Aerodynamics and the everyday cyclist

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CXRAndy

Guru
What about weight? I am heavy at 73kg. I will leave my lighter comrades behind on descents.

(They soon catch me up on the next hill though)

I think you have said this before.

YOU ARE NOT HEAVY

Im heavy at 98+ kg

I'll piss all over you free wheeling down hill.:laugh:

panniers and baggy clothing will have a huge drag slowing you down.

It's roughly around 15 mph that air resistance starts to get bigger than rolling resistance.
Good tyres and oil tends to lower rolling resistance.
The better your aerodynamic position is, the faster you can go.

YMMV ........... :biggrin:

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
What about weight? I am heavy at 73kg. I will leave my lighter comrades behind on descents.

(They soon catch me up on the next hill though)
That's only heavy if you're relatively short. I'm 78kg, and am quite slim, because my height is just under 6'3" (190cm).

PaulSB

Legendary Member
One possibility is wheels. I upgraded to carbon wheels a few months ago and have astonished by the benefits.

Descending is now 3-4 mph faster.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Please tell us more about those wheels. Is it the fact that they are carbon or is it the shape of the rim?

Can you measure the increase in speed as, for example, higher recorded averages for the same route?

You mentioned that it also happens when following other cyclists, which would suggest that unless they are all more aerodynamically efficient than you then you might have a problem. The fact that you mentioned that your rear hub is noisy, have you lifted the rear wheel and spun it to see how long it spins for ? The fact that you are carrying panniers will have an affect on drag and so will wearing jeans.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
If you're about the same weight overall, it can only be that he is pushing out more watts than you or his drag coefficient is less

I suspect it's a combination of the two. Panniers are well know to be extremely inefficient aerodynamically. On a 2.5% descent it's easy to keep pedalling so he was probably pushing the pedals a bit harder than you too

It's probably a lot of little things that make you slower.
Slightly more drag in the noisy bearing.
Stiff heavy puncture proof tyres have a high rolling resistance.
Panniers have an increased air resistance while a pannier bag is lower.
The higher you sit up, the more air resistance you generate.
Add all the little extra resistances together will add up.
Also if you're not as fit/strong as the person in front then it's harder to keep up.

Luck ........... :biggrin:

Top Bottom