Advice re Clipless Pedals?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
My view is that clipless is superior to toeclips and straps in every way except one: and that's the need for "special shoes". I find them easier and safer to clip in and out of than toeclips, so I don't think the OP faces any extra risk of injury over and above the toe clips he's already familiar with and has already accepted wearing special shoes. The only snag is being unable to ride in normal shoes once you've fitted clipless pedals.

Couple of items based on my own prejudices/ opinion. I prefer the two bolt / mountain bike style of fitting as you can then walk round in the shoes. I've never tried the 3 bolt race style so don't know what I'm sacrificing in cycle performance but they are impractical for my usage. I also prefer the double sided ones and didn't find the spd one side / flat the other very good as you always seem to be flipping them over. Personally I like the crank brothers eggbeater style which are four sided so to speak however they are frankly overpriced and not particularly long lived. The Shimano ones are much better value

No arguments - clipless is superior and one is unlikely to go back. It can be learnt with maybe one or spills. Other things to keep in mind.
1. Lowest tension and WD40 to keep the spring loose. Stores stock it and if kept long, it becomes tight to release despite the lowest tension. Had that problem and thought I was using the wrong approach to release.
2. If you fall with both feet clipped, be mentally prepared to fall on your shoulder and aim to roll. Yes, with both feet clipped.
3. You are the on the wrong side of age so do not use your hand or arm to break your fall.

Others have provided ample advice on practice and training. Good luck.

Sharky

Guru
When clipless were introduced, they were replacing steel toe clips with leather straps and special shoes, with metal cleats nailed onto the sole. These were very difficult to set up as there was no "float". If you got the alignment wrong, it played havoc with your knees. When getting new shoes, I would ride a few miles without cleats, so that an imprint would be made on the sole, before committing to nailing the plates on. You had to have a "last" to do the job properly and if the nails were too long, it was a bit "uncomfortable".

Once on, they did the job of holding feet in place, but for the occasions when you really wanted to pull up, you tightened the straps. If left for too long in a tightened position, it cut the blood flow to the feet and became uncomfortable.

The modern clipless pedals, with float, eliminated all these problems and in all ways are superior.

Not everyone used nailed on shoe plates, and they were going out of fashion, replaced by either adjustable slotted plates for racing or grooved soles for touring, anyway when clipless were introduced.
I’ve tried various clipless over the years, still got a pair of early Looks somewhere, SPD, Time various, and I’ve never been convinced that the small performance-advantage if there is one-, is worth the disadvantages of slipping on polished floors, getting dirt in the cleats clip-clopping about like you’re wearing hob-nailed boots. Small inset pedals like Time Atac are like riding on walnuts, larger road cleats are awful to walk in.There was one case in the local paper where a cyclist fell over and was killed when he didn’t unclip in time, I’ve seen and heard of various other injuries as well. So yes, if you’re racing get them, otherwise I wouldn’t bother.

Last edited:

Alex321

Veteran
Not everyone used nailed on shoe plates, and they were going out of fashion, replaced by either adjustable slotted plates for racing or grooved soles for touring, anyway when clipless were introduced.
I’ve tried various clipless over the years, still got a pair of early Looks somewhere, SPD, Time various, and I’ve never been convinced that the small performance-advantage if there is one-, is worth the disadvantages of slipping on polished floors, getting dirt in the cleats clip-clopping about like you’re wearing hob-nailed boots. Small inset pedals like Time Atac are like riding on walnuts, larger road cleats are awful to walk in.There was one case in the local paper where a cyclist fell over and was killed when he didn’t unclimbed in time, I’ve seen and heard of various other injuries as well. So yes, if you’re racing get them, otherwise I wouldn’t bother.
I use SPD cleats, and have really never found any disadvantage to them. I don't slip on polished floor, or clip-clop around. The cleats are recessed, the soles of the shoes I wear have reasonable tread on them, they are just very much stiffer than normal walking about shoes.

There is an advantage, particularly on hills, but I agree it isn't huge.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I’ve tried various clipless over the years, still got a pair of early Looks somewhere, SPD, Time various, and I’ve never been convinced that the small performance-advantage if there is one-, is worth the disadvantages of slipping on polished floors, getting dirt in the cleats clip-clopping about like you’re wearing hob-nailed boots. Small inset pedals like Time Atac are like riding on walnuts, larger road cleats are awful to walk in.There was one case in the local paper where a cyclist fell over and was killed when he didn’t unclimbed in time, I’ve seen and heard of various other injuries as well. So yes, if you’re racing get them, otherwise I wouldn’t bother.

You don't slip about with the two bolt style - they're just like normal trainers or even smartish office shoes in the case of my rather blingy Dromarti. The 3 bolt ones admittedly don't seem to be sensibly walkable in which is why I've never tried them.

Also admittedly you are more likely to fall over
unclipping but even then no worse that clips and straps, but conversely less likely to slip off the pedals grunting away from the lights

Last edited:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Not everyone used nailed on shoe plates, and they were going out of fashion, replaced by either adjustable slotted plates for racing or grooved soles for touring,
In the 70s / 80s I rode with toeclips and to be honest I never knew shoe plates existed. I don't think I've ever seen one. I had a pair of "touring shoes" which were just stiff soled trainers.

Sadly when I moved house one time I left the bin bag containing those, and various other, shoes behind and took a bag of bona fide rubbish with me. :sad:

I've been flipping between clip-in pedals and platform pedals on my various bikes in an attempt to come to some conclusions about which is best. Three years on and I can't say that I feel that clip-in pedals give me any tangible improvement in performance, efficiency or safety. It's nice to clip in, I've been using clip-in pedals since they appeared in the 80's. I use TIME A-tac on my Audax bike and a Mikashima A-tac clone on my touring bike. And then I've done the same rides with trainers, regular shoes, DMs and I don't feel slower. Once I'm rolling I don't think about my feet. I don't slip off the pedals. I think we, (as enthusiasts, and indeed the whole bike industry), need to be a little less keen to push people towards technology which isn't strictly necessary. I spent years working in bike shops trying to encourage people to buy the latest greatest bits. I should have been selling them what they needed rather than what I - as a bike geek - wanted them to buy.

Last edited:

Dale 1956

Standard SPD pedals will do the trick, and if not confident, the multi-release cleats
multi-release cleats are the way to go I never did fall off on my first pair but I know I have been very lucky too! I have been using them from 2009 and still going.The real ? is when will I fall lol.

Top Bottom