After funeral and a relative asks, "why don't cyclists pay road tax?"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
As soon as anyone knows I am a regular cyclist, they start having a go.

I got the "why don't cyclists pay road tax?" line yesterday after a family funeral.

I retorted with the "It's called Vehicle Excise Duty now".

On a sad day, the discussion made me even more sad.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
That's sad.

As soon as anyone knows I am a regular cyclist, they start having a go.

Is that really true? I can honestly say I can't remember anyone ever having a go at me for being a cyclist.

Sounds to me like you simply happen to have one relative who's a nobber. fark 'em. Don't let idiots bring you down.

Lavender Rose

Specialized Fan Girl
The thing is....people in general love pigeon-holing or judging, whether they say it or not. They will automatically take the minority of something and make it like everyone does it! I have to say I get angry with cyclists who go two or even 3 abreast on a busy or narrow road, making it difficult and/or impossible to safely overtake.

I always say when I am driving "these are the types of people that give us good cyclists a bad name"

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I always say when I am driving "these are the types of people that give us good cyclists a bad name"

FFS. Can I steal @ianrauk 's KERCHING! for this nonsense?

Lavender Rose

Specialized Fan Girl
It's not nonsense really....if people are cycling in big groups and taking up the lane when it is busy and/or dangerous - then that is irresponsible cycling.

When I am with another person or a group, we always go single file when cars approach. I just think its common courtesy....

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
It's not nonsense really....if people are cycling in big groups and taking up the lane when it is busy and/or dangerous - then that is irresponsible cycling.

When I am with another person or a group, we always go single file when cars approach. I just think its common courtesy....

I was referring to the other nonsense about collective responsibility.

Lavender Rose

Specialized Fan Girl
No - it's not.

See past threads ad nauseam .
So you are saying that if on a busy road there is a big group of cyclists taking up the whole lane....and it is not possible to overtake safely - then that is OK? I must be missing something.

I live in a rural area where cyclists regularly cycle in large groups taking up the whole road, and they do not move over or go single file - which is incredibly infuriating. Then they wonder why people b*tch at them :eek::dry::cursing::banghead:

Profpointy

Legendary Member
So you are saying that if on a busy road there is a big group of cyclists taking up the whole lane....and it is not possible to overtake safely - then that is OK? I must be missing something.

I live in a rural area where cyclists regularly cycle in large groups taking up the whole road, and they do not move over or go single file - which is incredibly infuriating. Then they wonder why people b*tch at them :eek::dry::cursing::banghead:

Simple answer -

If there is oncoming traffic it is unlikely to be possible to safely overtake a group in single file without crossing the line. Singling out just makes it more likely that some clown will try AND makes the group twice as long

Top Bottom