Advice re Clipless Pedals?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Good morning all. Hope you all had a good Christmas?
I have always ridden with toe clips and straps on all my bikes. My wife bought me new cycling shoes for Christmas. They are very nice and comfortable off the bike, they are however a more bulky shoe and I am worried that I may have problems getting my foot out! I have loosened the straps and I think they will be ok but not 100% sure.
It has made me wonder if I would be better off getting a pair of clipless pedals? At 77 years young, the thought of falling off my bike is scaring me a little.
Any advice or thoughts would be most welcome. I have never tried clipless pedals but I would welcome any advice.
Many thanks and Happy New Year to all.

Alex321

Veteran
Almost everybody falls at least once when they first try clipless - but it is at a standstill :smile: Few do so more than once or twice.

First question is whether your nice new shoes have holes for cleats, and if so, which type as that will determine which clipless pedal you can use.

Some bike shoes have holes for both 2-bolt SPD type and 3-bolt road type cleats, inwhich ase you can get whichever you prefer.

Personally, I prefer the 2-bolt type, as they are usually recessed, and so easier to walk in. You can also quite easily get pedals for those which have clips one side and flat the other, so more flexible if you occasionally want to just jump on the bike quickly without changing shoes.

OP
OP
Saracenlad

Saracenlad

P1030603.JPG

Cycleops

Legendary Member
All you need are cleats and the pedals now. Check Decathlon who have someone at a reasonable price. Double sided might be better as you can use with normal or cleated shoes.
Don't worry about releasing from the clips as you can adjust them to the lowest tension.
Inevitably you will have at least one 'clipless moment' when your brain hasn't recalibrated and you fall gracefully sideways. :smile:

These are the Decathlon double sided I use.

Last edited:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
As above, double sided SPD pedals and SH56 multi release cleats. You can swap over to other cleats later on if you feel the need.

I never fell off as a result of changing to clipless, and I suspect that my history of toeclip use may have helped in this regard. But many people do.

My training method was to go down the park and ride around very slowly on grass repeatedly clipping in and out, challenging myself to leave it too late. I did a couple of half hour sessions like this before I trusted myself. on the road Then for a while, whenever you slow down, try to remember and clip out early. Eventually I found that the reflexes got wired such that I can leave it to my feet to sort out clipping in and out themselves and not bother my brain with such details.

TBH, although I prefer clipless, there's no real benefit and you may wish to stay with toeclips. After all, if it ain't broke ... In which case then you can always risk hurting your wife's feelings and returning the shoes and exchanging for a more toeclip friendly pair.

Good morning,
Hope that pic is of use.
I too ride with clips and straps and mountain bike/SPD shoes, actual worn out shoes here. :smile: https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/w...e-always-go-for-the-best.277709/#post-6480757

I normally ride with the straps so that there is just enough space to get my feet out and have never had a problem, I have also found that the ridges in the soles of an MTB shoe partially act as shoe plates anyway a lot of the time, except when riding out of the saddle.

One of my rides has a 17% plus gradient and that part of the ride needs the straps done up when I had 42x24 as a bottom gear, but that is an exception.

I have inferred from your post that you didn't use shoe plates with your old shoes, if you did then I would be very temped to try clipless, I haven't had shoe plates for quite a while so I have gotten use to them being missing.

There is no doubt in my mind that clipless is better than lose toe clips and no plates but I find that I am happy with the losses nearly all of the time, I've never been comfortable with cleats as my right foot doesn't point straight ahead! ,Yellow SPD_SL (won't fit your shoes though) cleats have the greatest float and there are SPD multi release cleats that seems to be designed to come unclipped more easily, always worried that that meant unexpectedly when climbing a steep hill!

Out of curiously I have been riding Shimano A530 pedals for a while https://thecyclezone.com/product/shimano-a530-spd-touring-clipless-pedals/ (they are of course out of stock) and I am now sure that I don't like them,:smile: they are SPD on one side and flat on the other. So they could be a safe way of deciding if you like clipless as you can be clipped in while in the countryside and unclipped when in town.

Bye

Ian

Last edited:

Sharky

Guru
Very difficult to advise. I switched to clipless years ago, had a few falls and learned to use them and now wouldn't switch back. But as an almost 72 yr old, in the past 10 years or so, have had spills for other reasons and some at very slow speeds and they all hurt!

Before I switched, I used toe clips and straps and with cleats nailed onto the shoes, If tightened too much, especially when climbing, you had the equivalent of a clipless moment and could easily topple without getting your feet out.

Have also crashed with clipless and your feet automatically release from the pedals as they are intended, thus reducing the risk of further injury from being locked solid onto the bike. The bike and the rider just seperate and don't get tangled up.

I would be inclined to stick with what you have. Are the toe clips the metal type with leather straps and size large?

An alternative might me to switch to studded MTB pedals and use without toeclips or cleats. I briefly tried these and they do give a good grip with trainer type walking shoes.

Good luck deciding

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I used clips with straps for years but never felt happy with clipless tho' I persevered for at yeast a year. Eventually I went to flats for my MB and when touring found flats more convenient as speed was not my aim. When it was wet in summer I used sandals with bare feet of course when touring.

A clipless moment at 77 is quite different to one in your 20's. Spend a long session in the park, on soft grass, retraining your feet to twist out rather than slip out rearwards.

I have used clipless shoes in toe clips but you have to match the sole pattern to the pedal style to avoid getting stuck on an aggressive sole knobble.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
All you need are cleats and the pedals now. Check Decathlon who have someone at a reasonable price. Double sided might be better as you can use with normal or cleated shoes.
Don't worry about releasing from the clips as you can adjust them to the lowest tension.
Inevitably you will have at least one 'clipless moment' when your brain hasn't recalibrated and you fall gracefully sideways. :smile:

View attachment 624185

These are the Decathlon double sided I use.
to be pernickety they are called single sided as one side is clipped with a flat on the other , double sided means it clips in both sides ;) only raising it just in case the OP goes and buys the wrong sort due to confusion

Top Bottom