Ah, those sweet sounds whilst cycling ...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
Out on a utilitarian ride this morning (my wife had forgotten her packed lunch - brownie points available!), I ambled along over to the other side of town enjoying the sun and skylarks. And for the umpteenth time, wondered what it is about bicycles that get dogs barking, even when they can't possibly see you. I even thought about posting a thread on here about it to get your thoughts and ponder whether it's high-frequency noises ... then considered the fact that I don't think I've ever heard a skylark singing over Ipswich.
My bike has developed an intermittent squeak.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
the thud of potholes :smile:

I've been riding steel frame/downtube shifters a lot recently and was reminded early on just how much quieter a well set-up steel racing bike is than its carbon fibre equivalent: just the satisfying tick of the freewheel and almost silent shifting. That lower noise floor has left a lot more headroom in town for the cries of angry motorists, window-rattling sub-woofers and the snap, crackle and pop of overtuned Corsa exhausts on the overrun which are currently in season round here 😄

Punkawallah

Über Member
Out on a utilitarian ride this morning (my wife had forgotten her packed lunch - brownie points available!), I ambled along over to the other side of town enjoying the sun and skylarks. And for the umpteenth time, wondered what it is about bicycles that get dogs barking, even when they can't possibly see you. I even thought about posting a thread on here about it to get your thoughts and ponder whether it's high-frequency noises ... then considered the fact that I don't think I've ever heard a skylark singing over Ipswich.
My bike has developed an intermittent squeak.

I'd guess mudguards or seat. My rear mudguard bridge needs regular oiling if I'm to avoid bedstead noises going uphill, and my saddle reminds me if it's not tight enough on the post :-)

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Tyres on tarmac. The creak of my Brooks.
The creak of my knees:ohmy:

D

Deleted member 1258

On one of my loops, going through a woody tree lined road, I hear a noise of a car right behind me. But when I look, there is nothing there. Put it down to the wind blowing through the trees and my helmet or was it a ghost car?

Might be a Bird, there used to be one round here that had got the truck reversing beeper of to a T, confused me one day till I worked it out.

Top Bottom