Age...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavintc

Guru
IIRC @gavintc started racing as a cat 4 when he was 50.
Yes, on my first road race I was 52. I did 2 races in UK and then moved to Italy. As a direct result of their handicap system, I was actually more competitive in Italy and did 3 more races. Sadly, a bad accident out training one day 3 years ago stopped my progress - broke my femur from the ball joint at the hip.

Yes, on my first road race I was 52. I did 2 races in UK and then moved to Italy. As a direct result of their handicap system, I was actually more competitive in Italy and did 3 more races. Sadly, a bad accident out training one day 3 years ago stopped my progress - broke my femur from the ball joint at the hip.
Sorry to hear about the accident but good going otherwise.

Big John

Guru
There's life outside BC, you know. There's racing for guys over 40 with the LVRC (Google LVRC and see what comes up - League of Veteran Racing Cyclists) where you can race guys in your own age category. Also racing in the TLI (Google that one too - The League International) is age related. Both require a licence but they're cheap and the races aren't expensive either. I started racing when I was about 50 and I'm doing it now at 57. If you saw the quality of these riders you'd soon realise age is no barrier. At 42 you'd be classed as one of the youngsters! lol

MissTillyFlop

Evil communist dictator, lover of gerbils & Pope.
OK, in a nutshell my lad is entering his second season as an u14, and he wants me to give racing a go.

I commute about 150 miles a week, have done for 3 years or more on the bike, I get in weekend rides when possible and am comfortable riding in a group. I've mainly done distance riding (100+ mile days), and a few shorter Audax events.

I'm not afraid of hard work, when I cant ride in a day I usually end up on a turbo or the rollers, but....

is 42 too old to start faffing around with races?

I certainly wouldn't want to just be there to make up the numbers.

Thoughts? "Pack it in you old fart", or "get out there and give it some" ?

:biggrin:

of course not, now get on your bike before I bring the pipe, slippers and a copy of the people's friend...

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
and don't forget Reg Harris - won the British UK sprint title at the age of 54!
Impressive performances from him then, but it doesn't look good for the young riders about at the time who should have been winning. (There is no way that even a great sprinter aged 54 should be able to beat top young sprinters in their prime.)

oldroadman

Veteran
Impressive performances from him then, but it doesn't look good for the young riders about at the time who should have been winning. (There is no way that even a great sprinter aged 54 should be able to beat top young sprinters in their prime.)
Hmm...you have to ask how a 54 year old (albeit a former world class rider) could manage to beat all the top end young sprinters through the rounds, and then beat the fastest sprinter of his time in the final. I feel a stretch in my credibility muscle. Still it as a bike manufacturer funded "comeback" and there was doubtless plenty of cash around, and it was pro racing. But we shall never know as both finalists are sadly no longer with us, one at a good age and one taken by illness far too early. It made news and good publicity for a certain sponsor, though.

Top Bottom