Advise for a Hybrid in the 300-500 price range

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Nice find.
Check the wear on the teeth. A sharks fin shape is typical of worn out rings and may make chain throwoff easier. Other factors inc bent out of alignment, or just badly adjusted front and rear derailleur mechs

Components that wear and need occasional replacement inc
Chain
Rear sprockets
Front chainrings
Cable inners
Cable outers
Brake blocks
Tyres
Just replace as and when needed

OP
OP
C

choffan

Regular
Tattooed on my right arm all the wise recommendations, thanks!

So far (I biked 6-7km up and down little Cambridge and so exhausting a good deal of monthly chores) the only issue I had is that shifts are not 100% precise, in the sense that gears may move up/down without my command.
I noticed that the chain is not oiled, so that is a thing I will do.

I will also check the forum how to fix the limit screws on the derailleurs, which following @Reynard and others' comment may be responsible for that I guess?

Uncommanded gear shifting is due to the mech being indexed to an inbetween position. Adjust the cable tension to set the position further away from where it shifts uncommanded.
If a chain is jumping to smaller cog, adj cable tension to move the mech towards the bigger cog. 1/2 turn at a time.

OP
OP
C

choffan

Regular
Uncommanded gear shifting is due to the mech being indexed to an inbetween position. Adjust the cable tension to set the position further away from where it shifts uncommanded.
If a chain is jumping to smaller cog, adj cable tension to move the mech towards the bigger cog. 1/2 turn at a time.

excellent, thanks

OP
OP
C

choffan

Regular
Hi all,
Reporting back on the lithium 3 after a week or so of solid usage

PRO (from a noob perspective)
+ After service, shift is very smooth, pleasant
+ Bike is well balanced, and suited to my height
CONS
- At least with the standard tires, the bike feels a way less pardoning when it comes to pavement cracks and holes than the smaller/cheaper bikes I owned before.
- The seat is not bad, but as mentioned above by others, one can tell that in the perspective of longer rides, it is something to consider changing sooner rather than later.

Hence, if users of Lithium 3 or similar bikes can recommend a cheap and comfortable seat, I'd be most grateful :smile:

vickster

Legendary Member
Hi all,

CONS
- At least with the standard tires, the bike feels a way less pardoning when it comes to pavement cracks and holes than the smaller/cheaper bikes I owned before.
- The seat is not bad, but as mentioned above by others, one can tell that in the perspective of longer rides, it is something to consider changing sooner rather than later.

Hence, if users of Lithium 3 or similar bikes can recommend a cheap and comfortable seat, I'd be most grateful :smile:

Try a Charge Spoon saddle. Wanted post in Classifieds might yield one

"700x40C Vee Tyre Speedster tyres offer a smooth ride on a variety of surfaces and good grip in wet or uneven conditions"

40mm is more than wide enough for any surface. You will get used to the new handling.

Hi all,

CONS

Everyone's bum is different and saddles are a very personal thing - it's like Goldilocks and porridge. But +1 for a Charge Spoon or Madison Flux - barring cosmetic differences, they are essentially the same saddle. They're around the £30 mark new, though I do believe that SJS Cycles sell an unbranded version of the same thing for around £10 less.

You will get used to the handling of the bike, as likely it will be a different geometry to what you've ridden before. Hybrids can be a little more twitchy than mountain bikes, and road bikes are twitchier still. It quickly becomes second nature. Also, use your knees and elbows as shock absorbers - it does make a bit difference. And tinker around with the tyre pressures a bit until you find the sweet spot. If the tyres are very firm, it will make for a harsh ride. But make a note of the recommended pressures on the sidewalls, and don't go below that - because if you do, you risk pinch punctures.

HTH :smile:

OP
OP
C

choffan

Regular
Thanks all for the comments. Following your advice, I bought a Charge Spoon for £20 new. Looking forward it! I would have adored the geometry special edition but, as we say back in my home country (Italy), given the level of town crime, with anything different from a bleak black, "you're going to ask for it"!

Thanks all for the comments. Following your advice, I bought a Charge Spoon for £20 new. Looking forward it! I would have adored the geometry special edition but, as we say back in my home country (Italy), given the level of town crime, with anything different from a bleak black, "you're going to ask for it"!

Well, at least Cambridge isn't Vigata...

Hope the saddle suits your bum! :thumbsup:

Top Bottom