Advice on winter touring tyres.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

8mph

Veteran
I've been told by my LBC not to tour on my 33mm Maxxis mud wrestler cyclocross tyres. They're light, handle grit and snow well and don't puncture easily, but apparently, they will wear out quickly once loaded and might come off the rim.
I weigh 85kg and carry about 10kg of kit and food. I'm planning on cycling through mountainous areas during December. Speed and distance matter to me, I'm having a cycling holiday, the only sightseeing I do is on the saddle.

My solution - Ignore the bike shop and pack a spare. What's yours?

Thanks in advance for any help divining the right tyre for my needs.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
I weigh about the same as you & your kit, would your LBS not sell me those tyres as I'm too heavy & they are not suitable? I reckon your solution should be fine :okay:
Maybe load the bike up & have a test ride locally before venturing off & see how the tyres cope.

OP
OP
8mph

8mph

Veteran
I weigh about the same as you & your kit, would your LBS not sell me those tyres as I'm too heavy & they are not suitable? I reckon your solution should be fine :okay:
Maybe load the bike up & have a test ride locally before venturing off & see how the tyres cope.

Hi, I did try a 400 mile trip with these tyres and they are a bit worn. Maxxis do say that the tyres are duel compound so as the soft knobbly bits wear of the harder compound is exposed. I'm thinking of doing a couple of thousand miles this winter so it might be wise to invest in some decent new alternatives that are more durable and still light. I was impressed with my current tyres in last winters snow storms, they were ace.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
It sounds like your LBS wants to sell you some more tyres. Search the internet for reviews on the tyres. You may find you want to change LBS. Mine has never tried to sell me anything I didnt ask for.

Are expecting much ice ? Knobblies are good in snow but little help on ice where studs are the only solution. Winter tyres such as Marathon Winter will give you some grip in snow, excellent performance on ice and enough puncture protection to avoid having to faff around on a cold, wet, exposed mountaintop

OP
OP
8mph

8mph

Veteran
It sounds like your LBS wants to sell you some more tyres. Search the internet for reviews on the tyres. You may find you want to change LBS. Mine has never tried to sell me anything I didnt ask for.
I had a pedal service yesterday and today my pedal fell off, so, yes maybe don't go back. Still, is it wise to tour on a tyre that weighs 3/400g ?
I like cross tyres but maybe I should seek out something more durable for the back.

OP
OP
8mph

8mph

Veteran
Are expecting much ice ? Knobblies are good in snow but little help on ice where studs are the only solution. Winter tyres such as Marathon Winter will give you some grip in snow, excellent performance on ice and enough puncture protection to avoid having to faff around on a cold, wet, exposed mountaintop
Nothing so extreme.....I hope!

Thanks for the replies, I've just ordered some Schwalbe Energizer Plus Tour tyres 700x35.

I think the advice they gave you about tyres is not unreasonable. It seems you agree as you’ve ordered replacements.

The pedal thing doesn’t sound good though and, if you’re going to be doing more long distance touring in the future, should be good incentive for learning to maintain your own bike?

Enjoy your tour. You’re more hard core than me touring over mountains in December.

OP
OP
8mph

8mph

Veteran
I think the advice they gave you about tyres is not unreasonable. It seems you agree as you’ve ordered replacements.

The pedal thing doesn’t sound good though and, if you’re going to be doing more long distance touring in the future, should be good incentive for learning to maintain your own bike?

Enjoy your tour. You’re more hard core than me touring over mountains in December.
Thanks, I'm just ordering parts from SJS cycles and doing the work myself after a couple of disappointing services.

Drago

Legendary Member
Use the tyres. Unless you're doing stupid mileage, say 1500+, or will be in Nowthwest Remotistan, where replacements can't be bought, it really won't be a issue.

OP
OP
8mph

8mph

Veteran
Use the tyres. Unless you're doing stupid mileage, say 1500+, or will be in Nowthwest Remotistan, where replacements can't be bought, it really won't be a issue.
I've been working all summer to fund a trip and missing out on rides so the bike feels like it's made out of lead already! I've bought myself some 35mm tyres weighing in at 700g each as a compromise.

OP
OP
8mph

8mph

Veteran
Fitted the Schwalbe tyres today and inflated them to 75 psi. The bike is noticeably heavier to lift and there is a little bit more vibration but it's a whole load faster. I just breezed up an incline and was shocked at how easy it was!
I'm replacing the rather lovely Shimano DX pd m-650 pedals with a new pair of Wellgo LU939 pedals. I think that the DX's are worn out, what a pity.

Last edited:
Top Bottom