Advice sought on interchangable chain rings.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Yes, it would (technically) be OK to fit a 10-speed chainring as the internal width of 10 and 11-speed chains are the same. Therefore the ring width is the same. However, that particular crank of yours is fancy. It has an 3-D structure and the chainring countours with the crank's organic shape. The chainring is hollow and therefore very complex to make and it costs a lot of money. If you were to fit another chainring on there, the shape won't match and it will look really ugly and present you with some sharp edges.

The replacement ring is a proprietary part available only from Shimano.

Good looks cost money.

Post a nice side-on photo of that chainring so we can have a look at the wear on those teeth. A big ring takes a long time to wear out.
I spend most of the ride in the big ring. I do use the small ring as & when needed.

U

User6179

Here is a pic of my Tiagra crankset (£35 new) with about 12000 miles on it, big ring has plenty of life and the middle ring will get changed shortly but still working fine.

IMAG0131.jpg

Sharky

Guru
Guy in the indi cycle shop pointed out to me the worn area(s) I could clearly see one tooth warn down quite a bit. Knowing how the chain has been slipping, I didn't inspect further. I'm having the chain & cassete changed too. (Don't wanna be a rich man in the grave yard) ^_^ The cycling does more to beat depresion than meds, so hey ho , no expense spared. I don't smoke, not had a drink for almost 6 months, single bloke etc.:okay:
Still a bit suspicious of the diagnosis, will be even more suspicious if the old ring is no longer available when you go to collect. But the key thing is to get back on the road without slipping.
Happy cycling
Keith

Here is a pic of my Tiagra crankset (£35 new) with about 12000 miles on it, big ring has plenty of life and the middle ring will get changed shortly but still working fine.

View attachment 376050

That is great mileage Eddie. Is that Tiagra made from aluminium? If it is I would suggest it is a better grade of aluminium than mine is made from. Either that or I am doing something very wrong with the bike.

U

User6179

That is great mileage Eddie. Is that Tiagra made from aluminium? If it is I would suggest it is a better grade of aluminium than mine is made from. Either that or I am doing something very wrong with the bike.

Think the Tiagra rings are just steel (SGX), I had the Ultegra triple which I think the big outer ring was aluminium but never lastly any longer than the Tiagra.

Looking at the new 11 speed Crankset it looks like the 105 and Ultegra are the same but maybe the Ultegra has an Aluminium outer to reduce weight.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
because chain ring teeth are different shaped to help with shifting, an inexperienced or Wily mechanic will point as some of the lower profiled ones and say look thy are worn...

Yes, it would (technically) be OK to fit a 10-speed chainring as the internal width of 10 and 11-speed chains are the same. Therefore the ring width is the same. However, that particular crank of yours is fancy. It has an 3-D structure and the chainring countours with the crank's organic shape. The chainring is hollow and therefore very complex to make and it costs a lot of money. If you were to fit another chainring on there, the shape won't match and it will look really ugly and present you with some sharp edges.

The replacement ring is a proprietary part available only from Shimano.

Good looks cost money.

Post a nice side-on photo of that chainring so we can have a look at the wear on those teeth. A big ring takes a long time to wear out.

In a previous thread Globolti said, "The big ring is also completely worn out; I'd be surprised if the chain wasn't jumping around the teeth under pressure. The sound and feel is certainly "gritty".

You guys are the experts, at least compared to me. I am a novice and I rely on the guidance from you. The chain often slips, so Globolti is probably right. :notworthy:

Top Bottom