After 3 days I found my.............

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
....D lock. Over the years, various items have dropped from my bike, including at least 2 panniers, a walkman (into a canal- and it was the 90's before anyone goes 'a what?'), several lights and a pair of shoes (don't ask), all never to be seen again.
Earlier in the week, I was undertaking one of my more imaginative commutes home across a river lock, a few fields, through a herd of cattle, over several styles and a through a couple of kissing gates.
Anyway- I got home and found my D lock missing from the open pannier pocket it lives in (it's too big to zip pocket). Anyway, I thought, I'll never see that again, shame another £30 down the drain.
I decided to come home that way again last night, and there, sitting forlornly atop a post like a lost glove, next to a kissing gate was my lock. After 3 days! It must have dropped out when I flipped the bike on its back wheel to get it through the gate. I know it's worth nothing to anyone but me, but I was certain someone would have lobbed it in the river by now. So top marks and thanks to the good ramblers and cyclists of Waterbeach/ Lode, Cambridgeshire!

Weird...I have very rarely lost stuff...apart from my wallet twice and dropped my keys outside Victoria but I heard them hit the deck...Strange I have also bought a miniature D lock from Evans today.

Nice happy ending story of yours though....:biggrin:

I've not took the NCN 1 beside the A90 in years, its way too narrow. On on of my last trips through there I clipped the fence and never thought much of it. It was only an unlucky 13miles later that I went to open the house doors to find my bar bag in which my keys and mobile were gone and there was nobody in the house. Luckily another cyclist had picked it up and dialled the last number (home) and my parents had went out to collect it :-)

chthonic

Über Member
I've only lost two things

1) a Cambridge University Library book - no idea where it fell out, but it was nowhere to be found. Had to buy a replacement which cost me £50 for the world's most boring book on architectural sketching. 2) my glasses. I heard them bounce out after hitting a pothole. The car behind helpfully stopped to tell me something had fallen out, but unhelpfully neatly parked on top of them. Still seemed to think he was doing me a favour.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
Mrs Uncle Phil and I were called back by a fellow-cyclist near Kristiansand in Norway once. It turned out our passports had both dropped out of the pocket of her pannier where she'd put them as we left the ferry over from Denmark.

Oops!

He got a very heartfelt thankyou.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I dropped a new fleece once and went back immediately to look for it and never found it... but re-bought it and I'm still wearing the replacement 3 years later - not in this weather. Other than that I'm more likely to leave something beside my bike... like my bottle - every now and again a colleague finds something I've left and returns it to me.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Not lost anything yet - touch wood.

Though I frequently drop my water bottle when I don't put it properly into the bottle holder. I always get off and collect it. I think one day afollowing motorist will squish it.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
chthonic said:
2) my glasses. I heard them bounce out after hitting a pothole. The car behind helpfully stopped to tell me something had fallen out, but unhelpfully neatly parked on top of them. Still seemed to think he was doing me a favour.
Sorry, but that's hilarious!:angry:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Indeed. :angry:

It reminded me of the time that a baseball cap I was wearing got blown off by a gust of wind. A helpful pedestrian chased after it and used his foot to stop it flying along the road. Well that was fine except when he gave it back to me he had to apologise for having dog crap on his shoe and now on my cap.

chthonic

Über Member
swee said:
NOW it is, but at the time the hassle of replacing £300 of glasses so that I could work was really not what I needed (can't make colour decisions with shades on, can't read the computer screen without glasses)

Top Bottom