Aggressive dogs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
yello said:
I've been off'ed by a dog though. A playful, young, gallumping yellow lab. It bounded up alongside me then cut across my front wheel. Henceforth, I was more concerned by her than any off the other usual mutts that barked and ran at me! Haven't seen her in a while now, praps she did the same with a tractor!

You are Marcus Burghardt, and I claim my five pounds.

Bodhbh

Guru
Dogs off the leash are driving me a bit nuts atm, as I'm taking the 6 mile local cycleway into work, it being dry not muddy. With the size of them, my main concern with most of them chasing, is they'll stick their head in the wheel and end up sausage meat. Like horses charging at pikemen, maybe this is one thing no animal is daft enuff to do in practice, tho I've had a couple making contact with the tyre.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
I've not been chased but did come embarrassingly close to falling off when a sudden bout of yapping caught me unawares. The dog in question wasn't much bigger than my foot, I'd have had trouble living that one down.

Was chased and bitten twice as a child but both times we were sneaking around on farms and knew the risk.

andym

Über Member
ronmac said:
p.s. Another dog recently bit my ankle and when I gave it a kick the owner attacked me with a log (really). But that's another story

I'm not a dog lover, and I've no time for irresponsible dog owners, but it sounds to me, from your posts, that you risk some serious violence sooner or later. Seriously, reread your posts - it sounds to me like you are in real danger of making a bad situation a lot worse.

As far as I'm concerned the most sensible thing to do, if you aren't very clearly in a position to outrun the dog, is to get off your bike - so stopping the game of chase, and then put the bike between you and the dog. And then shout at the dog to go home. hopefully the owner won't be too far away.

If you are dealing with sheep (or goat) dogs then don't put yourself between them and the animals they are guarding.

PS - I don't know if Corsica is different from the rest of rural France, but my experience with dogs there has been that they are generally extremely soppy, and usually too idle to even get up, never mind chase you - unless of course they think there's some food involved.

OP
OP
R

ronmac

andym said:
I'm not a dog lover, and I've no time for irresponsible dog owners, but it sounds to me, from your posts, that you risk some serious violence sooner or later. Seriously, reread your posts - it sounds to me like you are in real danger of making a bad situation a lot worse.

Andym, With respect, I think YOU should re-read my posts. I've made it clear I would only use violence if a dog had bitten me and persisted with its attack and I feel endangered. Especially large, aggressive dogs.
Whether it's a dog or a person one is allowed to use the amount of force required to defend oneself.
The last thing I want to do is harm a domestic dog for chasing me/my bicycle.
I don't see how you can make the judgement that I would make a bad situation worse if you don't know how I react to a dog that's only chasing my bike. And to be honest I usually react pretty much as you suggest. Get off the bike, put the bike between me and it, and try to be friendly with dog in first instance. If that doesn't work I then talk in a firmer tone of voice. If that doesn't work I would try to walk away, if it follows growling etc..that's fine, as long as it doesn't attack.
I'm sure some of the other posters won't agree with this approach. If the dog is being territorial then stopping on it's patch isn't going to appease it.

And by the way my wife is absolutely terrified of dogs

andym

Über Member
ronmac said:
Andym, With respect, I think YOU should re-read my posts.
I don't see how you can make the judgement that I would make a bad situation worse

Really? Read your posts:

ronmac said:
I now cycle with a short metal pipe handy. I don't know if I'm breaking the law, but if that Rottweiller had gotten hold of me and I had the pipe, I'd have had no hesitation in cracking it's skull.

ronmac said:
A method which I know actually works if your game to try it and strong enough to carry it out. Put the curvy bit of your hand between thumb and forefinger in dogs mouth and wrap your fingers round lower jaw. A dog is quite helpless if you can hold it like this. But he will twist and turn his head to try to get out of it. While holding a dog like this he is at your mercy. You could poke his eyes out with your other hand. Or you could continuously kick him/her where it really hurts.
As I've said before I only recommend doing any of this i if you feel in great danger. I wouldn't really want to hurt an animal unless really necessary.

ronmac said:
Excellent idea, Chirk. I can throw my metal pipe away. Only one query, wouldn't the acid eat away at my bottle.

Seriously though, I do think that is a good idea to deter dogs which may be chasing bike but I think I want something more effective if large, angry dog is actually attacking me and may actually be endangering my life !

p.s. Another dog recently bit my ankle and when I gave it a kick the owner attacked me with a log (really). But that's another story

You were talking about carrying offensive weapons - pipe and acid. You've already been involved in violence with a dog owner. You wonder why I think you're on course for a very nasty violent confrontation?

dpiper

I carry a whistle. I startles the dog so you have a few extra seconds to escape. Likewise at night I blind them with my helmet mounted light.

Most dogs are territorial so once they see you off their patch they are happy.

If all else fails get the bike between you and the dog and walk off slowly keeping eye contact.

If that doesnt work, throw stones.

If that doesnt work, wade in! A dog may jump up at you - try to grab its two front legs and pull them apart dislocating its shoulders.

If he comes at you with mouth open (and you have winter gloves on) ram your fist down its throat. If its got something stuck in its throat it wont be able to close its jaws (this is the only one of the above methods I havent yet proven for myself!!)

more at www.tra-velo-gue.co.uk

xilios

Veteran
I've read somewhere that diluted ammonia stops everything, (including dogs) and I think its legal (to carry) everywhere.
But finding a good delivery system is difficult.
Ideas anyone?

Bodhbh

Guru
xilios said:
I've read somewhere that diluted ammonia stops everything, (including dogs) and I think its legal (to carry) everywhere.
But finding a good delivery system is difficult.
Ideas anyone?
Water pistol?

I think that's pretty nasty for the eyes, alkalis normally are (adsorp thru the eyeball). It's bad enough what they do to the skin. Mace is legal in France? Mace the dog, and if the owner objects, mace him too. If he's still giving bother, bomp him with the D-lock.

OP
OP
R

ronmac

andym said:
Really? Read your posts:
You were talking about carrying offensive weapons - pipe and acid. You've already been involved in violence with a dog owner. You wonder why I think you're on course for a very nasty violent confrontation?

Andym, I can't make it any clearer. I only advocate retaliating with violence if bitten and feel endangered. An aggressive dog like that won't stop, you have to stop it. I intimated that in each of the three posts you cut/pasted.

Yes I've been involved in violence with a dog owner. HE attacked me (with an offensive weapon, in this case a log) for kicking his dog who had just bitten me in the ankle as I cycled past, minding my own business. I could have inflicted violence on him, but I didn't, I only believe in violence if necessary to protect oneself. Violence begets violence, I don't advocate it unnecessarily, and really wish we lived in a world where violence didn't occur.

Would you use a short piece of pipe or wood if you had it and were being savaged by a rottweiller?

The comment about acid was meant in jest.

bonj2

I think all dogs should be shot.
There's one down the road leading to my village which is usually on its lead but one time it got out and started chasing me, it looked a lot like a pit bull. It tried to keep up but I accelerated and it couldn't run at 20mph for more than a few seconds.

bonj said:
I think all dogs should be shot.
There's one down the road leading to my village which is usually on its lead but one time it got out and started chasing me, it looked a lot like a pit bull. It tried to keep up but I accelerated and it couldn't run at 20mph for more than a few seconds.

Wait, wait: What's left then. No farmers, no horses, no dogs, no POB's, no cars or lorries, that leaves..................................just you in the world Bonj.

Top Bottom