adware removal

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
trustysteed said:
what a surprise, you manage to sneak into a PC query post telling everyone you've got a mac.

why don't you change your id to 'macstilleyedye'?

my owning of (several) macs is by the by, the fact of the matter is that, if you want to avoid spybots, viruses etc, buy a mac instead. these days they can be made to boot with windows as well as osx, so you will still have windows functionality if it's really important. just save your online activity for osx.

Tynan

Veteran
mac mob are always boasting, he rst of the time they're asking why stuff won;t work on their macs, for machines styling themselves as multimedia platforms they seem to have a great deal of problems with ummm. multimedia

for the same reason they don;t suffer from virii and the like, no-one can be bothered to write anything form them because the installed base is so bloody small

when I was using them back in the day they most certainly caught virii, don't let anyone tell you different

and they're silly overpriced aren't they

Jaded

Viruses with OS9 yes. Last century. If that's when you last used them then it's time you got re-acquainted!

User base small? 7% and growing. If you take out drone machines and only include machines that are bought by people who can make their own purchasing decisions you'll find the proportion much higher.

Are Sony machines silly overpriced? Is buying a bike for £3,000 silly overpriced when you can buy the same thing for £500?

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
Tynan said:
mac mob are always boasting, he rst of the time they're asking why stuff won;t work on their macs, for machines styling themselves as multimedia platforms they seem to have a great deal of problems with ummm. multimedia

for the same reason they don;t suffer from virii and the like, no-one can be bothered to write anything form them because the installed base is so bloody small

when I was using them back in the day they most certainly caught virii, don't let anyone tell you different

and they're silly overpriced aren't they

such as? :smile::wacko:;)

look at macs as more expensive, but better, computers. they look nicer and are well built and should last for ages. the fact that the new ones can boot in both osx and windows now means that you can have the best of both worlds. in fact, you can even run windows as an application without rebooting at all. the "nothing works on a mac" arguement is very out of date. it's worth remembering that microsoft office first appeared on the mac, not pc, as windows hadn't been invented yet.

and the virii to which you refer, were only an issue before unix-based osx came along, and in any case were easily mopped up with disinfectant, interferon and the like.

domtyler

Über Member
There is plenty of spyware and viruses on the mac, just look at iTunes for godsakes!!

As has been pointed out, anyone could run an obscure and almost obsolete OS that no one has heard of and then claim some kind of superiority because there was not a lot of adware written for it (apart from that written by its own developers!!!! :smile:).

The bottom line is that Macs are bought by overly pretentious and overpaid graphic designers and other similar sorts who need a lump of plastic to sit on their desk and look pretty while they read the paper rather than do any serious constructive work on it.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
domtyler said:
There is plenty of spyware and viruses on the mac, just look at iTunes for godsakes!!

As has been pointed out, anyone could run an obscure and almost obsolete OS that no one has heard of and then claim some kind of superiority because there was not a lot of adware written for it (apart from that written by its own developers!!!! :smile:).

The bottom line is that Macs are bought by overly pretentious and overpaid graphic designers and other similar sorts who need a lump of plastic to sit on their desk and look pretty while they read the paper rather than do any serious constructive work on it.

as opposed to sitting around waiting for IT to come and get their pc working. itunes btw, is neither spyware, nor a virus, but a music player/organiser/music store.

and actually, the mac i am using now is a lump of aluminium sitting under my desk. looks a bit like a designer cheese grater, but hey ho.

domtyler

Über Member
alecstilleyedye said:
as opposed to sitting around waiting for IT to come and get their pc working. itunes btw, is neither spyware, nor a virus, but a music player/organiser/music store.

and actually, the mac i am using now is a lump of aluminium sitting under my desk. looks a bit like a designer cheese grater, but hey ho.

Well, as long as it looks good against the exposed brickwork and gleaming fixed wheel bike that you ride into the office and up to your desk on before nonchalantly leaping off into your chair where the Guardian quick crossword and skinny-mocha-goats-milk-soya-fairtrade-locally-sourced-recycled-cardboard-cup latte awaits! :smile:

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
close, came in on my old reynolds 531 (geared) commuter, shower, etc, walk nonchalantly past the bistro and swimming pool, before eschewing the starbucks for a cup of espresso based kenco from the machine.
i can get free copy of the metro if i want, but prefer t'internet.

Tynan

Veteran
I only see macs referred to in two contexts

smug remarks on threads where people are trying to sort out PC problems

and people with macs asking why they can't things to work on their macs

hence my remarks

if the user base for macs really does get big enough then you'll get all the malware and virii that PCs get won't you? there's nothing inherently superior about Mac OSes

and of course they're over priced, how can that possibly be questioned, quite apart from manufacturing costs, they're sold as aspirational items aren't they're, just look at them

person with pc spyware problem asks for help. is given two choices:

a) download free adwaremalwarespyware removal program links from other pc users

:biggrin: gets told to buy a £1000 mac instead by mac users.

kind of sums mac users up doesn't it?

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
Tynan said:
I only see macs referred to in two contexts

smug remarks on threads where people are trying to sort out PC problems

and people with macs asking why they can't things to work on their macs

hence my remarks

if the user base for macs really does get big enough then you'll get all the malware and virii that PCs get won't you? there's nothing inherently superior about Mac OSes

and of course they're over priced, how can that possibly be questioned, quite apart from manufacturing costs, they're sold as aspirational items aren't they're, just look at them

that's a misunderstanding (albeit a common one), it's because osx is built on unix, which is a very reliable platform, that virus and malware are rare. there are more than enough macs out there for it to be worth the while for the malicious hacker if the number of macintoshes was the only barrier.

i can't see how the mac is considered an aspirational item. when all's said and done, it's what you can do with it that counts. if it doesn't do what you want, get something that does. if it does, get one if budget permits and enjoy a more intuitive interface along with a more secure operating system.

don't buy one for some sort of lifestyle statement, spend the cash on the bike instead.

Jaded

Userbase 7% and growing fast. Watch this space.

Anyone who wrote a virus for OSX that worked would get huge kudos in the underworld. There are no viruses in the wild for OSX, only proofs of concept in labs.

How much does your bike cost? If it is more than a few £100 you have bought an overpriced aspirational lifestyle statement. :smile:

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
trustysteed said:
person with pc spyware problem asks for help. is given two choices:

a) download free adwaremalwarespyware removal program links from other pc users

:smile: gets told to buy a £1000 mac instead by mac users.

kind of sums mac users up doesn't it?

you can get a mac for under £400, which will work with all your old monitors, peripherals etc, and run windows too if it's a must.

remember, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Top Bottom