After funeral and a relative asks, "why don't cyclists pay road tax?"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I feel left out as nobody ever asks me why cyclists don't pay road tax and I work for a company that has between 200 - 300 employees during the day with a only small number of cyclists, maybe people feel there are more interesting things to converse about when talking to me, or maybe it might be the fact I don't take some moral high ground because I cycle or bore the tits off of people about how healthier I am or how my green foot print is so impressive, or constantly bleat about motorists, who knows ....

I've never had it at work either but have had total strangers shout at me about it for no reason other than I was there.

Well done Sir.

Is that to me?

Bit of an assumption there.... ;)

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
I was on a club ride a few years ago and one car driver took offence to us driving two abreast . So much so that they pulled alongside to have a go at us and then the woman passenger jumped out of the car while it was still moving .
They wanted to get past to turn left so if we where single file as they suggested .......
As to the OP . I had the same when i rushed to York after my Mums stroke . The first thing the rest of the family did when they rocked up is spout about cyclists riding and getting in the way . I agree with @Drago

In reality, it's unlikely to add any time to their journey, since overtaking you sooner will only get them to the back of the next traffic jam that bit quicker. At worst, it's likely to be a matter of seconds rather than minutes.
Yeah, you're not wrong.

I had a nastily close pass from a van this morning. I was already riding quite far out (avoiding a loose gravelly patch where some surface dressing always accumulates near a junction to my left and a pothole to my right, and just before a temporarily re-jigged bit of road due to a building site where there's a distinct kink in the road and they've put central bollards separating the two lanes) when I spotted a new-since-I-last-rode-that-stretch-2-weeks-ago surface hazard on the line I was taking and moved an extra few inches (possibly as much as 6 of them) to the right to avoid it as a van decided it needed to get past before the lane separation bollards started. It might have been as much as a foot from my shoulder as it accelerated past me before cutting sharply left because of the aforementioned jink. It must have been at least 10 feet ahead of me by the time I got past the bollards and pulled over into the right filter lane for my junction, as the van driver had to apply the brakes because of the slow moving traffic approaching the roundabout ahead... It wouldn't have caused any delay to them at all to just hang back for a minute until the road was wider, clear and with decent sightlines.

But everyone was OK, and the sun was shining, and the commute was otherwise rather pleasant. Edit to add - also, a friendly driver going the other way stopped to let me make my right turn even though that meant that a vehicle turning left minor to major out of the road I was turning into got ahead of them. They also got the big grin and a cheery wave treatment.

*finding my zen*

Last edited:
Do that round here and I'd spend most of my ride in gateways.

On my roughly 8 mile "Friday commute" there are four places I regularly stop. Three of them are where there is no safe way to overtake ragardless of what oncoming traffic there may be - the sightlines are too poor. One is on a decent length straight section where vehicles can safely overtake if there is no oncoming traffic but I make the choice to pull over into a convenient bus stop layby if there is two way traffic because it is more pleasant than spending a mile with an HGV or an impatient comuter tailgating me.

I reckon that those four stops, if all of them are needed, typically add between 3 and 4 minutes to my commute. That's pretty insignificant in the the grand scheme of my day - I could drink my last coffee before setting off a bit quicker and save more time.

I have experienced a few shocking close passes on that road, even when there was no oncoming traffic. But also quite a lot of considerate, careful respectful ones - I have twice felt moved to contact a company (the same one on both occasions) via social media to ask them to pass along my appreciation for their driver's professional care and attention towards vulnerable road users. It's good to pass along the good, cheerful stuff.

Kajjal

Guru
The simplist guide is if you have a huge queue of traffic behind you and you are the cause hop off the road , let it pass and get back on the road. Horse riders do this and so do pedestrians, cyclists are no different.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Every citizen has free access to the pubic highway.

You can walk, cycle or ride a horse on a public highway without restriction or a license.

Motor vehicles and their drivers are only allowed on the public highway under license. There is no explicit right of access, both the vehicle and the driver must pass a test before they are allowed.

Motorways and other restricted roads don’t allow bikes, pedestrians or horses but no one moans about that.

As mentioned many times above “road tax” is a pollution tax. Pedestrians and horses don’t pay it either, but have full access to the highway.

queue of traffic behind you and you are the cause and there is a safe, appropriate place for you to do so hop off the road , let it pass and get back on the road.
I'd add the bit in bold, myself....

[QUOTE 5254935, member: 10119"]Yeah, you're not wrong.

I had a nastily close pass from a van this morning. I was already riding quite far out (avoiding a loose gravelly patch where some surface dressing always accumulates near a junction to my left and a pothole to my right, and just before a temporarily re-jigged bit of road due to a building site where there's a distinct kink in the road and they've put central bollards separating the two lanes) when I spotted a new-since-I-last-rode-that-stretch-2-weeks-ago surface hazard on the line I was taking and moved an extra few inches (possibly as much as 6 of them) to the right to avoid it as a van decided it needed to get past before the lane separation bollards started. It might have been as much as a foot from my shoulder as it accelerated past me before cutting sharply left because of the aforementioned jink. It must have been at least 10 feet ahead of me by the time I got past the bollards and pulled over into the right filter lane for my junction, as the van driver had to apply the brakes because of the slow moving traffic approaching the roundabout ahead... It wouldn't have caused any delay to them at all to just hang back for a minute until the road was wider, clear and with decent sightlines.

But everyone was OK, and the sun was shining, and the commute was otherwise rather pleasant. Edit to add - also, a friendly driver going the other way stopped to let me make my right turn even though that meant that a vehicle turning left minor to major out of the road I was turning into got ahead of them. They also got the big grin and a cheery wave treatment.

*finding my zen*[/QUOTE]

Beautiful post, Crinks!

Top Bottom