Aero bar tips

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andy_G

I've just started to use aero bars on my road bike and has anyone got any tips on setting up/getting used to them.
I done 45 mins on the turbo last night on the aeros to just see if the position is ok and it felt fine, but on the way to work on a quite road I thought I'd see how the felt in the real world and it was awful.
I can ride no handed etc but when placing one arm on I was all over the place and when I placed my other arm on it wasn't much better.
Is it a case of getting used to them over time or could it be it's just not for me.

Your arms are closer to the pivot so little movements are more greatly magnified - you'll get used to it. Just give yourself a little more support from the stomach on the transition.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Spend time riding them to get used to it.

It will always be the case they feel a bit twitchy on a road bike, time trial bikes are designed to iron out a bit of that, at the expense of super nimble handling when cornering. You just need to get used to it.

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
Have you made any other adjustments other than fitting the TT bars such as move the seat or flipping the seat post.
How have you determined that you have a reasonable TT profile?
My Venge is rock solid when setup to use TT bars.

I've just started to use aero bars on my road bike and has anyone got any tips on setting up/getting used to them.
I done 45 mins on the turbo last night on the aeros to just see if the position is ok and it felt fine, but on the way to work on a quite road I thought I'd see how the felt in the real world and it was awful.
I can ride no handed etc but when placing one arm on I was all over the place and when I placed my other arm on it wasn't much better.
Is it a case of getting used to them over time or could it be it's just not for me.
The first time I used clip on Bars I was all over the place too, on the TT the following night I was fine. You'll get use to it.
I'll have to get used to it again its been over a year since I last used them!

OP
OP
A

Andy_G

I haven't change anything with the set, I'm hoping that it will come in time as it's something I really want to do.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Perseverance, they feel weird at 1st, you get used to it, after a while you will be going round bends (not proper corners, but bends in the road, which at 1st will have you getting up and onto the outriggers) at near 30 on them!

OP
OP
A

Andy_G

I tried them again on the way home(same road) and the only difference was i didnt put my elbows on the pads, i pulled my elbows back about 3" which was more comfortable.

Top Bottom