Airfix. "That's all you need to know"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Aperitif said:
Grrr! Chris is right to point out that any self- respecting Airfixologist would, sooner or later, diversify into the wold of balsa wood.

yep! Airfix didn't catch on here. We started two rubber band balsa models before Xmas - estimated completion time, late Feb. (allows time for two lego tecchnic models) Spare balsa has been purchased for inevitable errors.

Well! The bloody plane caught fire as I tried to light the fuse - all that work and thanks to the dope residuals - instant ash!:biggrin:

:?::biggrin::biggrin:ROFL:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Noodley

Aperitif said:
The bloody plane caught fire as I tried to light the fuse...

You should have stuck with proper Airfix planes. :?:
Stuff the cockpit full of cotton wool, set fire and lob out of high window.

Funny you should say that...

Another thing that caught my attention was 'constructing' hot air balloons from wire coat hangers, a dry cleaning plastic bag - you know, those wincy thin ones - and a big dollop of cotton wool soaked in meths. They stayed up for ages and ages (but not sure where they descended too :tongue::wacko::biggrin:) Anyone else done this?

I also was a big fan of Airfix models as a kid in the 70's.

However, this was put somewhat in the shade by a guy I knew, a retired copper, who decided to recreate a US Armoured Division from the Normandy landings. The last time I saw him he was about 90% finished, there were literally hundreds and hundreds of models completed, to a very high standard, absolutely unbelievable. I would add that he lived alone :tongue:

Another thing that caught my attention was 'constructing' hot air balloons from wire coat hangers, a dry cleaning plastic bag - you know, those wincy thin ones - and a big dollop of cotton wool soaked in meths. They stayed up for ages and ages (but not sure where they descended too :wacko::biggrin::biggrin:) Anyone else done this?

More and more I realise I led a boring life as a child...

:tongue:

gbb

Legendary Member
Ex Airfixer here...christ, the models ive had, built then shot up with lumps of earth on the path...or an air rifle when i got older :tongue:

Also progressed onto balsa..my pride and joy was a 6ft wingspan freeflight glider that'd break 20lb breaking strain line as you towed it up :ohmy:.
My older brother broke that one....'let me have a go' he said....'make sure you launch it slightly upward' i said....
No...the retard launched in straight into the deck :wacko: Smashed to pieces...:biggrin:

Also spent a whole week cutting and building from scratch plans a small (3 ft wingspan maybe) glider, flew it the first time....forgot to 'build in' some trim on the tail.....and it flew off into the distance on its maiden flight.
I ran miles after that plane, trying to keep my eyes in it...crashing through hedges, jumping dykes..all to no avail :biggrin:
That just about finished me with balsa...

Also used to love the little ethane powered engines...cant remember what the make was, they did a whole range (UK manufactured).

Airfix started it all.....

By the way...a friend who's still into model making reckons Airfix are the lowest of the low nowadays....very poor quality.
Personally, i wont have a word said against them...we argue about that a lot :biggrin: I keep threatening to buy him one for christmas

ChrisKH

Guru
Aperitif said:
I turned to weedkiller and sugar in tobacco tins experiments after that...:tongue:

Weren't they great? I would have a heart attack if my sons tried the same. Don't ask me where we got the weedkiller from. We used to put a nail through the bottom of a used deodorant/hairspray canister (dangerous in itself) fill them up with weedkiller/sugar and then create a fuse made of paper straws (eg those used by Humphrey and his mates "watch out , watch out, theres a Humphrey about........") which contained the same mix. Ergo hand grenades. Used to great effect on the rat population (together with air guns and home made bows and arrows) at the local dump. :wacko:

col

Legendary Member
gbb said:
Ex Airfixer here...christ, the models ive had, built then shot up with lumps of earth on the path...or an air rifle when i got older :tongue:

Also progressed onto balsa..my pride and joy was a 6ft wingspan freeflight glider that'd break 20lb breaking strain line as you towed it up :ohmy:.
My older brother broke that one....'let me have a go' he said....'make sure you launch it slightly upward' i said....
No...the retard launched in straight into the deck :wacko: Smashed to pieces...:biggrin:

Also spent a whole week cutting and building from scratch plans a small (3 ft wingspan maybe) glider, flew it the first time....forgot to 'build in' some trim on the tail.....and it flew off into the distance on its maiden flight.
I ran miles after that plane, trying to keep my eyes in it...crashing through hedges, jumping dykes..all to no avail :biggrin:
That just about finished me with balsa...

Also used to love the little ethane powered engines...cant remember what the make was, they did a whole range (UK manufactured).

Airfix started it all.....

By the way...a friend who's still into model making reckons Airfix are the lowest of the low nowadays....very poor quality.
Personally, i wont have a word said against them...we argue about that a lot :biggrin: I keep threatening to buy him one for christmas

I think the argument about them being not so good now,is from the breed of,it has to be perfect in everyway, to what its a model of.As far as im concerned,it looks like it,and if i do a good job putting it together,and painting it,its a beaut.

Abitrary

Did anyone else actually join the airfix modellers club? I used to get relentlessly goaded at school for it but it was worth it.

My favorite was a 1/72 English Electric Canberra jet, which I had a particular affection for because I put the the canopy on before the paint had dried in the cockpit, and for some reason it still looked wet for years afterwards. I didn't want to take the canopy off to see if it was actually still wet because it would have spoilt the magic.

Bigtallfatbloke

the appollo rockets were too easy and quick....the boats were the best with the rigging and having to paint all the details etc ..i would spend days doing them

col

Legendary Member
I didnt join the club,buuut,i was into the skeleton model,the angels plane from capt scarlet,and phantoms,my brother was into the box's of little soldiers and gun emplacements.Great memories of those times.

Oh,and i always wanted those auroura monsters,but couldnever afford them.

the appollo rockets were too easy and quick....

I still have a couple in dissembled state in a box on top of the wardrobe. Impressive when painted up, but a bit 'tab A in slot B' and featureless, must admit. The big scale Eagle lunar lander was more fun - sticking on the gold foil... getting the spidery, folding legs to - er - fold... trying to keep the cat from eating the decals before I could use them...

:tongue:

Abitrary

col said:
I didnt join the club,buuut,i was into the skeleton model,the angels plane from capt scarlet,and phantoms,my brother was into the box's of little soldiers and gun emplacements.Great memories of those times.

Oh,and i always wanted those auroura monsters,but couldnever afford them.

I did an excellent 1/48 F14 with an actual radar inside the nose cone. (it was actually a Revell kit I think, but we're all friends in the modelling world)

col

Legendary Member
Abitrary said:
I did an excellent 1/48 F14 with an actual radar inside the nose cone. (it was actually a Revell kit I think, but we're all friends in the modelling world)

I still love phantoms,maybe its the shape,or its nostalgia,but they are great looking in my eyes.

Top Bottom