advise for a novice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

paddy1

hello all would be very appreciative of any advise
bought a new giant racer a few weeks ago and have started doing 2/3 runs a week and 1 at weekends for approx 10kilometers
its killing me when i get off the bike my legs are going into leadas soon as im off the bike now i live in a fairly hilly part of the world and have to encounter a few hills on my way that are killing me lol
now i shoulda said ive not benn the most fittest lately and havent been on a bike in a few years

corshamjim

It's very easy to get in to the habit of grinding too high a gear. Drop down a gear or two, especially on the hills, and ride at a speed where you can comfortably maintain a conversation. Joining a local club and going out on some of their more leisurely rides will help you appreciate what is a suitable pace.

I'm sure you'll find in only a few weeks what seems hard now will be a breeze. That was my experience when I got back in to cycling a couple of years ago anyway. That doesn't stop me having an occasional off day though.

OP
OP
P

paddy1

It's very easy to get in to the habit of grinding too high a gear. Drop down a gear or two, especially on the hills, and ride at a speed where you can comfortably maintain a conversation. Joining a local club and going out on some of their more leisurely rides will help you appreciate what is a suitable pace.

I'm sure you'll find in only a few weeks what seems hard now will be a breeze. That was my experience when I got back in to cycling a couple of years ago anyway. That doesn't stop me having an occasional off day though.

thanks its good to know it gets easier ive a few cousins who would be very near PROFFESIONAL level and i wouldnt like to ask them too much incase they would laugh 1 said ud be better off just walking when i asked him advise about buying a new bike so tats the end of asking them too much im not looking to go to that level but would really love to build my self up to go with a couple of friends for a spin on a sunday morning but they would do 3/4 hours or so but when i done the first cycle of about 5 mile it near killed me an i thought what have i let me self into

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
Hi Paddy1 & welcome! :hello:

Just wondering - is it possible that your saddle is a wee bit low? This would make cycling much harder work than it needs to be ...
(For a quick check, when you are in the saddle, put one heel on the pedal at its lowest point. Your knee should not be bent ... if it is, your saddle is too low. You may then want to move it up gradually, rather than in one go, if the correct height feels too wobbly.)

Happy cycling!

T

OP
OP
P

paddy1

Just wondering - is it possible that your saddle is a wee bit low? This would make cycling much harder work than it needs to be ...
(For a quick check, when you are in the saddle, put one heel on the pedal at its lowest point. Your knee should not be bent ... if it is, your saddle is too low. You may then want to move it up gradually, rather than in one go, if the correct height feels too wobbly.)

Happy cycling!

T

WILL GO OUT AND CHECK THANKS BUTS ITS THE HEEL IN THE PEDAL ??NOT THE TOE

Suprised nobody else has mentioned it yet but as with ALL exercise make sure you stretch properly Before AND after each ride,

i dont care what people say about they never have or they dont ride enough but the simple fact is if you dont your simply asking for problems and poss injuries, even better if your a novice mate as you can get into the habit of few stretches before you go then when you get back same again.

Happy cycling!

T

Disagree with that 100% when your sat on the saddle with the pedal at its lowest point you should have a slight bend to the knee - around 20-25 degrees. And that has come from numerous professionals who ive had the privilege of speaking with in the past

OP
OP
P

paddy1

Suprised nobody else has mentioned it yet but as with ALL exercise make sure you stretch properly Before AND after each ride,

i dont care what people say about they never have or they dont ride enough but the simple fact is if you dont your simply asking for problems and poss injuries, even better if your a novice mate as you can get into the habit of few stretches before you go then when you get back same again.

CHEERS

OP
OP
P

paddy1

Disagree with that 100% when your sat on the saddle with the pedal at its lowest point you should have a slight bend to the knee - around 20-25 degrees. And that has come from numerous professionals who ive had the privilege of speaking with in the past

CHECKED THE PEDAL DER (god the saddles sore without the shortslol) and im thinking the seat is too high well i mean slightly the leg is full extended when ya put ur heel into the pedal will take the bike along tomorrow to the shop and get a fitting i was told i shoulda got 1 before i left it after handing over my 600 notes
ps what does the ODOS mean on the wee computer on the bike it says MAX , ODOS ,DIST just wondered what the odos meant >????

CHECKED THE PEDAL DER (god the saddles sore without the shortslol) and im thinking the seat is too high well i mean slightly the leg is full extended when ya put ur heel into the pedal will take the bike along tomorrow to the shop and get a fitting i was told i shoulda got 1 before i left it after handing over my 600 notes
ps what does the ODOS mean on the wee computer on the bike it says MAX , ODOS ,DIST just wondered what the odos meant >????

just dont go to Halfords lol, but yea its prob easier for you to get the shop to do it for ya, just make sure your wearing the shoes you ride in at the time as obviously they affect your foot height when on the pedals, but having your leg so its straight is a bad move as you can end up over flexing your knee... (something ive done before, just not on a bike and it hurts lol)

odos is usually = Odometre = distance(total)

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...

Yes, your leg should be slightly bent when your foot is in PEDALLING POSITION, hence the stretched-ish leg when the HEEL is on the pedal ....

T

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Welcome!

Bike fitting, read here:

http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/fitting.htm

Otherwise if you're returning to cycling - take it easy for a while. Spin a gentle gear, allow yourself at least 15 mins warm-up before any great effort and 10 minutes warm down. Try and get ouit 3 times a week. Be patient, the fitness will come fairly quickly.

Top Bottom