AF and Laser ablation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Houthakker

A Happy Wanderer
I've had AF (atrial fibrillation) on and off for a couple of years now and am booked in for a laser ablation in a couple of weeks to burn off the nerve endings that cause it. Anyone else had this, and if so how long were you off cycling for (Oh and by the way, did it hurt!)

Thanks

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
That's what Tony Blair had done, wasn't it?

I found a big discussion group for AFib when I was looking for similar on DVT/PE - take a look at the AFib forum.

ColinJ

Didn't Tiny Blair have cardioversion?

Shaun
Ah, I think you could be right about that.

I thought I might be needing treatment for heart rhythm problems but they have almost disappeared now my body has dealt with the clots in my lungs.

I feel sorry for anybody who has to put up with these problems on a long-term basis - they are really scary, and uncomfortable!

OP
OP
Houthakker

Houthakker

A Happy Wanderer
Just got back from my op and it was nowhere near as bad as I expected. Had to have a temperature probe up my nose and as far down as the back of the heart which was unpleasant, but then they gave me the "Good Stuff" as one of the nurses described it and I don't remember a thing after that!. A bit sore today and have been told to stay off the bike for week or so while the hole on the groin heals, then can start riding again. Hope the weather is improving by that time..

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Tony Blair has a heart?!

GWS Houth

Mummy3monkeys

GWS, hope your procedure was successful:smile:.
I always worried about my husband in case he came off his bike whilst on warfarin for his AF, and made sure he carried his card with him. He had a cardioversion, and touch wood no recurrence yet, nearly a yr on and no more warfarin.

ColinJ

GWS, hope your procedure was successful:smile:.
I always worried about my husband in case he came off his bike whilst on warfarin for his AF, and made sure he carried his card with him. He had a cardioversion, and touch wood no recurrence yet, nearly a yr on and no more warfarin.
I'm glad your husband has got off the rat posion.

It looks like I am stuck with it unless I switch to one of the newer drugs. I was worried about the bleeding risk to start with, but now I just accept it. I wear a medical tag on a chain round my neck whenever I leave the house though. I am superstitious about it so if I leave home without it and I realise before I get too far away, I go back to get it. It would just be my luck to get badly injured when I was not wearing it!

OP
OP
Houthakker

Houthakker

A Happy Wanderer
My Dr didn't want to put me on warfarin, but used a newer drug Rivaroxoban, instead. Seems it does the same job but its much easier to get the dosage right and doesn't need all the blood testing. Doesn't seem to have any side effects yet either (at least for me).
Thanks for your good wishes, the procedure does seem to have gone well and hopefully that has sorted me out. Should be off the drugs in a couple of months. Best wishes to all those who still have ongoing problems, fingers crossed for an early result for you.

Top Bottom