Aerobars, tell me about them.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I'm still mulling over configurations to adapt / add swap out for my flat bars.

I don't want drops, but definitely need the option for change of hand positions.

Any self proclaimed experts, or experienced users on here??

Bar ends.

berty bassett

Legendary Member
They will take away the option of riding with hands close to stem and it’s east to run out of places for lights garmin etc but they add option of tucking small in a head wind ( take some getting used to ) and take all the weight off wrists and hands
I put them on when touring as I find it more comfortable though some may hate it

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Aero bars are frowned upon in some groups - there's the risk of eviscerating the rider in front if you crash into him.

They are formally banned in a lot of organised sportives and charity rides.

Clip-ons could be taken off, but it's worth having a think about how you plan to use the bike before going down the aero bar route.

OP
OP
mudsticks

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
They will take away the option of riding with hands close to stem and it’s east to run out of places for lights garmin etc but they add option of tucking small in a head wind ( take some getting used to ) and take all the weight off wrists and hands
I put them on when touring as I find it more comfortable though some may hate it

Thank you - i'm getting the picture - aero bars - aerodynamism - not my first priority - its more comfort for shoulders elbos and wrists on multiday - or even long day rides.

Aero bars are frowned upon in some groups - there's the risk of eviscerating the rider in front if you crash into him.

They are formally banned in a lot of organised sportives and charity rides.

Clip-ons could be taken off, but it's worth having a think about how you plan to use the bike before going down the aero bar route.

OK thanks - I rarely ride in groups - certainly not aggressively enough to be doing any eviscerating - but thtas good to know.

Probs need to get back to perusing bar ends or butterflies -

Butterflies sound far more appropriate really for my 'pacifist' riding style :shy:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
These are bullhorns;

image.jpg

These are butterflies;
2907097931_794fd7c25e_b.jpg

Gives you the opportunity of hanging loads of stuff off them as here as well as giving you more hand positions. Never used them.
Someone on here recently bought a Charge Fixie with bullhorns and reported them very comfortable.

berty bassett

Legendary Member
I’ve done a few back to back long days and would always choose clip on aero bars - personal choice. Butterfly bars are the work of the devil. Used twice and put in back of shed

OP
OP
mudsticks

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
These are bullhorns;

View attachment 455666

These are butterflies;
View attachment 455668

Gives you the opportunity of hanging loads of stuff off them as here as well as giving you more hand positions. Never used them.
Someone on here recently bought a Charge Fixie with bullhorns and reported them very comfortable.

Ideal :smile:the bullhorns would afford somewhere to hang my handbag -
if I should ever get one.

There seem to be a lot of twirly styles available once you start looking.

I’ve done a few back to back long days and would always choose clip on aero bars - personal choice. Butterfly bars are the work of the devil. Used twice and put in back of shed

What was your main objection?
I've heard some people don't get on with them because of the degree of 'flex' that you get with them.

I'm imagining this would be due to pulling on them hard going uphill?

I try to avoid doing that, and concentrate on using legs, and breath (and gears) to get up hill.

berty bassett

Legendary Member
Ideal :smile:the bullhorns would afford somewhere to hang my handbag -
if I should ever get one.

There seem to be a lot of twirly styles available once you start looking.

What was your main objection?
I've heard some people don't get on with them because of the degree of 'flex' that you get with them.

I'm imagining this would be due to pulling on them hard going uphill?

I try to avoid doing that, and concentrate on using legs, and breath (and gears) to get up hill.
got it in one ! just felt horrible going up hills - i stand most the time going up hill and it just felt wrong

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
IMG_20190227_141605.jpg
I ride with aerobars all the time. I use mine for comfort and to store gear. If I ride with a group, I ride well off the back. The danger with aerobars is that your hands are a long way from the brakes. You dont want to be belting along on someones back wheel. I dont find them twitchy at all. They dont have to be pretty. But they dohave to be practical.

Top Bottom