Airfix. "That's all you need to know"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

longers

Legendary Member
I was too impatient for airfix and would stick them together before painting them properly.

I've got depressing photos of the factory in Hull which I rode past last year :smile:.
I'll post them later this week when I get round to it.

snorri

Legendary Member
longers said:
I've got depressing photos of the factory in Hull which I rode past last year :biggrin:.
Hull, hehe memories of a B&B establisment I stayed at on the T de E, the hot and cold sink tap tops had been reversed by some earlier guest, and breakfast was delayed while I could not help but hear through the wall the landlord enjoying his conjugal rights and the sighs of ecstasy from the landlady.:smile:

snorri said:
Hull, hehe memories of a B&B establisment I stayed at on the T de E, the hot and cold sink tap tops had been reversed by some earlier guest, and breakfast was delayed while I could not help but hear through the wall the landlord enjoying his conjugal rights and the sighs of ecstasy from the landlady.:smile:

I hope they painted all their bits before sticking them together..!

NickM

Veteran
Yes, I remember the 1:24 Spitfire, and the skeleton*, and the Beefeater and the Black Prince... I was mainly a toy soldier enthusiast, and used to fight big battles, using increasingly complex rules, with my friend Randy (sic) every Sunday afternoon. We had between us Romans, Ancient Britons, Napoleonics, American Civil War armies, and WW2. Did anybody else have Donald Featherstone's wargames books?

I eventually moved on to naval warfare with home-made balsa ships, and then outdoor air/sea battles with Airfix 1:600 ships and "aeroplanes" which were no more than circles of card with aircraft profiles drawn on, slid up and down (for different altitudes) lengths of wire stuck into the lawn... ah, the challenge of simulating battle in three dimensions to the 12-year-old mind!

*I seem to remember that Revell or Aurora did a "Revealed Man" with transparent skin and internal organs on show. Of course, we were more interested in the Revealed Woman...

longers

Legendary Member
As I said, here's the photos I took

2191320302_df0bcf40df_m.jpg

and
2191317404_36b8f766dc_m.jpg

They would have been better if I'd crossed the road but hindsight is wonderful eh?

longers

Legendary Member
Bugger, it would have been better if I knew what I was doing ;). The first has a "To Let" sign next to the Airfix logo :sad: and the second has "I Love You Mam" sprayed onto the plane. Not that you can tell from those.

I thought they were sad but if you have to explain stuff it usually loses it's meaning.

Abitrary

Until this thread, I thought Airfix had gone bust or something in the 1980s.

The plane outside looks like a hawker hunter

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
Didn't they do a 1:24 model of the Mosquito as well? If that were still available I think I would buy it even now as it has to the be the most beautiful plane ever built.

Arch

Married to Night Train
I've got the part built balsa skeleton of the Supermarine Attacker Tom was building before he died - part of me wants to cover it and finish it, and fly it with the Jetex motor it's meant for, but the other part doesn't want to muck it up or crash it. Lovely looking plane, and I have a photo of my Dad landing one on a carrier.

I did Airfix kits as a kid, and Tom did too, and he said he wanted to do an Auster, but could never decide whether to have the wheels, skids or floats on it, and didn't have the money to do three. One day, I'll do one, and give it one of each in his honour ;) I was one of those impatient kids, so all my planes had wonky undercarriages, where I tried to stand them up before the glue was really dry. And stuff in different scales, so my Spitfire was twice the size of my Harrier, but it never stopped me playing with them together.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Iused to like doing the aeroplanes now and again...but couldn't be faffed doing them properly (e.g. painting the bits and letting them dry before you stick 'em together), so used to bodge them together quickly, paint badly and generally destroy them after a bit. I was really proud of my Concorde though (oo'er) which was very big (about 2 feet long). My mum accidentally sat on it and broke its nose. :biggrin:

Arch

Married to Night Train
Speicher said:
I used to make model houses for model railways, yes I know very easy peasy, but I was only lickle at the time. :biggrin: My Big brother now has a OO train set, he might need some help with the buildings etc. Can you suggest a site to look at?. Hornby seem only to do station buildings, and they seem to be already coloured. That saves on paint and might be the place to start, but does anyone do anything more elaborate. I think his layout is circa 1960. This would be for me to do the "odd" building, I think he does his from scratch, lots of balsa wood etc around in the house shed containing his layout. He might want some aeroplanes, but in 00 guage that might be a bit small.

I've enjoyed doing buildings, from kits. I did these for a pedal powered layout:

layout010.jpg

layout008.jpg

Any decent model shop should have a rack of kits of make up and paint. Or as Mr Paul says, pick up a copy of one of the railway modelling magazines for suppliers of kits and stuff for building from scratch.

Much better I think to do your own, you can choose colours and individualise the buildings, and be as detailed as you like. Of those above, I almost like the little garage best, I got that weathered just right, and you really wanted to go and open the doors to see what wonderful old car might be parked inside...

col

Legendary Member
That looks great Arch,iv always wanted to do something like this in my attic,and use the flying scotsman kit iv had for a few years now,and only been out of its box once,but as usual,never get round to it.

Arch

Married to Night Train
col said:
That looks great Arch,iv always wanted to do something like this in my attic,and use the flying scotsman kit iv had for a few years now,and only been out of its box once,but as usual,never get round to it.

I'm not so much into the railways side of it, but I like making little scenes. Dioramas, I guess. Here's a country scene in N scale.

diorama002.jpg

I have nearly all the stuff ready to do a little urban archeaological dig, must get round to finishing it...

col

Legendary Member
You definitely have the effects off,looks very good.Iv always wanted to do a miniature version of my home town country, and stations.Iv dabbled in the diorama side a long time ago,but with different themes,science fiction mainly,and not very good at that;)But ill make a start sometime,eventualy:smile:

Top Bottom