Age...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnnyh

Veteran
OK, in a nutshell my lad is entering his second season as an u14, and he wants me to give racing a go.

I commute about 150 miles a week, have done for 3 years or more on the bike, I get in weekend rides when possible and am comfortable riding in a group. I've mainly done distance riding (100+ mile days), and a few shorter Audax events.

I'm not afraid of hard work, when I cant ride in a day I usually end up on a turbo or the rollers, but....

is 42 too old to start faffing around with races?

I certainly wouldn't want to just be there to make up the numbers.

Thoughts? "Pack it in you old fart", or "get out there and give it some" ?

:biggrin:

Worth a go - there are many people far, far older than that still racing and competing successfully. The demands of 4th cat circuit racing are a lot different to the demands of long distance riding or audaxes though...

Roadrider48

Voice of the people
Is it something you want to do for you?
Any sport is about competing and the thrill of it. Age is relative if you enjoy what you do.
My advice would be, if you want to, do it! But most of all, enjoy it! No one will be judging you except yourself.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I started last year, at 43, with similar mileage, etc. and did 4 races in Aug/Sept.

Give it a try. I did and sort of enjoy it; I'm having another go this year. If it doesn't work out then my youngest, who's 9, can have a go instead since he's thinking about racing and I don't want to get beaten by a 9yo.

Mind you we're doing a 35+ mile ride into the hills together tomorrow!

Last edited:
I got back onto racing a couple of years ago after coaching some youngsters and them pushing me to take them on...it was hard, and I still can't beat them but I'm glad I did it. I might be last, but at least I am measuring up and not dícking about in sportives!

VamP

Banned
42 is not too old. I was older than that when I started racing.

OP
OP
johnnyh

johnnyh

Veteran
Hehe I hope I'm still a way off a funeral plan :smile:

I think it's one of those things that if I don't do soon then I never will.

Best up the training and not embarrass myself then :smile:

screenman

Legendary Member
I took up a new sport, well to me at least which is swimming, I hope to do a few open water events next year. My age well very nearly 58, growing old is compulsory growing up is not.

With some 70 and even an 80 year old going under the hour for a 25tt you are just a spring chicken, I have many pals in their seventies still racing on a very regular basis.

Go for it, the worst is you do not like it. Better to have tried something once than never tried it at all.

zizou

Veteran
40-50 is probably the most common age group at 3rd and 4th cat level....some of these guys will have been raing since they were kids but most are relatively late starters

Top Bottom