Age...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldroadman

Veteran
Definitely worth having a go. Hopefully with all the riding you have done you will have gained some group etiquette experience. Starting at 4th cat level will be a challenge, first from the shock of race speed (even 4ths can be quick at times) and also the lack of skills shown by many newcomers.
Overcome the first by doing some interval work well before you think of racing, this has two effects, your body will get used to going into the red for short periods (1-2 minutes) and recovering before doing it all again, and stamina will improve.
Remember lower category races are quite short, less than 90 minutes - 120 minutes a lot of the time, and start on closed circuits so you only have to look out for other riders at first. Your rides will have prepared you for long periods on the bike, but try to keep speed good, otherwise there is a danger of training yourself to go too steadily for competition.
Past 40 the climbing starts to be more of a problem, this is something that happens to all of us, but with a bit of work (big gear climbing in training, for example) strength can be maintained up to a point.
Never too old? A (literally) old friend of mine ran the London marathon in 3-30 something a few years ago at 73!
Last, and most important, join a proper club that is focussed on road racing, and soak up all the advice you can get, better still, if there is a decent coach use their advice.
Take care of yourself and others, and enjoy!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
A friend of a friend still road races and he must be well into his 70s. He has a good sprint and still gets the odd win.

I met a cyclist in his 80s who was still riding despite numerous health problems. I had a long chat with him and he told me that he had done a 100 mile TT in about 4.5 hours when he was in his late 60s.

OP
OP
johnnyh

johnnyh

Veteran
heheh thanks all for the input, I do intervals on the turbo with a HR monitor, and I can push myself, especially on hills - the benefits of being 63KG and 5'8" :smile:

I used to play football to a fair level and am not afraid to train hard, so hopefully I can ramp up my commutes again (used to have a very hilly 15 miles down to 46 mins, but have rather got used to a steady ride in and the time has crept up as a result), and I can get out with a faster group on the weekends once more.

Exciting innit :smile:

Oh and as an incentive my Christmas pressie turned up today, a pair of Sidi Genius 5-FIT... when I feel worthy I shall allow myself to wear them and not just look at them :biggrin:

Soup890

Crazy
I started last year, at 43, with similar mileage, etc. and did 4 races in Aug/Sept.

Give it a try. I did and sort of enjoy it; I'm having another go this year. If it doesn't work out then my youngest, who's 9, can have a go instead since he's thinking about racing and I don't want to get beaten by a 9yo.

Mind you we're doing a 35+ mile ride into the hills together tomorrow!
bloke I take my hate of to you

oldroadman

Veteran
I started last year, at 43, with similar mileage, etc. and did 4 races in Aug/Sept.

Give it a try. I did and sort of enjoy it; I'm having another go this year. If it doesn't work out then my youngest, who's 9, can have a go instead since he's thinking about racing and I don't want to get beaten by a 9yo.

Mind you we're doing a 35+ mile ride into the hills together tomorrow!
You know you're getting older when your kids start giving you pain on the climbs..and when it hurst on the flat to follow their wheel, well that's even older! Mind, I can still slaughter 'em on the descents, experience is the one thing I've got on my side!

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Your absolute age will not be a problem, of course coming late to the sport will have an impact, but you should perform just fine. FYI, our clubs most prolific time trial winner is the same age as you, he wins almost everything that he enters and holds our club 10 mile TT record at 18:47 (set last year). Of course he has been racing for years, but you get the point.

Peter Armstrong

Über Member
I'm 30 this year, I’m 12 year younger but after only two year of cycling, 1st year just leisurely weekend rides, and last year training for triathlons. This year I’m just focusing on cycling, you’re probably way fitter than me with all the cycling you do but hey! I’m giving it ago; I’m going to do some cat 4 racing!!!! Woooo!

Sharky

Guru
Still racing and will be 64 next month.
Keith

Sharky

Guru
That's a bit scary, I'm closer to Robert than the young chap you see in my picture, yet I can still remember fixing that puncture and getting to the finish as if it was yesterday! Guess I'd better start training for the "hour" now, only 38 years to get fit in.

I have a technical question - how do you fit Keo cleats to carpet slippers?

screenman

Legendary Member
That's a bit scary, I'm closer to Robert than the young chap you see in my picture, yet I can still remember fixing that puncture and getting to the finish as if it was yesterday! Guess I'd better start training for the "hour" now, only 38 years to get fit in.

I have a technical question - how do you fit Keo cleats to carpet slippers?

With Denturefix.

Top Bottom