Aggressive dogs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ronmac

Couldn't find any posts on this and as it must affect all of us, I thought I'd start one.
Last week I was cycling on a country road. Just meandering, enjoying nature, enjoying being outdoors.
I heard growling and turned to see a Rottweiller and another dog charging towards me from the open double gates of a property. I'm not afraid of dogs, but as I had nothing to protect myself with I decided to get off my mark, which I did with rottweiller snapping at my pedalling heels.
I now cycle with a short metal pipe handy. I don't know if I'm breaking the law, but if that Rottweiller had gotten hold of me and I had the pipe, I'd have had no hesitation in cracking it's skull.

bianchi1

Guru
Try cycling in rural France. Dogs just cant help chasing cyclists, and while the odd small yappy thing isnt to much of a problem, a pack of snarling farm dogs guarding their bit of road is not much fun. I was forced to retreat to a safe distance and shout F#CK and SH#T untill the farmer came out to see what all the fuss was about and shut his hounds of hell in.

Willow

I meant to put a similar thread on yesterday and forgot. I am not an animal lover, just wary of them really as didn't have any when I was growing up. I had two dogs snarling and making chase when I was out yesterday. They were not rottweilers probably some sort of lab cross so I guess relatively tame but not to me. I stopped as they made chase barking at me. But what I want to know is why did I find myself apologising to the owner and saying it doesn't matter when it clearly does.

On a similar vane it drives me mad when my boys play their school football matches and people are walking dogs off the lead and let them actually run all over the football pitch. What planet are these people on.

Willow

bianchi1 said:
Try cycling in rural France. Dogs just cant help chasing cyclists, and while the odd small yappy thing isnt to much of a problem, a pack of snarling farm dogs guarding their bit of road is not much fun. I was forced to retreat to a safe distance and shout F#CK and SH#T untill the farmer came out to see what all the fuss was about and shut his hounds of hell in.

wow that's just reminded me of a walk we had several years ago when the boys were small and we went across a public footpath on a farm. we were all absolutely terrified for the same reason and eventually someone came to our rescue.

OP
OP
R

ronmac

bianchi1 said:
Try cycling in rural France.

Funny you should say that, Bianchi1. I'm off on my first cycle tour in 2 weeks time, and guess where I'm going ?
Yup, you got it - rural France (Northish).
I'll have my trusty bit of pipe down the side of my belt. Don't get me wrong. I wouldn't hit a dog if it's only chasing the bike and even snapping at my heels. A lot of domestic dogs do this. I don't think most domestic dogs would actually attack the cyclist. But if a dog has actually bitten me and is still attacking then I don't think I have any option.
A short aftermath to my original story. I reported it next day to the police who then went to the property. On being made aware of what had happened the owner was in no way sorry or apologetic. He said to the policeman "Yeah he does tend to run at cyclists". At least the policeman then gave him a formal warning and told him to keep his dog under control.

chirk2000ad

dealing with dogs.
Fact - dogs love chasing bikes and their riders. I wonder if it has something to do with the spinning ankles that they just can`t resist?
I have had loads of run ins with dogs of one sort or another. My other half says its cos they can smell the fear and that may be true as they never go for her!
My tips - well you could shout and I have tried that in the past with some effect. Stones I would only try in really remote places with really wild dogs! But my top tip is a full water bottle. I have stopped wild french and spanish dogs in their tracks with a jolly good squirt from a full bottle right up the nostril!

OP
OP
R

ronmac

chirk2000ad said:
dealing with dogs.
Fact - dogs love chasing bikes and their riders. I wonder if it has something to do with the spinning ankles that they just can`t resist?
I have had loads of run ins with dogs of one sort or another. My other half says its cos they can smell the fear and that may be true as they never go for her!
My tips - well you could shout and I have tried that in the past with some effect. Stones I would only try in really remote places with really wild dogs! But my top tip is a full water bottle. I have stopped wild french and spanish dogs in their tracks with a jolly good squirt from a full bottle right up the nostril!

Excellent idea, Chirk. I can throw my metal pipe away. Only one query, wouldn't the acid eat away at my bottle.

Seriously though, I do think that is a good idea to deter dogs which may be chasing bike but I think I want something more effective if large, angry dog is actually attacking me and may actually be endangering my life !

p.s. Another dog recently bit my ankle and when I gave it a kick the owner attacked me with a log (really). But that's another story

chirk2000ad

I have seen another technique which is quite comical in some survival handbook or other on dealing with dogs where it says something along the lines of wrap arm in blanket and then knock dog over the head as it grabs your arm. Not so useful when on a bike I guess?

OP
OP
R

ronmac

A method which I know actually works if your game to try it and strong enough to carry it out. Put the curvy bit of your hand between thumb and forefinger in dogs mouth and wrap your fingers round lower jaw. A dog is quite helpless if you can hold it like this. But he will twist and turn his head to try to get out of it. While holding a dog like this he is at your mercy. You could poke his eyes out with your other hand. Or you could continuously kick him/her where it really hurts.
As I've said before I only recommend doing any of this i if you feel in great danger. I wouldn't really want to hurt an animal unless really necessary.

ASC1951

Guru
ronmac said:
a Rottweiller and another dog charging towards me from the open double gates of a property.
Report it to Plod. Dogs aren't allowed to chase people on a public road, so it is 'out of control'. Plod will at least record it for later.

I was chased and bitten by an Alsation a few years ago while out running. It's not pleasant.

OP
OP
R

ronmac

ASC1951 said:
Report it to Plod. Dogs aren't allowed to chase people on a public road, so it is 'out of control'. Plod will at least record it for later.

I was chased and bitten by an Alsation a few years ago while out running. It's not pleasant.

I did report it to plod asc1951, here's what I wrote a few posts back :

A short aftermath to my original story. I reported it next day to the police who then went to the property. On being made aware of what had happened the owner was in no way sorry or apologetic. He said to the policeman "Yeah he does tend to run at cyclists". At least the policeman then gave him a formal warning and told him to keep his dog under control.

yello

I live in rural France and the dog thing is true. Most farms/homes have a dog. Some pets, some farm dogs... and some out-and-out hunt dogs. Though, in fairness, the hunt dogs are usually caged or chained.

So it is certainly not uncommon for me to have dogs run out and chase me. I probably get it a couple of times a week and I've learned to ignore it. Yes, it was pretty frightening on a couple of occasions (still can be sometimes) but I have never been bitten (touch wood!). As chirk2000ad suggests, it just seems to be what some dogs do - but I don't think there's necessarily any intention to bite. I've only once had a dog actually touch me; he butted my leg with his nose.

I've been off'ed by a dog though. A playful, young, gallumping yellow lab. It bounded up alongside me then cut across my front wheel. Henceforth, I was more concerned by her than any off the other usual mutts that barked and ran at me! Haven't seen her in a while now, praps she did the same with a tractor!

Top Bottom