"Air Bag" Jacket

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Heard this on Daily Express Radio Five Live this morning - they'd rigged Nicky Cambell up with one and set it off. Great radio.:smile:

Can maybe see the sense for motorbikes, but probably too bulky, heavy and hot for cycling. Also we get into the whole helmet argument again - airbag jackets for pedestrians?

Bollo said:
Heard this on Daily Express Radio Five Live this morning - they'd rigged Nicky Cambell up with one and set it off. Great radio.:smile:

Can maybe see the sense for motorbikes, but probably too bulky, heavy and hot for cycling. Also we get into the whole helmet argument again - airbag jackets for pedestrians?

Also demonstrated on tv news this morning. Looked rather like a nautical life preserver when inflated. I agree about the practicalities - can't see most cyclists going for it.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Or we could do one like those exploding dye-filled boxes the security firms use to transport cash. A certain type of driver thinks nothing of driving over us - we're not human after all, but if they knew their pride and joy was going to be splattered with indelible purple dye the moment we came together, they might think again.

JamesM

Not sure if it would work as well for cyclists. It relies on a kind of rip cord system to attach it to the bike. I would imagine it needs to be strong enough to not be triggered accidentally, you could end up just pulling your bike along with (and repeatedly into) you since it's substantially lighter than a motorbike.

Either that or it would go off with a strong wind or when you get off your bike forgetting to detatch it first.

gbb

Legendary Member
No good for cyclists at all IMO.
Most injuries to cyclists (i would imagine ) are to the arms, head or legs, because impacts tend to be low speed.
The jacket would only protect the torso...with no effect on the (more) vulnerable areas. You could protect the torso just as effectively (if you thought it were neccessary) with lighter, cheaper, body armour.

Let alone (as stated) how would you get it to go off on a bike.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Origamist said:
I prefer my home-made air bag protection: XXXL Altura Night Vision jacket stuffed with 800 marshmallows.

Just pray we don't get a heat wave. They'll melt!

At which point, you'll become Goo Mason...

Or if you have a cafe stop and walk off forgetting to unplug!

What really amused me though was the high standard of reporting yet again.

The lovely xray in the report showing metalwor and implying the injury would be prevented is of a PELVIS - below the jacket and would not be protected by the jacket!

Top Bottom