Advice please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Scorpio

I recently decided to take up cycling to enjoy my retirement more. I was shocked to find however that my balance has deteriorated to the point that it was practically impossible for me to balance and steer on 2 wheels. I suffer from spinal stenosis and this may be causing me balancing problems. I don't feel quite ready yet for a disability buggy so have been looking at trikes. Has anybody had any experience of Jorvik trikes? I've been reading mixed reviews about them....some say they have had excellent service on great machines whilst others say to avoid them at all costs. Any help from personal experience would be greatly appreciated.

weareHKR

No idea mate TBH, had to google them, promo vid looks quite good, even electric versions now!
I'm sure someone in here will have some experiences to share... ;)

Johnsco

Old Fettler
During the first lock-down I fettled-up my 1960s Carlton that had rotted in the garage for more than 30 years.
In my young days, I was a keen road cyclist and loved the two-wheel life.
I'm 73 now ... a half-decent engineer ... and keen to have a go.
After a lot of work, I got the old machine up and running.
I gave it a coat of paint ... Away we go (I Thought).
BUT .... Then I got on it.
Oh dear !!
I had lost my sense of balance and lost my confidence.
I almost fell-off - It was like when I was a kid of 10 years old, trying to ride a two-wheeler for the first time.
Like the OP ... I couldn't balance and I couldn't steer.
After a cup tea, I swallowed my hurt-pride and I had another go ... up and down our quiet road.
Next - Round the block a few times.
Then I tried going further and further each time.
The traffic didn't worry me - It never did.
Slowly my balance and my confidence came back and is now as good as it ever was.
I don't have the stamina that I used to have.
That's not surprising.
The fun and the pleasure is still there.
Persevere - If you can .... It does get better.

Attachments

• DSC03484.JPG
    DSC03484.JPG
    266.6 KB · Views: 2

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Quick Q, as it isn't clear in the original post, but have you ever been able to ride a bike? What is your cycling history, if you haven't ridden since your teens or before then it wouldn't be surprising to be a little rusty on your return.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
We had a Jorvik trike for Mrs Oldhippy, she loved it pottering about town, roads and cycle paths. I would say go for one if you have the opportunity.

Another hazard of a trike is that hitherto-unnoticed slopes turn into Mont Ventoux.
There's two between me and Asda, which are particularly apparent with a weeks shopping on board.
The main hazzard of tricycling is being a good bi cyclist. Non bikers can ride trikes pretty easily but you have to unlearn bi cycling. You cant steer by leaning or balance by steering. On a trike you steer by steering and balance by balancing. Trikes also respond to road camber much more than bikes. I find it a fun and different experience.

Top Bottom