Age awareness when buying a new bike.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I am planning to buy a new Trek Domane bike and sometimes wonder what the sales assistant think when a 70 year old turns up and inquires about such a bike.
I should think they are more used to selling ebikes or hybrids to people of a certain age.

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
I don't suppose they'll give a Tommy so long as you have the folding to pay for it.

For my friend's 75th birthday last year he bought himself a full drum kit (he used to play in a group in the 1960s). That definitely caused some interest in the shop assistants.

I see a lot of people in their 70s riding carbon road bikes or gravel bikes.

Boomers Rule.

What is this obsession with age 70?

The government have been hammering at us for the past 18 months saying the moment you reach 70 you will die of this virus. I think they want us to die so they don't have to pay our pensions and don't have to give us social/medical care. Plus they get all that tax revenue when we die. They are now saying the age of vulnerability has been reduced to 60, so watch out folks.

When we reach 70 we are free from worrying about kids and grandkids and can do what we want with our money. If 20 year old shop assistants can't get their head round that them stuff 'em.

We are not a ready for the knacker's yard.

Went out for a MTB ride tonight and got the living daylights scared out of me by a guy on an Ebike as I didn’t hear him behind me as he overtook me. He certainly wasn’t 70. Mid 40’s early 50’s at best so I doubt the shop assistant will bat and eyelid at a 70yo buying a Trek Domane especially as it’s a relaxed endurance bike.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Who cares?

Ajax Bay

Guru
Plus they get all that tax revenue when we die.
How does that work then? Only 4% of estates of UK residents who die are subject to Inheritance Tax. And by definition they are seriously rich (in assets) so can afford it. 600,000ish die each year. 4% of that is 24,000. If those 600,000 lived an extra 2 years wouldn't they pay more income tax (on pension) than the amount raised annually in IHT.
I agree with @steveindenmark :okay:

Remember when we were wee lads serving those aged 50, 60 and 70 and what we thought of them. My guess is the first question will be if you are buying the bike for someone else. To preempt such questions ask what the race geometry of the Domane like as the first question. There will be an immediate reset of the mind and the stereotype falls away.

Last edited:

RoMeR

Über Member
What is this obsession with age 70?

The government have been hammering at us for the past 18 months saying the moment you reach 70 you will die of this virus. I think they want us to die so they don't have to pay our pensions and don't have to give us social/medical care. Plus they get all that tax revenue when we die. They are now saying the age of vulnerability has been reduced to 60, so watch out folks.

When we reach 70 we are free from worrying about kids and grandkids and can do what we want with our money. If 20 year old shop assistants can't get their head round that them stuff 'em.

We are not a ready for the knacker's yard.
Couldn't have put it better

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Remember when we were wee lads serving those aged 50, 60 and 70 and what we thought of them. My guess is the first question will be if you are buying the bike for someone else. To preempt such questions ask what the race geometry of the Domane like as the first question. There will be an immediate reset of the mind and the stereotype falls away.
Funny, I was just thinking about this as I was wandering along the other day. I think conceptions of age and abilities have definitely changed. I couldn’t have imagined my mum going out running and cycling in her early 60s but it just feels much more normal and accepted now. Have we got fitter or just our expectations of what we can do has changed?

Top Bottom