Aggressive dogs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MichaelM

Guru
dpiper said:
If he comes at you with mouth open (and you have winter gloves on) ram your fist down its throat. If its got something stuck in its throat it wont be able to close its jaws (this is the only one of the above methods I havent yet proven for myself!!)

more at www.tra-velo-gue.co.uk

If a dog comes at you with mouth open, with it's tongue lolling all over the place, then you're not in any danger at all. It wants to say hello and have a play.

It's the quiet fixed stare and maybe licking of the lips, tail up followed by a head on charge that you want to worry about.

Other than that, I strongly suspect that a dog can close it's jaws a lot faster than most people can push their hands forward!

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Crackle said:
Wait, wait: What's left then. No farmers, no horses, no dogs, no POB's, no cars or lorries, that leaves..................................just you in the world Bonj.

Only seriouse cyclists will be left in the world.
Which means i will still be here:thumbsup:

ChrisCrc

i have been bitten twice over the last 20 years by people letting their dogs roam off the lead. The first time was a Greyhound/Irish wolfhound type of dog and it sank its teeth into my Calf and i was cycling along minding my own business, luckily the force of my pedalling broke the dogs grip on my leg, still i was left with a bloody leg and the owner just said "oh he's never done that before". the second time was a small yappy thing that must have taken offence to soething or was in a bad mood:ohmy:

I now always carry a Cheap Camera Phone and if the situation does occur again i will take photos and will sue their arses...

dpiper

"If he comes at you with mouth open... " of course I meant not with his tongue lolling. I think everyone on this forum knows the difference between good and bad dog body language.

A lot of the comments above seem to assume you'll have all the time in the world to fish about in your panniers to find your sonic scarrer / lead pipe / pump etc.

You dont.

A dog that means business moves quickly. If its gob is open get your fist down its throat; if it jumps up grab both legs and pull apart.

The advice above is based on real attacks from real dogs. If things have got to the stage where the dog is attacking these are your best defences and you have to be merciless.

I am a dog lover. Really I am. But we are not talking poochy pets are we? On tour outside the UK there are such things as wild dogs and working dogs that are bred to kill wolves or anything it percieves as a danger to its flock / herd etc. So in these situations you have to be ruthless

rich p

ridiculous old lush
dpiper said:
"If he comes at you with mouth open... " of course I meant not with his tongue lolling. I think everyone on this forum knows the difference between good and bad dog body language.

A lot of the comments above seem to assume you'll have all the time in the world to fish about in your panniers to find your sonic scarrer / lead pipe / pump etc.

You dont.

A dog that means business moves quickly. If its gob is open get your fist down its throat; if it jumps up grab both legs and pull apart.

The advice above is based on real attacks from real dogs. If things have got to the stage where the dog is attacking these are your best defences and you have to be merciless.

I am a dog lover. Really I am. But we are not talking poochy pets are we? On tour outside the UK there are such things as wild dogs and working dogs that are bred to kill wolves or anything it percieves as a danger to its flock / herd etc. So in these situations you have to be ruthless

Do you live in rural Montana by any chance?:biggrin:

OP
OP
R

ronmac

I couldn't agree with you more dpiper. You put things much better than I was able to. I think I was giving some people the impression I'm like a seal clubber. Go out and club every dog I can find in the countryside. Not so - I like friendly dogs. In fact this afternoon I cycled along a country road I often go on just to see this labrador who greets me in a friendly manner and happily runs alongside bike for a while.

But - Since that Rottweiller rushed at me last week I now have contingency in place in case I am actually attacked by an aggressive animal. And my contingency isn't in my pannier etc, it's close to hand. I'll also bear your advice in mind. I'll tell you what it certainly gives one a bit more confidence when cycling in country areas.
I better repeat, it's only for use if I'm actually being bitten, mauled, savaged - call it what you will.

seano

The bottle of water is your only man. Had to dismount before this puerto when one large and two smaller shepards dogs took exception to me passing. Shielding myself with the bike while empting litre and half while inching my way backwards, fortunatly I was on the right side of their domain when they attacked. Have never supported an animal charity since!!!

http://www.seanoreilly.4t.com/images/hpim0909.jpg.

Interesting thread.

Got to say, after nearly 30 years cycling, mostly rural roads/lanes (South Warks and now West Somerset), have been chased by a dog precisely once (farm dog, came out of nowhere, got fed up chasing me once I'd left his "patch" of lane presumably).

Been "chased" by single brain cell motorists, for some perceived slight :biggrin:, more often.

Do some of you wear a distinctive aftershave:biggrin:

OP
OP
R

ronmac

Toshiba Boy, Fair comment and I hope the Rottweiller occurrence was a one in thirty years. Unfortunately it only takes one ferocious attack to do a lot of damage. The chances of it happening are probably quite remote. A bit like an airplane crash I suppose. So - the contingency plan stays in place but I certainly don't want to be cycling around worrying about getting savaged by a dog.

p.s. Domestic dogs chasing the bike don't bother me at all.
p.p.s. Don't start me on aggressive people ! Another issue. Gosh, I cycle to chill out.

It strikes me that some of you guys expect problems from dogs, and so create a self fulfilling prophecy. What I can tell you is that dogs are masters of reading body language, and if you act scared of them, they will react to that.
I've been brought up with dogs, and I currently own a large Alsatian/Collie cross. In a lifetime of owning and dealing with dogs, guess how many dogs have bitten me?
None.

OP
OP
R

ronmac

Chris667, I agree with you that a dog can sense fear in a person. But the rottweiller that charged at me started it's charge long before it got close enough to know if I was afraid of it or not. In fact I was looking the other way, I heard it before I saw it.
As it happens I am not afraid of dogs and can usually placate a dog that approaches me in an unfriendly way - i.e. what your saying in reverse, it senses I'm not afraid so drops the aggression.
However this is not my experience of Rottweillers and Bull Mastiffs and the like. These dogs don't seem to give a toss if you're not scared of them - they'd still have a go at you if they have a mind to.

OP
OP
R

ronmac

Statistics. Like I said in an earlier post it's probably a bit like the chances of being involved in an plane crash.
So statistically maybe I've had my aggressive dog incident and hopefully it won't happen again.
I don't include domestic dogs chasing the bike. I think that happens quite a lot, and it doesn't really bother me.

mike1026

dogs are dangerous

If anyone is any doubt about the potential dangers posed by dogs have a look at this BBC report there have also been many (too many) incidents in the UK.

If a dog chases/attacks you while you are passing on the road, please report either to the Police or the Dog Warden take photos if you can. Please do this for the next cyclist who will pass after you.

To those who are skeptical because they have never been a victim one might as well say because I have never died then surely I will live forever!

There is a problem not with the dogs but with the owners; not controlling a dog is an extreme form of anti social behaviour.

Perhaps the moderaters of this site can organise a survey to see how many of us have been victimised in this way.

Top Bottom