Aero Handlebars.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chislenko

Veteran
As each year progresses my STI's seem to get further away!!..... 1 See Note.

So before today's ride I thought to myself turn the bars up a bit.

Great idea, brought the STI's up and made riding on the hoods a lot more comfortable.

Bad idea, when not on the hoods but want to relax on the tops virtually impossible to hold them because of the non round shape.

Need to check if there is any "flip" on my stem, if not a shorter one might be on the cards.

1.. Back Not As Flexible As It Used To Be.

Or just get round bars ? Or maybe do some stretching ?

Ajax Bay

Guru
Was going down onto the drops easier too?
Btw this isn't a 'further' thing it's a height of bars/STIs thing.
Do people really 'relax on the tops'? The only time I go there it's to offer a change of grip temporarily, mid-way up a gnarly (longish) hill.

Reactions: C R

Drago

Legendary Member
You supinate your hands and forearm to grip the tops which puts all sorts of stress through the connective tissues, so not an ideal position for resting. Great for applying a powerful grip, so a handy position for gnarly climbing.

OP
OP
Chislenko

Chislenko

Veteran
Was going down onto the drops easier too?

No Ajax, with rotating the bars it had pushed the drops further away so to speak.

There are options for me, flip stem if possible / shorter stem.

It is a very aero bike and when I bought it I was still a supple 59 year old 😄

Now six years later my body isn't minded to be quite so flexible / forgiving as it was.

Why don’t you rotate the bar back to where it was, undo the bar tape and move the actual shifter up the bar and then retape it up? That way you will move the hoods closer and keep a flat aero bar? I need to do this on my Wiggins Rouen as the shop put them on a little too low but don’t want to ruin the lovely new bar tape that it has on it.

OP
OP
Chislenko

Chislenko

Veteran
Why don’t you rotate the bar back to where it was, undo the bar tape and move the actual shifter up the bar and then retape it up? That way you will move the hoods closer and keep a flat aero bar? I need to do this on my Wiggins Rouen as the shop put them on a little too low but don’t want to ruin the lovely new bar tape that it has on it.

That's a good idea @bikingdad90 just shows the value of talking things through and listening to other ideas before going "bull in a China shop"

Ajax Bay

Guru
With the stem 'flipped' the bars are the same distance forward from where the stem attaches. The bars have moved vertically upwards. With a 100mm stem and a 7o stem the rise is about 24mm. If you want to move the hoods towards the saddle you need a shorter stem. These are not expensive and as easy as flipping to fit.
Why don’t you . . . move the actual shifter up the bar
I would be wary of doing this (even if the OP thinks it a "good idea") because when the rider is on the drops (eg for a challenging downhill) this will move the levers away from a position where the rider can operate the brakes effectively.

OP
OP
Chislenko

Chislenko

Veteran
With the stem 'flipped' the bars are the same distance forward from where the stem attaches. The bars have moved vertically upwards. With a 100mm stem and a 7o stem the rise is about 24mm. If you want to move the hoods towards the saddle you need a shorter stem. These are not expensive and as easy as flipping to fit.

I would be wary of doing this (even if the OP thinks it a "good idea") because when the rider is on the drops (eg for a challenging downhill) this will move the levers away from a position where the rider can operate the brakes effectively.

Flipped it for now Ajax, will see how I get on when I go on my next ride.

Appreciate if not much better a shorter stem will be the way to go.

Used it as was for last five years with no problems, I must have just hit that golden age where the body isn't as compliant / forgiving as it once was!!!

Top Bottom