Advice required about wheels.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

taximan

senex crepitu iuvenis cordi esse
Next year, my friend and I are planning to attempt Lejog carrying our camping gear with us. This means that we will by carrying a lot more weight than usual and I am a little concerned whether or not my present wheels will be able to cope and am thinking about replacing them. Circumstances dictate that I am only able to look at the budget end of the market, (we are both OAPs) What I am looking for is a pair of 700c wheels with double wall rims, I also would like hubs in which I can access the bearings for service etc rather that the type with sealed bearings that are press fitted. I use a 7 speed freewheel. Normally I would go to my LBS for advice but sadly they closed down a little while ago. The nearest is now over 20 miles away and they were only interested in selling me a set of wheels which cost almost as much as my bike. Can anyone suggest a supplier/ manufacturer where I could obtain them from.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I suggest you want to be looking at the type of wheels fitted to flat bar hybrids, which are generally no-nonsense 36 spoke jobs. If you are on a tight budget, it might be cheapest to buy a complete secondhand 700c hybrid bike so you can use it's wheels. My Raleigh Pioneer is currently fitted with wheels from an Apollo CX10 hybrid that I bought for peanuts off eBay and scrapped for spare parts. I do gentle off-road - bumpy gravel and dirt tracks in woods on it, and they are holding up fine. I weigh 200 lbs with my clothes and shoes on, so I'm not a skinny lightweight rider. Despite coming off a cheap Apollo bike, the wheels aren't flimsy.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I can endorse @SkipdiverJohn 's recommendation of hybrid 36 spoke wheels. Recently got a rear to replace one totalled by a 4x4 and its been great on the hard rutted surfaces here. It has a serviceable Shimano hub and cost about fifteen quid secondhand. The only caveat might be that newer one will come with disc hubs.

OP
OP
taximan

taximan

senex crepitu iuvenis cordi esse
What (which?) wheels do you have at present? They may be perfectly suited to such exploits.

the problem with the wheels I am using at the moment is that they have sealed bearings and during the last 5 or six years or so, I have had three of them collapse on me and I would hate that to happen with a fully loaded bike miles from anywhere..

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I can endorse @SkipdiverJohn 's recommendation of hybrid 36 spoke wheels. Recently got a rear to replace one totalled by a 4x4 and its been great on the hard rutted surfaces here. It has a serviceable Shimano hub and cost about fifteen quid secondhand. The only caveat might be that newer one will come with disc hubs.

Most cheap 700C flat bar bikes are still being made with rim brakes, and are likely to continue to be, so hub compatibility shouldn't be a problem. If buying a donor bike used, my tip is to go for a small sized womens frame, if you just want to strip the bike for parts. The chances are it will have been owned by a fairly small and lightweight rider, so will have less wear & tear on it than some large sized mens frame bike that has been run into the ground by a 16 stone bloke.

Ajax Bay

Guru
If buying a donor bike used, my tip is to go for a small sized womens frame, if you just want to strip the bike for parts.
Chances of getting what the OP is after "a pair of 700c wheels with double wall rims, I also would like hubs in which I can access the bearings for service etc rather that the type with sealed bearings that are press fitted." from a donor bike is, imo. low, and you'd need to be able to recognise such rims/hubs by merely looking (which an expert like SkippyJ could maybe do but most of us could not (to the spec described by the OP).
Need for more than 32 spoked wheels is really dependent on all up system weight (with end-to-end camping kit) which we don't know. 32s would be entirely reliable for 110kg minus.
Again we still don't know what wheels the OP has on now, except that they have 'sealed' (cartridge) bearings. Internal rim width? Width of tyre OP wishes to run? Overall (estimated) system weight?

Top Bottom