After 50 years, it happened!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mr_hippo

Living Legend & Old Fart
I was undecided where to put this so feel free to move it!
I've been cycling for almost 50 years and today, it happened - my back wheel was clipped by a bus! Slight graze to right elbow and knee, bruising to left flank and KO'd for a few minutes! Yes, I have been to hospital and everything is alright.
The bike did not do as well as I! I am now sporting a new type of wheel - 10 spokes in one quadrant! Both dropouts bent, rear mech in pieces and drive side chainstay bent.
Other damage includes, smashed helmet (only 4 days old!) Old Fart jersey with a hole on on pocket (First time on!) and ATC camera mount. Police and insurance reports completed and I'm claiming a new bike as the bike is only one month old - can you safely re-bend aluminium? Have to visit the insurance company on Friday. The bus driver has admitted responsibilty.
Don't worry about me, I'll be cycling in a few days!

Zoiders

I am afraid my dear chap that the a bent ally frame is a DNR

bonj2

Glad he admitted responsibity - you're lucky, with a lot of british bus companies it's 'company policy' not to do so. It's far far too often really that people are getting barged off the road and injured at the hands of these menaces to society.

MERV

Tynan said:
bit close to that car's blind spot? certainly too
close

Who me? No chance I was right in his mirror.(I wasn't originally if you noticed till he caught cyclist up and did his left turn)

Another thing was that the cyclist in front slowed him down and also he didn't bother signalling till too late which I find happens a lot of the time.I also caught him up as he slowed down for blind corner turn.Watch the video again.It's obvious he saw me and also I half expected the left turn so it probably looks more dramatic than it was.

Also you bring this up straight after my last comment.Nice judgement of my road behavior.

Glad to hear you're OK, Mr. Hippo!

Cycling in London's a walk in the park compared to how it is in Asia and drivers' total lack of awareness/consideration for the cyclist, so it seems like you were lucky, especially as there have been one or two fatalities in the last week or so back in Blighty. :wacko:

Tynan

Veteran
not excusing the driver Merv, of course that was dreadful driving, just making the mild point that when you're that close to the thing in front you leave yourself little room to react, not saying I don't do the same every single day

not sure what you mean about the last comment thing

no biggie, honest

MERV

Im not complaining about the driving.Even put it in my video.I knew what to expect.Seriously.Im just putting videos up to show what can happen when things like this happen.I actually remember at the time I was keen to get out of the roadwork section.I dont have any complaints about the car.Apart from the signalling I guess...but thats normal.I dont actually think I was aiming to undertake.I was watching the car all the time as I was aware the left turn was coming up.I haven't got a clue why the video looks so dramatic.

Yes I did end up being close when originally I wasn't till the events unfolded.

Seemed a bit ironic that you posted the comment after my previous post.
34zad74.gif

Oh and I take it back BTW.

P.S Did you notice the slagging off of my video by a utube user and said you tube user has 2 dangerous overtakes of peds on the pavement at speed of which I would never do.Also I take it that this user is a motorist as well.

(Cycling to Work part 2)

not saying I don't do the same every single day

I did wonder.
2dsqtrp.gif

Tynan

Veteran
good

I did think it looked quite nasty, might have been if you weren't on the ball, still looks like shitty driving to me unless the angle etc is deceptive, always seems to be those people movers and oversized idiotic cars

Keith Oates

Janner
Sorry to hear that Mr. Hippo but glad to know that you are more or less OK and it's only the bike that's damaged. No doubt some TLC from the wife will also help your recovery!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Top Bottom