Advice Please - Single Speed Build Woes :(

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TechMech

I've got hold of a 1986 Raleigh Winner frame (60") and forks that I'm attempting to make in to a single speed.

However, after getting all the parts together I started fitting them together this morning. Now everything fits fine apart from two kinda major problems.

1. The Miche 1/8 track chain I bought is too short for the 48x18 combo I'm using. And when I say too short I mean by about 8 to 10 links? I'm guessing that if I bought a second chain of the same make and type I could join the two and re-split it at the right length?

2. The bike was originally designed for 27" wheels and I'm using 700's which are smaller, however, after purchasing long drop brakes the front seems to fit fine, but the back is still some 3-4mm into the tyre with the brake blocks at their fullest extent. I really want two brakes on the bike as I'm a little on the heavy side and it's quite hilly round here, so does anyone know how I can fix this?

Personally, I can't see any other way round the brake problem without looking for a frame designed for 700 wheels, but I'm hoping some of you fixed and SS boffins may have some inside info......

zimzum42

Legendary Member
Wow - sounds a bit complex....

First of all, no wonder your chain is short cos a 60" frame is massive. Are you like 15feet tall???

Assuming you mean cm, lol, it seems a bit odd that the chain should be that short, they are normally too long. But yes, get another chain and a couple of power links and you will be fine.

Not sure what to tell you about the wheels, save to say it would be better if you used the wheels it was designed for! sorry

nuovo_record

wasn't the "winner" designed for centre-pulls?
there are brakes with an even bigger drop...the "winner" wasn't anything special frame wise.
my holdsworth was originally on 27" wheels, but now on 700c and the alhonga deep drops are fine

D

Deleted member 1258

TechMech said:
I've got hold of a 1986 Raleigh Winner frame (60") and forks that I'm attempting to make in to a single speed.

However, after getting all the parts together I started fitting them together this morning. Now everything fits fine apart from two kinda major problems.

1. The Miche 1/8 track chain I bought is too short for the 48x18 combo I'm using. And when I say too short I mean by about 8 to 10 links? I'm guessing that if I bought a second chain of the same make and type I could join the two and re-split it at the right length?

2. The bike was originally designed for 27" wheels and I'm using 700's which are smaller, however, after purchasing long drop brakes the front seems to fit fine, but the back is still some 3-4mm into the tyre with the brake blocks at their fullest extent. I really want two brakes on the bike as I'm a little on the heavy side and it's quite hilly round here, so does anyone know how I can fix this?

Personally, I can't see any other way round the brake problem without looking for a frame designed for 700 wheels, but I'm hoping some of you fixed and SS boffins may have some inside info......

TechMech how much drop have you got on your long drop rear brake?
Theres a couple of deep drop brake sets on this page, are they better than you have?

http://www.velosolo.co.uk/shoppedal.html

OP
OP
T

TechMech

Cheers for the replies guys!

The brakes I bought were only up to 57mm max, whereas the ones on the site the Dave R posted will go up to 78mm. I also found these on ebay

As for the chain, I now know what's happened. The Miche chain I bought is intended for a track bike and only has 100 links, whereas generally it seems other 1/8 chains (like KMC) have 112 links and would have fitted perfectly, oh well my mistake. This is the chain I thinking about getting as a replacement here

I know the frame is nothing special, but I got the whole bike for £20 so I though I'd just use it. Also, it was definitely side pulls that were on the bike originally.

nuovo_record

TechMech said:
Cheers for the replies guys!

I know the frame is nothing special, but I got the whole bike for £20 so I though I'd just use it. Also, it was definitely side pulls that were on the bike originally.

ok - i had a winner and that had centre pulls - that swhy i thought the drop coud be deeper. give it a good, single speed is pretty good.

Top Bottom