Air Con Unit

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Any body have one and what do you recommend???

i just bought an air cooler that uses frozen ice packs and its working a treat

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
I've never had much luck with the frozen ice pack ones. I brought a cheap (relatively) portable Air Con one from Argos last year Princess? i think, just for the living room area and it works a treat been useful this past week.

On balance though, i'd recommend the highest BTU rated aircon you are willing to spend on for the best affect. Something around the range of 20,000 BTU (20K) is a better option. Keep in mind that you need to have an exhaust pipe hanging out you your window which will need a universal fitting kit most likely. We have a universal curtain type thing which is stuck on with velcro and the pipe is sealed around that.

OP
OP
J

jowwy

I've never had much luck with the frozen ice pack ones. I brought a cheap (relatively) portable Air Con one from Argos last year Princess? i think, just for the living room area and it works a treat been useful this past week.

On balance though, i'd recommend the highest BTU rated aircon you are willing to spend on for the best affect. Something around the range of 20,000 BTU (20K) is a better option. Keep in mind that you need to have an exhaust pipe hanging out you your window which will need a universal fitting kit most likely. We have a universal curtain type thing which is stuck on with velcro and the pipe is sealed around that.
next year im having a split air con unit fitted when i have the extension built........so be happier then, just wanted to know if people have one and what they got.

but have to be honest, this freezer pack one is working a treat, the dog is loving life

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Or for a low-tech version better put screens outside to shade your south facing windows and hang wet linen over your open windows on the side of your house where the breeze is coming from - it'll cool the incoming air by evaporation.

Save a fortune in electric bills.

OP
OP
J

jowwy

Or for a low-tech version better put screens outside to shade your south facing windows and hang wet linen over your open windows on the side of your house where the breeze is coming from - it'll cool the incoming air by evaporation.

Save a fortune in electric bills.
windows are closed to stop the cats getting out....to many cars around here and they might get squished

so air con it is.....and its strange to hear a cyclist quote "saves Money", but probably has 3/4/5 bikes in the shed lol

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
i dont drink....rather spend my money elsewhere

Spend it on cold beer and I'll drink it for you!

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Not sure it's worth it for a few days a year. spend the money on cold beer :smile:
After the week we've had in Wales it feckin' well is.

I'm a lousy sleeper at the best of times, but it's been a nightmare. We've lived here twenty years next month and the two downstairs ceiling fans that were here when we arrived have never been switched on once - until this week when we've had both constantly running, supplemented by a portable fan plus another one running all night in the bedroom.

Mate across the road has fitted an air con unit, it cost around £500 and he reckons it's brilliant. I might look at something a bit cheaper for the bedroom.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
We've had one about 15 years - exhausts out the window - I use mesh to stop the 'house cats' getting out. Two of our bedrooms are south facing, with the third facing west, so they get sun most of the day. The house being reasonably modern is well insulated, but it doesn't half retain the heat. Ours has been running non-stop for the last 5 days. We've got an awning on the back of the house, which keeps the kitchen and lounge cooler as the sun comes round.

They aren't quiet, but you get used to the noise.

OP
OP
J

jowwy

We've had one about 15 years - exhausts out the window - I use mesh to stop the 'house cats' getting out. Two of our bedrooms are south facing, with the third facing west, so they get sun most of the day. The house being reasonably modern is well insulated, but it doesn't half retain the heat. Ours has been running non-stop for the last 5 days. We've got an awning on the back of the house, which keeps the kitchen and lounge cooler as the sun comes round.

They aren't quiet, but you get used to the noise.
yes i got the awning on the back of the house too......but this building loves to maintain the heat, its showing 27* on the thermo at bottom of the stairs, that was at lunchtime today and its cooler than the last few days outside

OP
OP
J

jowwy

After the week we've had in Wales it feckin' well is.

I'm a lousy sleeper at the best of times, but it's been a nightmare. We've lived here twenty years next month and the two downstairs ceiling fans that were here when we arrived have never been switched on once - until this week when we've had both constantly running, supplemented by a portable fan plus another one running all night in the bedroom.

Mate across the road has fitted an air con unit, it cost around £500 and he reckons it's brilliant. I might look at something a bit cheaper for the bedroom.
ive seen single units for £349......but then theres fitting to add to that too, so not bad really. Would be a god send in the bedroom that for sure

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Top Bottom