Airless tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rossw46

Airless tyres popped up on my facebook feed yesterday, so I did a bit of digging.

Made by Tannus, easy to fit, 6000mi +, NO PUNCTURES, lighter than most clinchers, years of development and research, no need to carry pump, tubes, CO2 cannisters, tyre levers etc, equivalent pressure of 100 PSI, lots of different colours (if you're into that / london hipster etc.) and sizes.

Even at around £50 per tyre it's looking attractive to me. But am I missing something. I feel like it's too good to be true. Help me out....

For clarity, I've had 2 punctures in the past 12 months doing a lot of miles, on Conti Gatorskins, and personally I don't consider that bad at all, but ZERO punctures and less weight, why hasn't everyone got them already ?

screenman

Legendary Member
I have not tried them recently but the one's I did ride offered me little in the way of cornering confidence.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
If you pop 'Tannus' in the search box top right, a good few threads about them pops up including some on going reviews.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
From what I can gather from elsewhere on the web, Tannus is the best attempt at solid tyres yet.

But some riders don't like the ride of them, particularly in corners which has always been a bugbear of solid tyres.

Quite a fiddle to fit which might be worth it in exchange for no punctures, but a broken spoke would be an 'oh dear' moment.

Historically, solid tyres are hard on wheels and spokes.

It seems likely Tannus will be the same.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
A pal of mine rode solid tyres (quite some many years ago). They shook his bike apart. Old news but I'd need to be very convinced of newer attempts at solid tyres.

Chris S

Legendary Member
But some riders don't like the ride of them, particularly in corners which has always been a bugbear of solid tyres.
Somebody on another forum said they kept coming off on corners on solid tyres. They were so dangerous that they asked for a refund and got it.

Top Bottom