well. All in all I reckon 4 weeks from applying and receiving voucher. BTW reordered the 18", the 20" although fitting was going to be a bit too big for chucking it about Glentress :blush:

OP
OP
alci4

alci4

did you have to tell them which bike you ordering when you applied

guy at halfords seemed to think i would have to choose the bike before i got the loc

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
you don`t have too but I would make sure you can get what it is you are after, if its not Halfords bike! Other than that no you don`t unless you want the a sale bike in which case reserve it whilst its cheaper and wait on your LoC. BTW the terms and conditions of your LoC mean no adding money to the voucher!! Its written down on the letter, you will see it.

OP
OP
alci4

alci4

i ended up ordering the gt agressor xc1 it was down from £649 to £519 so i payed the £20 as a deposit then when the sale ended they dropped the price to 629 still with the 20% off so i went into halfords and cancelled it then reordered it for 503.99

couldnt get the voodoo bantu as nowhere seems to stock it so to order it online you have to pay upfront, if you order instore you dont get the web price and it goes back up to £579

looking at the voodoo bokor on for £599.99 at the moment and i have just signed the wife up to the scheme so i am gonna ask if i can order it and pay then get it refunded when her voucher comes

ultraviolet

it can't rain all the time....
Cyclist33 said:
I just bought a similar spec GT and I would take that over the Carrera. My mate's Carrera is about a year old and the hub just snapped, he hasn't even been riding it off-road. I would imagine the GT is lighter and stronger on the frame and it's definitely better aesthetically.

I echo the sentiment above - I'm 5 11 and got a medium, I think that's 18" frame as both my previous MTBs have been 19" and were unmanoeuvrably big. The medium bike is perfect. I spose it depends what you want to do with it and what body shape you are, too.

Cyc.

the hubs are the same on both bikes

OP
OP
alci4

alci4

k finally decided i have cancelled the XC1 ordered GT Aggressor XCR Mountain Bike 09 18" down from £799.99 to £623.99

the wife has signed up for the cycle2work scheme and is getting me the Voodoo Bokor Mountain Bike 18" down from £749.99 to £599.99

both specs below

hope 2 see some of u out there soon (thanks for all advice folks)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
GT Aggressor XCR Mountain Bike 09 18"

■Frame Material: Aluminium
■Frame Size: 17-18
■Gender: Mens
■Suspension: Front
■Alloy Rims: Yes
■Brake Type: Hydraulic Disc
■Chainset: Truvativ Firex 3.1 chainset with GXP BB
■Exact Frame Size: 18"
■Forks: Marzocchi 44TST2, 140mm travel, 15mm axle, adj rebound & lock-out
■Frame Colour: White and Gunmetal
■Frame-: Superlight GT Triple Triangle frame, hydroformed & butted tubing
■Front Brake: Avid Juicy 3 hydraulic disc brakes, 185mm rotors
■Front Mech: Shimano Deore
■Gear Shifters: Shimano Deore Rapid Fire
■Handle Bars: GT oversize handlebar
■Headset: GT Alloy
■Hubs: Formula dc20/e37
■Number of Gears: 27
■Pedals: Classic Cage with Toe Clips
■Quick Release Wheels: Yes
■Rear Brake: Avid Juicy 3 hydraulic disc brakes 160mm rotors
■Rear Mech: Alex DP20 disc rims
■Rear Shock: NA
■Rims: Alex DP20 disc rims
■Saddle: SDG Bel Air saddle
■Seatpost: Alloy Black
■Stem: GT Oversized
■Tyre size: 2.3"
■Tyres: Maxxis Ignitor
■Wheel size: 26"

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Voodoo Bokor Mountain Bike 18"

Alloy Rims: Yes
Brake Type: Hydraulic Disc
Chainset: Raceface Ride XC chainset
Exact Frame Size: 18"
Fork Lock-out : Yes
Fork travel: 100mm
Forks: Rock Shox Recon Race Air
Forks - Adjustable damping : Yes
Frame Colour: Blue
Frame Material: Aluminium
Frame Size: 17-18
Frame-: Voodoo 7005 butted aluminium frame with single speed compatible sliding dropouts
Front Brake: avid juicy 3 hydraulic disc brakes with 180mm rotor
Front Mech: SRAM X7
Gear Shifters: SRAM X7
Handle Bars: Raceface Ride XC
Hubs: Formula sealed super smooth bearing hubss
Number of Gears: 27
Pedals: Alloy platform pedals
Quick Release Wheels: Yes
Rear Brake: Avid Juicy - 160mm rotors
Rear Mech: SRAM X9
Rims: Mavic XM317
Saddle: Voodoo
Seatpost: Raceface Ride XC
Stem: Raceface Ride XC
Suspension: Front
Tyre size: 2.1"
Tyres: Geax Barro Mountain
Wheel size: 26"
Approximate Weight (KG): 12.5

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
well thought my voucher would of been here today but hopefully tomorrow. Still going for the Fury I reserved at 440 notes, seems best bang for buck ;)

OP
OP
alci4

alci4

i emailed em

they said mine would be here begining of next week

went down halfords today my xcr is built and hge was building my voodoo it's sweet

the raceface kit looks the dogs

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
well got it picked up today, along with other bits and pieces. Nice looking bike so need to get some pictures up :wacko: The gears are ghost shifting which is not good :tired: but think ill try and deal with that myself.

OP
OP
alci4

alci4

damn yeah lets see it 4 it gets nice and grimy then lets see it after :tired:

it was bongmans pics of his xcr that swayed me into getting that as well as the bokor

how come u did'nt get it yestarday? i presume the loc came in the post yesterday (unless u doing 7 day deliverys up there which im sure r.m. would like us 2 do)

Top Bottom