Airfix. "That's all you need to know"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
For that little scene, I wanted some sheep to be lying down under the tree, in the shade, like. So I got some of the little sheep, and cut their legs off. Bit barbaric, but it looked just right (although the 'grass' is too rough really, for a chalk downland).

You can't see in the photo, but the bikes have silver cranks and black pedals and black saddles. Needed a very fine brush!

classic33

Leg End Member
Odd reading through the kits people built & then realising I'd done some of them myself. More Matchbox than Airfix though.

Anyone who wants a copy of the old colour charts let me know, I'll scan & send them.

When it comes to the paints I have nine different blacks in the humbrol range. Anyone else remember the Authenticolour range.

The Hawker Hunter in the picture sold for £6000. You had to remove the wings & other lifting surfaces prior to transporting it away.

Arch pick up a copy of Hobbyist for a range of alternate figures for the railway layout. Or you could wait for the release of the latest range.

Melvil

I did a lot of airfix kits when I was a kid and, a couple of months ago, purely for the nostalgia trip , I bought a Revell kit of a airplane I'd particularly admired (a MiG article 1.44 prototype since you ask). Jeez, I now wonder how I had the concentration and skills....I was a bit rubbish in assembling it :-( - but I still did the whole 'shhhheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeoooooooooooooooow' flying past my head bit when I'd put it together!

Cheddar George

oober member
The one that sticks in my mind from when i was a kid was the Lancaster bomber, "Dambusters", complete with the bouncing bomb. Four big black propellors with yellow tips - it looked bloody brilliant.

Brock

I wasn't so keen on the big bomber types.. Although all the gunner pods were fun, somehow the detail just didn't look as convincing as on the smaller planes.

I remember I did one of these too:
P-38J_1.jpg

Which was quite cool.

col

Legendary Member
Brock said:
I wasn't so keen on the big bomber types.. Although all the gunner pods were fun, somehow the detail just didn't look as convincing as on the smaller planes.

I remember I did one of these too:
P-38J_1.jpg

Which was quite cool.

Is this your work ? very impressive stuff.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Cheddar George said:
The one that sticks in my mind from when i was a kid was the Lancaster bomber, "Dambusters", complete with the bouncing bomb. Four big black propellors with yellow tips - it looked bloody brilliant.
I did that one too!

Abitrary

Cheddar George said:

The trouble with lancasters, or indeed any british bomber, was that you were generally expected to paint them black because they only flew at night

Abitrary

Brock said:
I wasn't so keen on the big bomber types..

The main problem with the bombers, was that to put on a convincing ceiling display in your bedroom, you had to have some same scale small fighters, spitfires and hurricanes, and they were too easy and tedious to do.

A friend at primary school used to mix different scale bombers and fighters, and when he looked for compliments about his albeit enthusiastic ceiling display, I had to tactfully change the subject

surfgurl

I bought Mr Surf 3 airfix kits and a new wagon for his train set for Christmas. You wouldn't guess he is nearly 47.
He has been planning a layout for his train set, which he is starting to build. It's a small coastal town in WW2 complete with harbour and obligatory pile of scrap aircraft. Well he has to use some of the models that got broken in the last house move.

yenrod

I'm coming out :ohmy: : I'm an Airfixy too...

[Much relief] :biggrin:

I made a Spitfire and I think I got a USAF jet, still the Spit' was my fave...

Its been going round in my head, recently, coming into thoughts from knowhere....

And I find this thread...;)

Me buys on PD :biggrin::tongue::tongue::tongue::tongue::tongue:

yenrod

surfgurl said:
I bought Mr Surf 3 airfix kits and a new wagon for his train set for Christmas. You wouldn't guess he is nearly 47.
He has been planning a layout for his train set, which he is starting to build. It's a small coastal town in WW2 complete with harbour and obligatory pile of scrap aircraft. Well he has to use some of the models that got broken in the last house move.

I believe this aint complete w.out pix ;)

I was never into the aircraft, but until quite recently I was a bit of a fan of building the Airfix steam locomotives. I built a 9F, a Standard 4 and a GWR "Prarie" 2-6-0. My plan was to build a little diorama of BR in the 1960s, complete with dead locos being towed to a scrapyard, so I've still got lots of models with the conrods missing, all painted to look neglected and unloved. God knows where they are though.

Top Bottom